Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Is everyone Frozen?:p :D

We were yesterday, but we are starting to thaw out today (if you consider 23 degrees thawing out). Tomorrow is supposed to be better though.

Are you keeping warm :) Remember exercise will help warm you up (I'm really saying this to myself more than you. You are better at committing to exercise than I am).

Hey There!!

Well...we were warm enough yesterday to take the dog out on a long afternoon walk...and it felt good!!...but I stepped in some squishy mud..now I have to get my shoes cleaned off...and ready for the a good walk tonight!

Ok......so where are you all at???

Are you eating wise? I'm finding that I can be very consistant 2 out of 3 meals...but that third meal whether it's lunch or dinner....eeek... I'm letting carbs sneak in.

Glad that it's warming up and we can get out more!!

Happy Hearts day!!

Hello! Just went on Atkins last week. (left Weight Watchers to come back to Atkins) Atkins usually works for me, but I could use some support.

We cruise in 37 days and I would love to be 10 pounds thinner. Much more to lose than 10 pounds but I would be happy with 10.

Anyone have any motivational stories to tell? How much have you lost?

-Kim

Hello Kim:

I am back on atkins for two weeks and I have already lost about 9 lbs.

10 lbs on Atkins in 37 days should be no problem. Just make sure you are really doing Atkins. I am always horrified when someone tells me they went on Atkins and all they ate was bacon and cheese or something like that. Or I am doing atkins but I still eat cookies.

Read the book if you have not already. The real Atkins book

written in 2002 "the new diet revolution". Check out sugarfreesheila.com

Or at least look at the current atkins website. Just beware the current atkins website looks like it is more about selling Bars, Shakes, cookies than anything else.

Tom in Long Beach

Edited by Sirwinston

Hi,

I am considering Atkins and have a question. My book is on it's way and I find the website a little confusing. I had been on another diet and lost 35 pounds. I would like to lose 15 more pounds over time and not be on such a rigid food protocol. I like the menus Atkins allow and it seems pretty easy to follow. My understanding is that if you have 15 pounds or less to lose, that you should do (OWL) ongoing weight loss. Do you count calories as well as grams of carbs?

On the web site, the BMI I took said that I should do the induction, but realistically, I cannot see taking off another 30 pounds to fit into their ideal weight.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Hello! Just went on Atkins last week. (left Weight Watchers to come back to Atkins) Atkins usually works for me, but I could use some support.

We cruise in 37 days and I would love to be 10 pounds thinner. Much more to lose than 10 pounds but I would be happy with 10.

Anyone have any motivational stories to tell? How much have you lost?

-Kim

Hi Kim! Welcome! Some of us have told our stories earlier in the thread...there are lots of motivation, recipes & results in previous posts. Have fun!

Hello Kim:

Tom in Long Beach

Hi Tom! Great to "see" you!

Hi,

I am considering Atkins and have a question. My book is on it's way and I find the website a little confusing. I had been on another diet and lost 35 pounds. I would like to lose 15 more pounds over time and not be on such a rigid food protocol. I like the menus Atkins allow and it seems pretty easy to follow. My understanding is that if you have 15 pounds or less to lose, that you should do (OWL) ongoing weight loss. Do you count calories as well as grams of carbs?

On the web site, the BMI I took said that I should do the induction, but realistically, I cannot see taking off another 30 pounds to fit into their ideal weight.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Hi Nut! :D Welcome to the thread. You are right that OWL would be great, but Dr. Atkins always recommended beginning with Induction, so you clear all the sugar & carb cravings, as well as using up your glycogen stores so your body can go straight to burning fat. You do induction for 2 weeks (like Tom said, not just bacon and cheese!), then move on to OWL. :) The book should be to you by then & it gives excellent instruction regarding moving through the phases. Hopefully you will find it very pleasing.

On Atkins, we don't count calories, mostly because fat has more calories than carbs and you may not eat enough fat (which is required for ketosis) if you're trying to keep your calories low. Eat as much as you need to feel satiated. Once ketosis (fat burning) kicks in, your body will regulate the amount of food it needs. It's really pretty amazing.

The BMI is not a good measure when it comes to your weight; if a person is very athletic and has large muscle mass, the BMI will measure them as obese, because it's only a ratio of height to weight and doesn't measure the body's composition. Do you have a weight that you've felt great at in the past? If you feel that that weight is attainable, make that your goal. If not, make a higher goal & then see how you feel when you reach that goal. You may decide to go further.

Good luck!

Hello Kim:

10 lbs on Atkins in 37 days should be no problem. Just make sure you are really doing Atkins. I am always horrified when someone tells me they went on Atkins and all they ate was bacon and cheese or something like that. Or I am doing atkins but I still eat cookies.

Read the book if you have not already. The real Atkins book

written in 2002 "the new diet revolution". Check out sugarfreesheila.com

Or at least look at the current atkins website. Just beware the current atkins website looks like it is more about selling Bars, Shakes, cookies than anything else.

Tom in Long Beach

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info about SugarFreeShelia. Thats new for me.

I have celiac disease; so, Atkins is an easy fit for my gluten free life. I have done Atkins several times before and it really works for me.

