Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Good Morning Everyone!

Lixer... Are you drinking enough water too?... When it's cold like this...I know I have to really remind myself that I need more water then what I've been working on.

..and your right....a good high cardio work out would probably break that stall that your having.

Hang in there... I bet you look terrific...but being down a few lbs for your Cruise is so very nice to have!

Thanks for the reminder! I just went to fill my mug. :) I certainly could do better with water. I'll have maybe 2 mug fulls at work (plus an occasional hot tea or diet soda) then probably two glasses at home in the evening. I picked up some lightly flavored soda water last night which has no sweeteners, so that should help too!

Well, I upped my fat and water intake and seem to actually be moving in the right direction!

I have a few questions for anyone who has done LC on a cruise. How is the dining handled with the preplated entrees and sides? I've seen a few posts mention that for special diets the waiters will take your order the night before so it can be ready when you come in. Does it come out as fresh as everyone elses? Can I really order 2 meats and a green veggie?!

I'd rather just order with the table each day, but I don't want to waste possibly two platefuls of any preplated carby sides.

Also, the "Fun Ship Special" drink is reasonably low carb minus the fruit punch. Would it be possible to order it with water instead of the punch then add in some sugar free punch mix from a single serve thingie?

I know these are odd questions but I'm getting more excited, and nervous, by the day!

Rocknsoul- How's your 30 day challenge going? Once I figured out the quirks of EASports with the controlers I really found it to be a good workout!

There's no need to do anything special at all. Just tell the waiter when you give him your order : I'll have the steak/chicken/fish/whatever, but please leave off the potatoes/other carby stuff. If you want, you can ask for a green veggie on the side, and they will bring it to you. You can order as many main dishes, salads or whatever you want, but you will usually not get the second one until you have finished the first one (depending on the ship and waiter).

If for some reason the waiter forgets and leaves the bread or potato on your plate, just don't eat it.

That's the wonderful thing about LC - it's so easy to do!

BTW, I don't know anything about drinking, so maybe someone else will answer that one.

Edited by GHarkness

Well, I upped my fat and water intake and seem to actually be moving in the right direction!

I have a few questions for anyone who has done LC on a cruise. How is the dining handled with the preplated entrees and sides? I've seen a few posts mention that for special diets the waiters will take your order the night before so it can be ready when you come in. Does it come out as fresh as everyone elses? Can I really order 2 meats and a green veggie?!

I'd rather just order with the table each day, but I don't want to waste possibly two platefuls of any preplated carby sides.

Also, the "Fun Ship Special" drink is reasonably low carb minus the fruit punch. Would it be possible to order it with water instead of the punch then add in some sugar free punch mix from a single serve thingie?

I know these are odd questions but I'm getting more excited, and nervous, by the day!

Rocknsoul- How's your 30 day challenge going? Once I figured out the quirks of EASports with the controlers I really found it to be a good workout!

Thanks for asking! I missed two days due to wacky schedules Sun & Mon, so I'm off schedule, and it doesn't let me get back on. But I worked out Tuesday & today I should be on the regular schedule again.

I'm glad your fat & water uptake got you going again! I'm moving slooowwly right now. This always happens with me. It takes a bit to get into the groove.

Regarding carbs in the dining room, the food is plated more like a banquet style, in that the kitchen makes many of each menu. GHarkness is right, you would just ask the waiter to leave it off. This usually means he takes a full plate & scrapes it off, so it's wasted anyway:(. They will bring you extra veggies or as many salads as you like. :)

I'm assuming you're cruising Carnival (the "Fun Ship Special" gave me a clue:p); you can ask for the drink the way you want it, but they might charge you differently than the Fun Ship Special. I can't say for sure. :)

you would just ask the waiter to leave it off. This usually means he takes a full plate & scrapes it off, so it's wasted anyway:(.

I agree that they likely throw it away, but in my experience, at least your plate doesn't LOOK like they scraped anything off it. Your plate will look every bit as nice as everyone's else; it just won't have crap on it :)

In addition, let me comment that, on Carnival, you will have a very nice food experience. They really do a great job in the preparation and serving of food. Please try the cheese plate (if you do cheese)! They have a lovely one. It also has a couple of the tiniest slices you will ever see of candied pear, and I just go right ahead and eat them. You have to hunt for them, they're so small, but they MAKE the cheese. Couldn't possibly have more than a third of a gram of carb in them anyway.

Another item to look for on the Lido is a salmon dish that is out of this world (usually served at lunch, and only once on the cruise, darn them....) Sorry I don't know the actual name of it, but look for salmon on the Lido at lunch, if you like salmon.

And in the dining room, if you have an assigned table instead of My Time Dining or whatever they call it, just tell your waiter - "thanks, I don't eat bread," and they will probably remember and not try to serve it to you again. (Can you tell: I LOVE to cruise!) :D

Edited by GHarkness

I agree that they likely throw it away, but in my experience, at least your plate doesn't LOOK like they scraped anything off it. Your plate will look every bit as nice as everyone's else; it just won't have crap on it :)

In addition, let me comment that, on Carnival, you will have a very nice food experience. They really do a great job in the preparation and serving of food. And in the dining room, if you have an assigned table instead of My Time Dining or whatever they call it, just tell your waiter - "thanks, I don't eat bread," and they will probably remember and not try to serve it to you again. (Can you tell: I LOVE to cruise!) :D

Carnival does a great job in the DR. We had Your Time Dining, & you can request the same waiter. We tried a few, and definitely found our favorite for that cruise. :)

Carnival does a great job in the DR. We had Your Time Dining, & you can request the same waiter. We tried a few, and definitely found our favorite for that cruise. :)

Quick story: on my last Carnival cruise (Ecstasy in September), we did the MTD thing and found a waiter we liked. He was young and cute, and personable. I really just "had" to have a few bites of the Chocolate Melting Cake, but to keep from getting completely derailed, I waited until the last night of the cruise to order a serving. To that, to minimize the damage, I requested "Sugar Free Ice Cream, please". The waiter laughed out loud at me! The nerve! :D:D

BTW, the cake was really delicious, but it made me sick. I don't think I'll have any problems avoiding it on my next Carnival Cruise.

