Cruising Mexico (Pacific) NCL vs RC

Sydney_Cruiser

Hello gurus

Just trying to get more educated opinions. We are set to book Norwegian cruise 8 days on 15th of April 2007 sailing Norwegian Star. We are also aware that there is a Royal Carribbean Vision of the Seas cruise departing on the same day. We liked the Norwegian one because it looks like a more comprehensive cruise as far as a land content concerned. After doing some searches here it appears that they are both quite good.

We have a few kids with us so we would prefer a "kids freindly" ship.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

I sailed the Star's Mexican Riviera itinerary two years ago and had a very nice time. I'm a huge fan of NCL's Freestyle cruising, so I thoroughly enjoyed the Star's wide selection of restaurants and cuisines (Tex-Mex, French, steakhouse, sushi, Japanese, Benihana-type, Italian, all in addition to the main dining rooms). I also enjoy the resort casual dress code and not having to dress up if I don't feel like it.

I can't give you any firsthand knowledge of the Kids Club but I've read positive comments about it in other threads. You might want to check out the NCL board for more specifics.

Hello gurus

Just trying to get more educated opinions. We are set to book Norwegian cruise 8 days on 15th of April 2007 sailing Norwegian Star. We are also aware that there is a Royal Carribbean Vision of the Seas cruise departing on the same day. We liked the Norwegian one because it looks like a more comprehensive cruise as far as a land content concerned. After doing some searches here it appears that they are both quite good.

Many thanks in advance

We have actually done both. First we did Vision and enjoyed the ports (Cabo, PV, Mazatlan) and the ship (at 70,000 tons it is smaller than our previous ships and since then however it was a comfy size and we got to see alot of the same people and chat more with people as we ran into them on the ship. We did not like the limited dining options. As with all RCCL ships there is a rock wall. There is an solarium/adult only pool area.

6 months later we did NCL Star and loved it (ports were Cabo, PV, Zihu/Ixtapa and Acapulco). We did not care for Acapulco but liked the other port (we actually love Cabo and PV and will prob just do resorts there to spend more time in either area. As for the ship - it is noticably larger and has 13 dining options buffet, 2 main dining room (one more formal, one more contemporary, 4 dining options with a surcharge and another 4-5 that are specialty but do not charge extra) and a 24 hour diner-style. The Star has an incredible indoor spa and adult only area in the spa with an indoor pool and 2 cool hot tubs.

The seas were calm on both of our trips 7-9 ft waves tops (we sailed in May and Oct). The temp was in the 70 when we sailed out of LA but warmed up as we headed south (and obviously cooled off on the way back once we passed Cabo heading north).

We dont have kids so dont know specifics about the children's programs but I know RCCL has a great kids club program and NCL had an area (I think on deck 12) that had a teen club, arcade and other areas for smaller children.

Those are the basics but I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Hello gurus

Many thanks in advance

We have actually done both. First we did Vision and enjoyed the ports (Cabo, PV, Mazatlan) and the ship (at 70,000 tons it is smaller than our previous ships and since then however it was a comfy size and we got to see alot of the same people and chat more with people as we ran into them on the ship. We did not like the limited dining options. As with all RCCL ships there is a rock wall. There is an solarium/adult only pool area.

6 months later we did NCL Star and loved it (ports were Cabo, PV, Zihu/Ixtapa and Acapulco). We did not care for Acapulco but liked the other port (we actually love Cabo and PV and will prob just do resorts there to spend more time in either area. As for the ship - it is noticably larger and has 13 dining options buffet, 2 main dining room (one more formal, one more contemporary, 4 dining options with a surcharge and another 4-5 that are specialty but do not charge extra) and a 24 hour diner-style. The Star has an incredible indoor spa and adult only area in the spa with an indoor pool and 2 cool hot tubs.

The seas were calm on both of our trips 7-9 ft waves tops (we sailed in May and Oct). The temp was in the 70 when we sailed out of LA but warmed up as we headed south (and obviously cooled off on the way back once we passed Cabo heading north).

We dont have kids so dont know specifics about the children's programs but I know RCCL has a great kids club program and NCL had an area (I think on deck 12) that had a teen club, arcade and other areas for smaller children.

Those are the basics but I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Archived