SuperStar LIBRA

deck 9 001

Perhaps flash terminals are nice where you embark or disembark the vessel but for intermediate ports of call are they really that important as you are off the boat and into a bus or vv in no time so as long as it is a wharf so what ? On last SS Gemini cruise the vessel basically used container berths in Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang and they were quite clean and tidy and adequate for the purpose. Also by using basic berths at intermediate ports would no doubt incur lower wharfage costs for STAR which are included in passenger fares.

A classic case of a wasted terminal was at Laem Chebang where one gets off at what is built as a passenger terminal, but is basically un-inhabited and you just walk through this empty sort of big shed . Again 5 minutes your'e on a bus so thats why there is nothing open or staffed.

This is very true in Naha and Ishigaki, Japan also. The ports are commercial and there are no proper passenger terminals, as below

100_0008_2.jpg?t=1189834456

But as you say, kuldalai, once pax are off the ship they arestraight aboard tour buses, so no need really for a passenger terminal.

100_0013_2.jpg?t=1189834608

Perhaps if Star Cruises return to Thailand (Laem Chabang) that empty passenger terminal may well be fixed up.

SS Gemini is scheduled through Laem Chebang 6 times in the 2008 season northbound to Hong Kong, and based on info previously posted by SSV SS Virgo will do a few South China Seas cruises in 2008 which no doubt would also visit Laem Chebang .

SSV are we any closer to STAR releasing (i) SS Virgo itineraries for the rest of 2008 and (ii) SS LIBRA itineraries out of Port Klang/Singapore whilst SS Gemini is down under in Australia ? Star are incredibly late this year other lines have their itineraries ex Aus out right up to March 2009 .

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from yet another wonderful cruise with Libra. This was a 3D/2N high seas cruise. The Libra, staff and crew were, as usual, superb. I disembarked noticing a slight tightness in my slacks around my waistline. Wonder if the good food had anything to do with it?:rolleyes:

I really enjoyed this sailing as I finally got to experience some "motion" from Libra. All my past cruises have been in waters that were so calm that the ship was rock steady. But Mother Nature had different plans on this cruise. Maybe due to a recent typhoon in this area the seas were choppy and the sky was dark with, at times, heavy rain.

SuperStar Libra handled the seas marvelously! Sure there was some gentle roll and pitch, but it was nice actually. No pax seemed to have ill effects from the motion and everything continued as planned.

I was occupying a Deck 7 cabin extreme forward and was expecting to feel some real "rock and rollin" there, but again, Libra handled the sea conditions admirably. Oh well, can't have everything:D

Anyway, looking forward to my next cruises, and the special sailing to Hong Kong.

This photo shows one of the "better" moments that Mother Nature gave us.

100_0018.jpg?t=1190634738

Thanks to all onboard Libra for another really wonderful cruise. See you soon!

Mike

SSV and SSR will not be in SIN/PKG area anymore. Due to a concentration of resources in HKG.

SSQ will take over SSV but I doubt the itineraries will be the same. Can't possibly have SSQ doing 5-night cruises with such basic facilities.

One wonders if STAR are ever going to publish itineraries for the rest of 2008 for Virgo, Aquarius, Libra .

They are now almost 2 months late on when they were posted last year. Their marketing is hopeless . Weeks after announcing the GEMINI itineraries for rest of 2008, they are still not up on their website . Do their marketing people know what they are doing ? The new itineraries should be on the website in parallel with the press release . They put out a press release for 7 day Straits of Mallaca cruises headed "21 day South China Sea Cruises". You send them a polite e-mail pointing out the glaring error and they just ignore you . What is it about Asians not wanting to lose face, and admit when they are wrong ? Most un-professional .

Hi all,

Today's 3D/2N High Seas cruise has been canceled due to the Very Big typhoon Krosa, which is heading directly to Taipei Libra will stay alongside at Keelung, which is a good protected port.

If weather conditions are okay by Tuesday, Libra will do a special overnight cruise and resume the normal schedule on Wednesday.

My sincerest wishes for all onboard SuperStar Libra to stay safe and out of harms way.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Star Cruises has just released the itineraries for SuperStar Libra ex-Hong Kong. Seems like a varied and nice cruise schedule with popular ports of call.

You can view the itins at this link:

http://www.starcruises.com/Itineraries/Hongkong/index.html#SSR

Mike

P.S. Just returned from another wonderful weekend cruise aboard Libra. Food, entertainment (new production show "FE") and service were all superb.

Hi Vera, yes it was a wonderful cruise once again aboard Libra. I used this cruise for some R&R and enjoyed it very much.

Regarding Sanya in Hainan Island, I have been there during all seasons and found it comfortable always. If you want to enjoy swimming and lots of outdoor activities, then late spring and summer would be the choice.