Hey Everyone!! A new work week for most of us...how are ya doing!?

I had a pretty good weekend...but a few slips.....so tonight...Chicken Breast on the Grill...and some veggies.

I'm having a hard time remembering my water!:(

I was walking really good last week...and I did something to my lower back. I 'm better today...so it won't be a hard push walk..but I'll still go out! It's almost 60 degress out!!...Is spring that close? :p

Welcome NY!!

GHarkness: -- The CMC is rich!!!...I'm glad it comes in a little cup!

How is everyone these days...on track, off track, looking at the track...have no idea where that track is, or went, or is going too???:p:D

Just found this thread (yes, I know; where have I been? There are only a million pages). Anyway, I'm cruising in April and so I've started Atkins again. I have hypothyroidism, so I have difficulty losing weight. Atkins seems to be the only thing that is effective for me. Although I'm seeming to stagnate before I even get started. I blame my lack of exercise and forgetting my water. I'm trying to balance taking care of myself and my two girls (ages 4 and 3). Hope the week goes well for all.

:)

i seriously just ate a whole small rotisserie chicken from stop n shop for dinner tonight. i am so addicted to their chicken they do it right there, so i start picking and picking and picking and before i know it, its gone! :eek: i hope i am not alone in doing this. :rolleyes:

HI Andrea....Welcome!! I know I am having a hard time remembering to keep with my water too! Find an exercise you like and keep at it...it does help a LOT!!!

Hey NY!!... I know that my hubby and I use rotisserie chicken a lot!...Just remember that some of them have a lot of salt in the seasoning...so you might hold onto some water for a day or so!

I grabbed a few extra celery sticks today...I'm needing to crunch right now!!

Have a good day!

Here is my problem with exercise....I don't like it. So, to motivate myself last year, I signed up for a half marathon and trained for it (I'm goal oriented). I decided that at some point in the training running would become habit and I'd grow to love it. I ran and finished the race (13.1 miles) in December, and I've not run since. You're right though, if I can find something I love I'd be better off (even if it is just for health).

I've got my water with me today. Maybe I can convince myself to hop on my treadmill later. :)

My body really likes the Adkins diet. I know that I could gain weight while being in ketosis, but to be successful, I will have to refrain from eating too much fat. ( I really like fat.) We sailed in November and I only put on 2 pounds. ( I had the melting cake every night. Now, I didn't eat all of it.. but I did have it delivered to the table every night.) My goal is to lose 10 pounds before the end of April. I cruise in April. With you all's help, I bet I can do it.

Nancy

Hi Nancy!! Welcome! Sailing in April!! woo Hoo!! What are you doing for exercise?

Andrea...my son ran a 1/2 marathon in December too....did you run yours in Las Vegas? That is where he ran... I got to be Gramma for the whole weekend with their 20 month old! :p

Got to get more water....going to the gym in 40 min!

Andrea...my son ran a 1/2 marathon in December too....did you run yours in Las Vegas? That is where he ran... I got to be Gramma for the whole weekend with their 20 month old! :p

Yes, I ran in Vegas. My mom watched my 2 for me that weekend. I did ride the bicycle today for 30 minutes. Day 1 of exercise accomplished. Now on to more water. Hope you have a good workout.

My body really likes the Adkins diet. I know that I could gain weight while being in ketosis, but to be successful, I will have to refrain from eating too much fat. ( I really like fat.) We sailed in November and I only put on 2 pounds. ( I had the melting cake every night. Now, I didn't eat all of it.. but I did have it delivered to the table every night.) My goal is to lose 10 pounds before the end of April. I cruise in April. With you all's help, I bet I can do it.

Nancy

Hi Nancy!

Here's a great resource for checking your fat:

http://www.atkins.com/Science/ScienceArticlesLibrary/Category19/Fats.aspx

Enjoy! :)

Great Articles, Lisa!! I took notes...and I needed to stop at the store for some fresh veggies anyway...so now I'll know what to pick up to help stay on track!:D

I rode the gym bike 1.5 miles, then 1.25 miles on the tredmil! It felt good and then I had dinner with my DH and a soak in the tub! My back is just starting to feel better so I didn't want to push it!

Water...I need to go fill up my big glass with water!!:o

Woo hoo! Lost a pound today. It is the first in a while. Just goes to show the water and the exercise do make a difference (as if I needed more convincing). Now, I just have to keep on keeping on.

Lisa: Thanks for the articles. It is helping me make my grocery list.

Jean: Congratulations on the great work out.

Lisa - Thanks for the reading material. I haven't read it all yet, but I have it marked to come back to. It looked very good and I always enjoy refreshing my information.

My body really likes the weight that I am at right now. I lose 1/2 pound, I gain back 1/2 pound, etc. I'm sure that you all know the cycle.

Nancy

I’m back on dry land again after a BTB cruise; think I returned with the ship’s anchor around my butt, or would that be 6 pounds of butter?

The mind wanted me to stay on the diet but the body was so weak. I lost it right at the beginning when flying to the port. Was not smart enough to pack a lunch for the foodless flight, nothing but crackers, cookies, cashews, from 5AM until 5 PM. Then it was downhill from there.

Home now and back on track, thanks to this wonderful site.