Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Hey Nancy!!

My Med crusie last Sept was on the Magic....and Cerabella did the first sailing out of Galveston on the Magic...She's a Great Ship!!

So.... from a FB link I went to a website for the Peertrainer...

and they support what is called The Fat Smash diet... and here it is. I am posting this for educational reasons. We're still in January... the Diet Frenzy is still among us!

"The formal diet is a 90 day program and it is divided into 4 phases. It is a very common sense approach to eating and dieting, and is very popular among the members of the PEERtrainer community. It really does not matter if you want to follow the diet in a formal manner. Take a look at what Dr. Smith is advocating- there is much to learn. Any diet loosely based on his "Phase One" will be healthy and will likely help you lose weight. Additionally, diets high in fruits, vegetables and greens are shown to dramatically lower the risk of heart disease, cancer and more. Due to heavy marketing we are asked if we "Got Milk" and told that "Beef is What's For Dinner." The reality is that the focus on these two food sources is making us fat and probably killing us. This does not mean eliminate meat and dairy. Just go easy on it. And eat all the fruit and veggies you want.

1. Phase I - Detox - This phase lasts 9 days. In this phase you will eat mostly fruits and vegetables. The idea is to cleanse your body of junk and you eliminate things like alcohol and caffeine. By increasing fruits and vegetables you increase the body's ability to cleanse itself on the cellular level. You can eat all the fruits & veggies you want except white potatoes and avocados. You also can have the following: legumes/beans & tofu, 1 cup of oatmeal, 2 cups of brown rice, 2 cups low fat or 1% milk, 2 6oz yogurts and 4 egg whites (eggbeaters) only water & 2 cups of herbal tea to drink. You also get a very limited amount of olive oil dressing to use. This Phase lasts for 9 days.

How PEERtrainer Helps You Lose Weight with Online Support Groups

2. Phase II - Foundation - This phase lasts 3 weeks. In this phase you eat the same foods as phase I, except you will reintroduce lean meats. Phase 2 is for 3 weeks and you keep everything you are eating in phase I & add in most protein meat chicken turkey fish (except pork), 1 whole egg add unsweetend ceral, 1 oz of cheese, coffee 1 10 oz cup & 2 diet pops a day come back.

3. Phase III - Construction - This phase lasts 4 weeks. In this phase you eat the same foods as phase I & II except you will reintroduce whole wheat pasta and bread. Phase 3 4 weeks: increase the amounts of protein, adds ff mayo & peanut butter, 2 whole eggs, 3 cups of lf milk now & 1.3 oz of lf/ff cheese, 2 cups of freshly squeezed juice & whole grains bread 4 slices a day, 1 cup of pasta and 1 desert serving per day.

4. Phase IV - The Temple - This phase is for life. In this phase you eat the same foods as phase I,II, & III. In addition to those foods, you can eat some white starches (ie. white rice, potatoes) as well as have a couple of glasses of wine or beer each week. Phase 4 for life every food you want come back including alcohol & all sweets/chips everything. the idea is your able to now handle a snack or high fat meal & go back to your regular good habits you have learned to retrain your body with.

See that underlined sentance ... just above??? ..... What's wrong with THAT?

How many of us.... have got back to the phrase... I can handle _______ now?!?!!

And so we see the scales go up, .... and up..... and (ugh) up, were in bigger clothes now....AND WHAT!!!!???? I've GAINED IT ALL BACK!!??:eek:

And I'm talking... Daily!! Not on a Cruise, Holidays, an Anniversary..... but in a blink of an eye - your eating everything that got you to where you were in the first place - daily!! OY.... Is it just me or could they have left Phase 4 off?... Help people to consider a healthy lifestyle way of life, eating - - Get into some kind of Exercise routine and here comes the energy! I just thought that this would generate some good conversation. I also think Phase 3 would throw me into a carb coma with 4 slices of bread a day.....:eek: How about some lettuce wraps!!?? :D

If your new here and haven't been to this website....

