Hair Braiding in Grand Cayman or Ocho Rios?

bzymama

I posted this on the Ports of Call boards for Jamaica and Grand Cayman and got no response. Maybe this is a better board for it. I know somebody out there has to have had their hair braided!

I know my 3 daughters are going to want their hair braided on this trip. We have pretty long excursions planned for both Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman so I don't know if we're going to have time for this. Has anyone had this done either place that would know the details?

Like how long does it take for shoulder length hair?

About how much does it cost?

How do you find someone trustworthy to do it?

Thanks for any advice!:)

I posted this on the Ports of Call boards for Jamaica and Grand Cayman and got no response. Maybe this is a better board for it. I know somebody out there has to have had their hair braided!

I know my 3 daughters are going to want their hair braided on this trip. We have pretty long excursions planned for both Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman so I don't know if we're going to have time for this. Has anyone had this done either place that would know the details?

Like how long does it take for shoulder length hair?

About how much does it cost?

How do you find someone trustworthy to do it?

Thanks for any advice!:)

I know you asked for advice and I have none, but I will offer my opinion. I am not a mother of daughters (one son) but I would really be afraid of having their hair done anywhere but in a trusted salon. The people who do the braiding often advertise themselves with doll heads on a stick. It just creeps me out. I know that it can be an unsanitary exercise and it looks like it hurts. I would offer them some trinket that they can enjoy. I just worry about the sanitary conditions of the combs and things that will be touching your girls' hair. Maybe you could locate a reputable salon in Grand Cayman. I know this isn't what you want to hear.

--Judy

I know you asked for advice and I have none, but I will offer my opinion. I am not a mother of daughters (one son) but I would really be afraid of having their hair done anywhere but in a trusted salon. The people who do the braiding often advertise themselves with doll heads on a stick. It just creeps me out. I know that it can be an unsanitary exercise and it looks like it hurts. I would offer them some trinket that they can enjoy. I just worry about the sanitary conditions of the combs and things that will be touching your girls' hair. Maybe you could locate a reputable salon in Grand Cayman. I know this isn't what you want to hear.

--Judy

I agree with you!

To the OP-in Jamacia you will be OVERRUN with people wanting to braid your hair in the market-they are everywhere! Now in grand Cayman-I suppose you could somewhere get the girl's hair braided there-but that island the people overall are not poor-so they are not begging you for EVERYTHING-the way they are in Jamaica.

One thing I liked about Disney-is they had an on board woman who braided hair. You had top set an appiontment with her and her price was the same-$2 per braid. I wish ALL the lines did this.

If you truly want to do this, please take your own comb along. I've seen the braiders at ports and no way would I want them touching my hair.

I was a hair stylist for 15 years and once in a while would see a lice infestation on a client, usually children. It's not fun trying to get rid of the little critters, it takes a long time and a lot of work, everything has to be washed in the de-lousing soap. They don't have a socio-economic preference and will infest even the cleanest, wealthiest people.

Do your best to talk the girls out of it.

Not only take your own comb but own rubberbands, an beads as well. :D my daughter had it done in Jamica dont remember cost. But I made her take a fanny pack with her own comb an accessories. :) Better safe than sorry, and she did not have to worry about paying for there beads that are traded from person to person Ive saw them fall on the ground an be put right back in bag. :rolleyes: If you are climbing the falls and they are dead set on getting braids have each of them take along their own things the ladies can do it rather quickly, just tell them you have you own thing how much to braid, you decide.

Archived