Flow Rider - Freedom/Liberty

mrdood

I have searched and read many reviews, I am planning my next cruise and am getting pressure from the teen/college kids to make sure we book a ship with FlowRider....

For those of you that have been on the Freedom, is this mainly dominated by the teenagers? Are there long waits? If you had older teens/college kids, did they feel that was the greatest thing on board???

The itineraries I want to do would put us on a different ship than the Freedom, so I am trying to figure out how much of a sacrifice I or they would be making.

Thanks!

My husband and I were on the maiden voyage of Freedom and the flowrider was very popular because it was the first of its kind. We found that people of all ages used the flow rider and we used it serveral times as well. I was standing in line talking with the man next to me and he was 72. I am sure that it is still popular but it is not open all the time and sometimes they open just for the little ones, I think it was 12 and under. Freedoms itenerary is less then desireable because it seems all Caribbean cruises end up at Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but Haiti is unbelievable! I would like to visit there every year. If you do choose to go on Freedom or Liberty I would recommend that you try the flowrider because it is much easier than it looks and it is a lot of fun.

If you do choose to go on Freedom or Liberty I would recommend that you try the flowrider because it is much easier than it looks and it is a lot of fun.

What? Maybe the Boogie-Boarding, but the surfing is hard! That little board doesn't have a fin, so it's very unstable.

Mrdood, the line had people of all ages. The surfing line goes quick because everyone wipes out so quick. The boogie boarding lines goes much slower, but they put a barrier down the center of the Flowrider so two can go at once.

I have searched and read many reviews, I am planning my next cruise and am getting pressure from the teen/college kids to make sure we book a ship with FlowRider....

For those of you that have been on the Freedom, is this mainly dominated by the teenagers? Are there long waits? If you had older teens/college kids, did they feel that was the greatest thing on board??? If you travel when school is out there are likely to be long lines for the FlowRider. As mentioned, it is popular with ages, but obviously with teens. Also as mentioned, the surfing is very difficult and I didn't see anyone that lasted more than a second or two on the board with the exception of the instructor.

The itineraries I want to do would put us on a different ship than the Freedom, so I am trying to figure out how much of a sacrifice I or they would be making. To be honest, I would go with the ship with the better itinerary. The FlowRider is not open all the time and the times it is open are divided between surfing anf boogie-boarding. While it may be an attraction, I wouldn't base my choice of a cruise on it. Unless your kids are currently avid surfers I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks!

When we went in August/September on the Freedom, the lines were dominated by younger people, but we saw people of all ages on it. DH and I both tried to surf a couple of times, and it's tough. The boogieboarding is fun, and you can stay on for quite a while.

We found the best time to go for short lines was early in the morning, before everyone else got out of bed. We were both able to get through the lines about quite a few times each during the hour session before boogie boarding began.

My husband and I were on the maiden voyage of Freedom and the flowrider was very popular because it was the first of its kind. We found that people of all ages used the flow rider and we used it serveral times as well. I was standing in line talking with the man next to me and he was 72. I am sure that it is still popular but it is not open all the time and sometimes they open just for the little ones, I think it was 12 and under. Freedoms itenerary is less then desireable because it seems all Caribbean cruises end up at Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but Haiti is unbelievable! I would like to visit there every year. If you do choose to go on Freedom or Liberty I would recommend that you try the flowrider because it is much easier than it looks and it is a lot of fun.

Freedom will be alternating between eastern and western caribbean cruises starting in May, so there are now more options. Liberty will also be doing alternating eastern and western.

Archived