Check it out!! http://sugarfreesheila.com/

ok...Cerabella...Lisa...Pink...Harkness.... I think I saw you peeking in here this morning.... HOW ARE YA????

After all these years (since 1999), I've started leaning over to the "dark side," (aka JUDDD). It has enabled me to get things moving again, but I do it on a mostly low-carb basis.

Yes, I understand it sounds very restrictive. You have to get past the "idea" of it before you find out you can actually do it with little or no discomfort. The intermittent fasting activates the SIRT1 gene, which makes it much easier.

If someone told me two months ago I'd be doing 20-hour fasts with zero discomfort (on alternate days), I'd have asked them what planet they just dropped in from :D

Hello everyone! I'm back to low-carb after a couple years of gradual weight gain and sugar addiction. I actually started in November, and I've been losing 3 lbs a week pretty regularly -- down 44 lbs as of today.

I'm happy to find this board -- going to try those chocolate cookies as soon as I get off my sweet-free kick. I hit a plateau and decided to try eliminating sweet-tasting food/drinks on the theory that the sweetness can trigger an insulin release, which slows fat burning. I think it works! I do miss the green tea, the occasional diet coke w/ splenda, and my low-carb cheesecakes. :(

I'm also going to check out JUDDD to see what it's all about. I've heard a lot about intermittent fasting on the Jimmy Moore Livin' La Vida Low Carb show from the Eades (Protein Power) and various other doctors. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to at some point.

So does anyone have advice for minimizing weight gain on a cruise? (Short of eating low-carb the whole time, which I don't want to have to do :eek:) We're going on Mariner in one week (taking our kids for the first time) but I've got to keep losing weight for the MS 150 bike ride from Houston to Austin in April. In the past I've started the cruise with the goals of "no elevators" and "portion control" but failed miserably at the portion control part. It sounds easy when I'm low-carb, but after that first plate of bread and dessert my carb cravings return with a vengeance!

Thanks,

Scott

Happy Friday to Everyone!!

Thanks Harkness for the JUDDD info.... I have read about it...just couldn't connect to what you were doing!! haha!! There are some really busy days for me...that by the time I start ending my day... I realized... I just ate twice today... Get a big drink of water and Go to bed!! ..and ya know what...:eek: I lived!! Really! I did!! haha!

Isn't it terrific that you've found a little 'tweak' that is working for you...and your feeling great!!

Welcome Scott!! Your doing fantastic!! Good For YOU!! :DWhat kind of excercise are you doing? See how smart you are... you already know your trigger points very well.... sweets...breads...etc...!! I think that for as much as we love our Cruising - we wait, plan, pay, schedule - etc... we should enjoy!! I came back from a 9 day Med Cruise in Sept - up 2 lbs, which is very low for me!! It can BE done!! There are many that go...have a wonderful time...and come back very close to their weight range....but will you be Right Back On Track when you get home? I think that is key! If you tell yourself."..wow...I ate fine on the ship...I can do that at home." You'll see many of those 44's come right back at ya! Most of us have been there...and have done that! :( If you have an accountability person - have them be your Coach to stay with it...when you get back!!:D

Yee Haww... We're going to the Rodeo tonight!

Ya' all have a Wonderful Weekend!!

Dear Jean;

I think that we should name you the cheerleader for the group. You always make me feel better and you cheer everyone on. How nice to have you.

I leave tomorrow for the Magic. I am not going to diet, but I'm not going to be out of control either. I'm just going to enjoy.

Nancy

Dear Jean;

I think that we should name you the cheerleader for the group. You always make me feel better and you cheer everyone on. How nice to have you.

I second the nomination. Okay, maybe there isn't really a nomination voting process here. I guess all the primaries and debates are overflowing into other aspects of my life. Still, Jean, you are a very positive energy here, and I certainly appreciate it as well. Well, I'm off to convince myself that running 6 miles will be fun.

OK I got to ask with all the talk here. Are most people here doing Atkins? Sounds like alot are doing something else. :confused: Is there anybody that has made it a long term lifestyle and are things still working out for you?