FYR here is a small roundup of the climate for Hainan Island.

Mike

P.S. SuperStar LIBRA will have some very interesting and unusual itineraries ex-Keelung for the 2008 season. Star Cruises will probably release the official itineraries very soon.

Climate

Hainan is an ideal place for all year swimming and bathing. The island also provides winter refuge from the cold, and is a great summer resort. Between September and April are the most popular seasons to visit and in the coolest months of December and January it is very pleasant too, when the air is fresh and temperatures less extreme than in the summer months.

The best time to visit Haikou is between October and May. Rainy season here falls between September and April and typhoons descend on the island between June and September. On average during this time the island is hit by a typhoon every 10 days.

The eastern coast of Hainan has a long summer and it is humid all year round. The best time to visit here is between November and March.

The western coast of the island is generally hot and dry. Heavy rains affect these parts between September and October and it can be a little colder here than elsewhere on the island in the winter months due to the cool breeze coming from the sea.

In winter, Sanya is the best destination in terms of climate. Even in the coldest month of January, the temperature here stays above 20 degrees. The seawater, with a temperature of no less than 20 degrees all year round, is ideal for swimming.

The central highlands are situated about 500 to 600 meters above sea level. Temperatures here are pleasant all year round and not extreme. Even in July the climate here averages about 25 degrees centigrade.

Hi SSV, thanks for the welcome back. Unfortunately I have been slightly "under the weather" for the past couple of weeks, hence my absence from the SuperStar threads. I hope to be back in full swing very soon.

Mike

Mike ~ hope you will be fully recovered soon to prop up this newsy thread. When will you be on board the SSL again before they relocate this ship to Hong Kong?

Cheers and take care.......................James:)

James hi, thanks so much for your good wishes, it is greatly appreciated.

My last sailing was on 19 October, and my next and final sailing for 2007 from Taiwan will be on 16 November. This is a "special" cruise to Hong Kong departing from Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

Cheers,

Mike

I just realized that out of all my past sailings with Libra, I was never able to get any exterior night photos of the ship. But I finally did.

This past 26 October, the Sapphire Princess called Keelung. I wanted to see this ship so I went up to Keelung. I completely forgot that SuperStar Libra would be in port that day also. I am glad I went as it finally gave me a chance for some pretty decent night shots of Libra.

Here they are. Hope you enjoy them.

Mike

1824659674_a383dd3b4f.jpg?v=0

1823838317_74cea4ef20.jpg?v=0

1824666998_cd4d78e5dc.jpg?v=0

1823849677_dc7b5dc9ae.jpg?v=0

Hi Vera, yup, I agree with you. Libra does have nice lines and is more graceful than some of the boxboats being turned out nowadays.

Whereto after the last Taiwan sailing? Well, I was looking into a cruise around some of the beautiful Philippine Islands onboard the Coco Explorer 2 (ex Caribic Star---Arcadia) but the owners of the vessel decidied not to restart this cruise service and they sold the ship.

I wanted to sail with Star Cruises during Christmas, but I have found that I must be in Thailand during this time, so I will be staying at my "small retreat" in Pattaya during the Holidays.

Perhaps in January I will fly over to Hong Kong and cruise aboard SuperStar Aquarius. All my dear friends on this ship have transfered from the Star Pisces, and they have been asking when I will come to HK and experience the Aquarius, and see them again. I also must cruise with Libra while the ship is based in Hong Kong, as I promised the staff/crew that I will indeed come visit them there.

Then again, Virgo will be coming to Hong Kong. Oh boy, so many opportunities. And Hong Kong is much closer for me than Singapore.

Royal Caribbean International's Rhapsody of the Seas will also use Hong Kong as homebase during some months of 2008. Some of the itineraries look very nice indeed. Something to think about.

Thanks for asking Vera, and I wish you a fantastic cruise aboard Gemini which is coming up very soon. Bon Voyage!

Mike

A pleasant addition to the otherwise empty and unused circular balcony (Deck 5) overlooking the Lobby (Crystal Court) has been installed.

Some nice, comfortable sofas and end tables have been put in place along the walls. A small portable "Bar" is there also for for those who do not want to go to a lounge. It is now a nice little area to relax, have a quiet conversation and listen to the piano music and/or The Trio from the Lobby below. It is also a great spot to people watch.

I understand that this is a work in progress and more will be done in the future. Here are some photos.

Mike

1911894112_77cb1df191.jpg?v=0

1911066045_6e96cea1a9.jpg?v=0

1911073675_89d5fb729f.jpg?v=0

1911915038_55adb30b4b.jpg?v=0

Archived