Thanks for the tips,

Kim

i exercise regularly every day. Have maybe 10 pounds to lose. Everytime i do atkins i gain it back once hollidays are done. I plan on doing it again as we cruise March 21 of this year. Is it possible for 10 pounds in 1 month.

Thanks Lisa for the info. The diet I am finishing up REALLY restricted the sugar and carbs, basically none for 6 weeks (except minimal natural*fruit* sugars) So that is why I am wondering about the induction phase.

I am looking at Atkins for a maintenance, as well as getting the last 15 pounds off.

Hey! Where'd everyone go?

Hope you are all doing well!! Are you drinking enough water?

We'll be headed to San Diego tomorrow for the weekend....I plan to do a Lot of Walking! I think it's finally warmed back up there now...they had snow last week!! :eek:

I can tell spring is arriving around here and the Juniper is on the rise, so my allergies are starting to kick in!! yuck!

My weight stays pretty much the same...no loss to report...no gain....but I do hope that I will be able to kick up my excersice here soon and maybe the scale will start to drop again!

What's for dinner tonight!!??

SFS gives a recipe for Meatballs. It calls for hamburger meat and "a tube of breakfast sausage". Does she mean like a pount of Owens or Jimmy Dean sausage? Someone said they thought it was like links of sausage. Help?

Just trying for something different.

Thanks,

Nancy

Thanks for the info. I thought that it was like the Jimmie Dean or Owens, but I wanted to do it correctly the first time. I'm happy to change it up later.. but wanted to try it the way it was meant to be.

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.....I hope this thread isn't totally dead.

I have a question. I have been doing 100% very low carb since mid January and have lost 27 pounds.

I am cruising next month and want to cheat a little. BUT I am nervous that I may feel sick, or get really bloated etc.

For those that follow strict low carb, what do you do when you cruise? Thanks

I am cruising next month and want to cheat a little. BUT I am nervous that I may feel sick, or get really bloated etc.

Congrats on your 27 pounds, and yes, you are probably going to get sick if you do much cheating at all.

This is what I do; YMMV. I choose before the cruise, WHAT my indulgence is going to be (e.g. Chocolate Melting Cake on Carnival, or whatever your favorite is.) Chocolate Melting Cake fits very well into this because it is served every evening on Carnival and in the buffet as well.

Then, I have my treat - only once - at the LAST possible time to have it....e.g. the last night for Chocolate Melting Cake, or the last time whatever your favorite treat is served. If you like the Chocolate Buffet, pick and choose what you want, but only have one, and don't have it until either the last night or the chocolate buffet is about to close. That way, you have something to look forward to for a long time, and no opportunity to go back and get more :p

Expect that you are not going to feel your best for awhile. In my case, I get dead-dog sick (stupid, huh?)

Or, you could just not cheat. That's always your best option.

Good luck!

Thanks

I know I shouldn't cheat, but part of me just gets so excited about the food on a cruise....I guess that is how I got so overweight to begin with. :(

What about the sugar free desserts? I know they are not carb free, but maybe they would slow down the insulin response?

I was on Atkins for 3 weeks and cheated for about 36 hours. I expected loud cymbals to clash, loud music, a swelling up and a big explosion. Nothing happened. I went back on Atkins and it took 2.5 days to stop the long and craving for carbs - I thought I had lost a lover. I had a headache and then it went away. My DBF is a diabetic and he watches his sweets - on cruises he orders the sugar free desserts and lets me taste - often times they are better than the regular.

I don't know if you have discovered these two products: Heinz reduced sugar ketsup and Valasic sweet pickles.. no sugar added. Both of these products are good and will help us with our Atkins. I got them at Wal-mart.

I've been just hanging at my currant weight for about 2 weeks and that is just sad. I'm going to hope that I'm losing inches or some such dream.

Nancy

Bailey and Bella,

I cheat on my cruises for several reasons. Number one, I love sampling the food and drink in different countries. So I drink their soda, beer, or special alcohol...and I eat their national dishes even if they have bread, rice, or gasp, sugary decadent fruit or frosting! I usually avoid the bread baskets and desserts onboard because I don't enjoy them. DH understands and doesnt have the waiter place the bread basket. However he always gets a few desserts (I will sometimes order cheese if I am truly still hungry and DH knows that if its absolutely to die for to share a bite with me and there's been 1 time on our many cruises that I've actually agreed that I needed a whole one for myself and had room for a whole one and ordered it. Occasionally I will get ice cream with lunch on a sea day.).

Good luck on your cruise. I always do lots of activity on our cruises and frequently hit the gym in the a.m. so I never come back too much heavier than I left!

PINK

I still would like to lose 5 more pounds before I cruise away in 4 more Sundays. For a couple of weeks, my weight just didn't move, but 2 days ago, it showed a little progress. My body does not like for me to eat strawberries. Seems like when I do, I don't lose weight. I don't gain weight, but I don't lose. Bummer.

Nancy

I find the more restrictive I am (induction levels for instance) the better I lose. Others find that they lose better when they climb the rungs of OWL incorporating small amounts of other fruits/veg etc. However you do run the risk of stalling when you incorporate new stuff which is frustrating. Also the closer you get to either a plateau weight or a low goal weight the harder you fight for every pound you lose.

Frustrating! good luck.