I have gone back to induction. I went out and got the test strips. I'm not having much luck with the color changing. Could I be drinking TOO much water causing dilution?

Edited by PINEVIEW01

OK I got to ask with all the talk here. Are most people here doing Atkins? Sounds like alot are doing something else. :confused: Is there anybody that has made it a long term lifestyle and are things still working out for you?

I have gone back to induction. I went out and got the test strips. I'm not having much luck with the color changing. Could I be drinking TOO much water causing dilution?

That's a good question, Melody. I think over the years we've had some who do low-carb, not necessarily Atkins itself, even though many call it "Atkins" if they stop eating bread, sugar, etc. :)

I've followed the principles in Dr. Atkins' book for almost 13 years, with the exception of my last pregnancy, which took many years to "recover" from. :) At the moment, my daughter is almost 7. I lost 26 pounds a couple of years ago, and seem to have found my perfect CCLM (Critical Carb Level for Maintenance) over the past 2 years, because I've hovered in that same weight range, even though I have about 20 more pounds to go. I'm at a good size & can fit into most of my clothes (I'm tall), so it's been tough to get motivated to get that rock-hard bod.:p

For a while, we were pretty adamant about it being an ATKINS board, because a lot of people would come here and talk about how Atkins was bad without having read the book. But I think it's been good to see how different things work for different people. I still think it's important that we differentiate between true Atkins and other low-carb variations; for example, the nonfat twist that was recently mentioned would completely throw my insulin response out of whack...for those new to Atkins, it's important for them to know how crucial getting enough fat is on the Atkins plan. A nonfat low-carb plan may work for someone, and that's great, and can be celebrated, but it's not Atkins. That was probably much longer of an answer than you wanted. :)

As for the strips, yes, too much water can dilute ketones, and they can be there without showing up on the strip. I only use them first thing in the morning, and I have never in my life gotten them darker than the lightest shade of pink. I do love to see that color change. :) As long as the weight is coming off, it's okay not to see the color change. If there's no color change and no loss, I would check to be sure your eating few enough carbs. Keep us posted!

Dear Jean;

I leave tomorrow for the Magic. I am not going to diet, but I'm not going to be out of control either. I'm just going to enjoy.

Nancy

For years, Jean has been the anchor for this thread. She's awesome, isn't she??

Have a fantastic cruise! Enjoy every minute!

Hello everyone! I'm back to low-carb after a couple years of gradual weight gain and sugar addiction. I actually started in November, and I've been losing 3 lbs a week pretty regularly -- down 44 lbs as of today.

I'm happy to find this board -- going to try those chocolate cookies as soon as I get off my sweet-free kick. I hit a plateau and decided to try eliminating sweet-tasting food/drinks on the theory that the sweetness can trigger an insulin release, which slows fat burning. I think it works! I do miss the green tea, the occasional diet coke w/ splenda, and my low-carb cheesecakes. :(

I'm also going to check out JUDDD to see what it's all about. I've heard a lot about intermittent fasting on the Jimmy Moore Livin' La Vida Low Carb show from the Eades (Protein Power) and various other doctors. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to at some point.

So does anyone have advice for minimizing weight gain on a cruise? (Short of eating low-carb the whole time, which I don't want to have to do :eek:) We're going on Mariner in one week (taking our kids for the first time) but I've got to keep losing weight for the MS 150 bike ride from Houston to Austin in April. In the past I've started the cruise with the goals of "no elevators" and "portion control" but failed miserably at the portion control part. It sounds easy when I'm low-carb, but after that first plate of bread and dessert my carb cravings return with a vengeance!

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott! WOW!! I'm so impressed with your success. The only time I've not gained on a cruise (I always indulge when I go, but try to keep most meals sane) was when I exercised like a fiend during the cruise. Every sea day I went to the gym, every port day made sure to do something active--and no elevators.:p Like Jean said, the worst for me is when I come home. I want to keep that cruise feeling going, and I end up eating poorly at home. I hate that.

