Captain'Party vs. Captain's table

C-foxatsea

This may be a VERY dumb quesion, but I am going on my first cruise in April and wondered how do you get invited to the Captain's party? Is is only for those that are invited to his table for dinner? I have read a lot of interesting tidbits about the party, but don't know if it's for everyone or the "select few" that get invited(: Thanks for any info:)

The Captain usually has a welcome aboard reception for everyone on the ship, usually the first formal night. This has nothing to do with the Captains table. You have to be one heck of a special person or celebrity to get to sit at his table. Plus on the 5 cruises I've been on, I've never seen him in the dining room. There is usually a welcome back reception for repeat cruisers.

On some cruise lines there is also a "party" by invite only for cruisers that have cruised that cruise line before which often the captain attends. We have gotten invites but never attended. That may be the party that some people are referring to when they talk about a special invite.

It depends on the ship/cruise line too. We had the opportunity to dine with the Captain at his table on a cruise to Bermuda on NCL years back. We had one of the largest suites so that was a "perk" that came with the high price tag. We then got a private tour of the command center afterward, and I even pretended to operate the ship (it was on cruise control). Nevertheless it was memorable and fun. Cunard has Captain (or Commodore) parties for everyone on different nights depending in which dining room you are in. You go thru a receiving line, meet the Captain, shake his hand (photo opps) and then proceed to enjoy some free champagne and hors d'oeuvres.

Archived