How wonderful for you to do the MS ride. I have 4 very close friends with MS: 2 are men in their 60's, 2 are women in their early 30's. I'm astounded by the MS Foundation and the way they've enabled my friends to get access to the very best pharmaceuticals this country has to offer. Best wishes for your ride!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Yes, I understand it sounds very restrictive. You have to get past the "idea" of it before you find out you can actually do it with little or no discomfort. The intermittent fasting activates the SIRT1 gene, which makes it much easier.

If someone told me two months ago I'd be doing 20-hour fasts with zero discomfort (on alternate days), I'd have asked them what planet they just dropped in from :D

All this time I wondered what the "G" stood for. Georgene! What a beautiful name!

I read the website. It sounds interesting, and fasting is pretty easy for me, but I don't think I could make it through the first 2 weeks. When I don't eat, my blood sugar drops & I get mean.:p This happens more often than I'd like it to, because I can get very busy & don't want to just grab whatever. How did you & other low-carbers deal with that?

I'm doing Atkins. It is truly the only thing that works for me. I have hypothyroidism and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my first child. My doctor told me because of that (the gestational not hypo) I was at risk for Type II diabetes within the next 10 years. So, it was important for me to lose weight, but the hypothyroidism makes it difficult even when my medications say my thyroid is performing well enough. Atkins makes it possible to lose weight. My problems occur when I get off of Atkins because I give myself permission to go crazy with food (which would be unsuccessful in any diet/lifestyle). Atkins would probably call me a carbohydrate addict, and I wouldn't be able to dispute it.

Like Lisa said you can still be losing weight and keytones can be present whether the strips change. You can also never go actually into ketosis (just be borderline) and still lose weight. Her advice of checking carbs is good as well as making sure you are strictly following Atkins advice on allowed items. I've been out of induction for awhile, so when I go back in I have to look at the list again to make sure I'm not including something like peanut butter that is not allowed those first two weeks (some people can get away with it during induction, others can't). Wishing you much luck!!

All this time I wondered what the "G" stood for. Georgene! What a beautiful name!

I read the website. It sounds interesting, and fasting is pretty easy for me, but I don't think I could make it through the first 2 weeks. When I don't eat, my blood sugar drops & I get mean.:p This happens more often than I'd like it to, because I can get very busy & don't want to just grab whatever. How did you & other low-carbers deal with that?

Surprisingly, it didn't happen for me, and I have a history of getting "mean" when I get hungry :D The first Down Day was a bit challenging; the second was very much less so, and from then on, it's easy not to eat until 4:00 pm. And remember, you only have to do it every other day. And you don't have to wait until 4:00; I just find it easier that way, as do many who participate.

The big thing I noticed when I joined the JUDDD forum was that most of the participants (and all of them who had been there for very long ) were below goal. How often do you see that?

I am not trying to get **any** one to try a different WOE; I just only want to mention that the calorie cycling can be done within the context of low carb. It's just that not everyone chooses to do that.

To answer another poster's question, I have been low carb since 1999, and I'm pretty firmly committed to it. Even though I have given myself permission to eat some higher-carb items on my up days, I find myself returning again and again to my low carb staples. And I'm a big proponent of the Low Carb Cruise (which I will be going on again this year), which will have, as a featured speaker, Veronika Atkins, as well as Jackie Eberstein, who was Dr. Atkin's nurse for some 30+ years.

But I needed to do something to get things moving, because after a while, people on LC can easily get stalled.

Hope that answers the questions, and again, I am not trying to recruit anyone :)

Surprisingly, it didn't happen for me, and I have a history of getting "mean" when I get hungry :D The first Down Day was a bit challenging; the second was very much less so, and from then on, it's easy not to eat until 4:00 pm. And remember, you only have to do it every other day. And you don't have to wait until 4:00; I just find it easier that way, as do many who participate.

The big thing I noticed when I joined the JUDDD forum was that most of the participants (and all of them who had been there for very long ) were below goal. How often do you see that?

I am not trying to get **any** one to try a different WOE; I just only want to mention that the calorie cycling can be done within the context of low carb. It's just that not everyone chooses to do that.

To answer another poster's question, I have been low carb since 1999, and I'm pretty firmly committed to it. Even though I have given myself permission to eat some higher-carb items on my up days, I find myself returning again and again to my low carb staples. And I'm a big proponent of the Low Carb Cruise (which I will be going on again this year), which will have, as a featured speaker, Veronika Atkins, as well as Jackie Eberstein, who was Dr. Atkin's nurse for some 30+ years.

But I needed to do something to get things moving, because after a while, people on LC can easily get stalled.

Hope that answers the questions, and again, I am not trying to recruit anyone :)

Don't worry about the recruiting part. :) We all get stalled, and we're the ones asking you the questions! Since I've been at the same weight for two years, I'm open to suggestions, as long as they won't slow my metabolism in the long run, or make me frustrated enough to eat like a "normal" person, which will cause me to be overweight. :)

I'm confused about something, though...on the website he says to go for 2 weeks of down days before alternating. That's the part that I think would take me out. So did you just go straight into the alternating, and that worked for you?

Something just occurred to me: in the book, Dr. Atkins talks about a fat fast for those who are really stuck. I suppose that would be a good way to start, and to alternate...just making the low-calorie days made up of high-fat food. It would mean less food, but the way my body works, it might keep my blood sugar from crashing.

Edited by Rocknsoul

Georgene - that's exciting that you're going on the low carb cruise! I've been listening to Jimmy Moore since he started his podcast and have always wanted to go! I was close on the first one they did from Galveston, but couldn't talk my wife into it. It would be fun to see the Eades, Gary Taubes, Eric Westman, Mary Vernon, and the other famous low carbers in person!

I recently read Tim Ferris' 4-hour Body after listening to him on the podcast, and decided to try the weekly free day. His diet has more carbs than would work for me in this phase (mostly beans) - he calls it the "slow-carb" diet - but I liked his theory that a once weekly free day would rev up the metabolism and avoid "starvation mode" and plateaus. I've been successful with my 3 lbs. a week loss doing a free day every one or two weeks, but of course I have no idea where I'd be if I wasn't doing the free day.

I haven't read the Alternate Day Diet yet, but from the website I took that the first two weeks were still up day down day alternating, just that on the down days you should restrict calories to 500...

One week from today I'll be boarding the Mariner!!!

Regards,

Scott

That's a good question, Melody. I think over the years we've had some who do low-carb, not necessarily Atkins itself, even though many call it "Atkins" if they stop eating bread, sugar, etc. :)

I've followed the principles in Dr. Atkins' book for almost 13 years, with the exception of my last pregnancy, which took many years to "recover" from. :) At the moment, my daughter is almost 7. I lost 26 pounds a couple of years ago, and seem to have found my perfect CCLM (Critical Carb Level for Maintenance) over the past 2 years, because I've hovered in that same weight range, even though I have about 20 more pounds to go. I'm at a good size & can fit into most of my clothes (I'm tall), so it's been tough to get motivated to get that rock-hard bod.

For a while, we were pretty adamant about it being an ATKINS board, because a lot of people would come here and talk about how Atkins was bad without having read the book. But I think it's been good to see how different things work for different people. I still think it's important that we differentiate between true Atkins and other low-carb variations; for example, the nonfat twist that was recently mentioned would completely throw my insulin response out of whack...for those new to Atkins, it's important for them to know how crucial getting enough fat is on the Atkins plan. A nonfat low-carb plan may work for someone, and that's great, and can be celebrated, but it's not Atkins. That was probably much longer of an answer than you wanted. :)

As for the strips, yes, too much water can dilute ketones, and they can be there without showing up on the strip. I only use them first thing in the morning, and I have never in my life gotten them darker than the lightest shade of pink. I do love to see that color change. :) As long as the weight is coming off, it's okay not to see the color change. If there's no color change and no loss, I would check to be sure your eating few enough carbs. Keep us posted!

That is just the answer I was looking for. Thank You so much. I only get the lightest shade of pink in the am. You would think it would be later in the day when you have been acitve all day but not so. I think it is better to drink the water than see purple:D

I've lost a pound a day since doing true induction so will stay the course.

Again Thank You Lisa for taking the time to help.

Also thank you Jean for keeping this going for all of us sliders.;)

Edited by PINEVIEW01

Good Morning Low Carbers!!....and other helps as needed!! LOL! :p

Aww! Thanks for the Sweet Cheering comments!! The way I see it... We are in a Fat Fight all together..;).. and hopefully.... we all become healthier along the way!! I know I get encouragement when I come on here and see you all chattying away...Like Today!..and know that I'm not the only one taking it a day at a time and working towards a healthier life for me - and for my family!! :)Now if I could just ban my hubby from the kitchen - he made brownies this weekend!! Ahhhhhhhh!:( Our kids came over yesterday for lunch and he said we couldn't expect them to help us tear up our old flooring...without dessert too!!... :rolleyes:

So Today is a new day! I did get a good workout in on Saturday morning...and my arms are a little sore from moving furniture over the weekend too!

So... Let me ask you...............If you had to ..... could you go right to...and put your hands on your copy of the Atkins Book?? You know....to refer too....:)

So... Let me ask you...............If you had to ..... could you go right to...and put your hands on

your copy of the Atkins Book?? You know....to refer too....:)

Yep, I know exactly where both copies are, and they are sitting in my home office. just to the left of my TV..can see them in my mind right now (why I have two is anybody's guess, but I do have them!)

Jean - thanks for the encouragement! I definitely have an accountability person, and she's fierce! It's my 12-yr-old daughter. She's riding the 185-mile MS150 in April with me for the first time, and we just started training on a tandem bike. I told her I'd never make it all the way if I didn't lose at least 2 lbs every week, so she watches me like a hawk to make sure I don't eat any carbs. :) I lent my New Diet Revolution out and never got it back, but I do have Atkins for Life handy. It's right next to Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It. Good stuff!

Lisa - It's great to hear about people who benefit from the MS Society! This will be my tenth ride and my daughter's first, and it's great to be able to do something to help others while being motivated to get in shape every year. I just have to figure out how to keep the weight off all year. I'm good at losing and gaining - just haven't figured out the maintenance. :confused:

Melody - I've had the same experience with the test strips. They can be frustrating! My highest ketone levels were when I was doing the fat fast. I understand some people can actually burn off all their ketones so there aren't any left for the kidneys to filter, and hence nothing on the test strips even though you're definitely in ketosis. Much better to focus on inches and, to a lesser extent, weight. Good luck!

Have a great week!

Scott

I'm doing Atkins. It is truly the only thing that works for me. I have hypothyroidism and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my first child. My doctor told me because of that (the gestational not hypo) I was at risk for Type II diabetes within the next 10 years. So, it was important for me to lose weight, but the hypothyroidism makes it difficult even when my medications say my thyroid is performing well enough. Atkins makes it possible to lose weight. My problems occur when I get off of Atkins because I give myself permission to go crazy with food (which would be unsuccessful in any diet/lifestyle). Atkins would probably call me a carbohydrate addict, and I wouldn't be able to dispute it.

Like Lisa said you can still be losing weight and keytones can be present whether the strips change. You can also never go actually into ketosis (just be borderline) and still lose weight. Her advice of checking carbs is good as well as making sure you are strictly following Atkins advice on allowed items. I've been out of induction for awhile, so when I go back in I have to look at the list again to make sure I'm not including something like peanut butter that is not allowed those first two weeks (some people can get away with it during induction, others can't). Wishing you much luck!!

Thank You so much for sharing with me. Where do you find the list. I have been trying to

navigate the Atkins site and it sure isn't like when I used to visit it.

Thanks for the input Scott about the strips. I am also right ther with you, "I just have to figure out how to keep the weight off all year. I'm good at losing and gaining - just haven't figured out the maintenance." I may have lost 1000 pounds in my life. For sure over 500, 50-80 at a time not to mention the 10-20.

Edited by PINEVIEW01