Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Well, congrats!! Isn't it rewarding...ooops...I am assuming it is a good number...;):p

I have been doing much better WOE-wise...I feel so much better, the scales are being user-friendly again!

Today I feel like I made good food choices!

B ~ one egg over easy, one 'natural' sausage patty

L ~ one large mixed green salad

S ~ crock pot chicken, roasted mixed veggies ( butternut squash, sweet potato, broccoli)

Hope everyone else is making great choices - 'let food be your medicine-medicine be your food'!!

Ok...being in the Christmas mood of giving....I'm going to give you this cookie recipe that I came across and am going to use tonight or tomorrow...

Chocolate Meringue Cookies

Ingredients

• 3 egg whites
  • 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup of Splenda
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (You can leave these off!!)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
  2. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Beat until the whites form soft peaks.(Beating egg whites at room temp is better then cold) Slowly add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, and mixture becomes glossy. Fold in cocoa and chocolate chips.
  3. Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls on to a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Give them a try!!...then come back and let us know what you think!

I make a version of these. I put unsweetened toasted coconut in them, but I don't add the cocoa or the chips as I don't care that much for chocolate. I also add almond extract sometimes instead of vanilla. Another variation is that I will add chopped pecans and or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. These cookies give me my sweet fix without many calories or carbs.

Nancy

Good Holiday Morning to you!

Nope...I didn't get it off.... Yup... happy for those of you that are!

It was a up and down kind of weekend for WOE for me. You know, one meal...great!...oops a snack...next meal is ok....but then real strict on the next one..!! UGH... Weekends are killers for me!

Jeans are snug this morning...but will be better by Thur or Fri...and then here comes the weekend! I'll be glad when it warms up and I can get out and be away from the kitchen on the weekends!!

Hope you all have a great day!

Good tips on the Cookies Nancy! They really are a pretty good cookie!!

Andrea.... YOU GO Girl!! :D My DIL is training for her first marathon, my DD is training for her first 1/2!! So much time, work and commitment!! You can so reach your goal!!!

1) Are you drinking enough water?

2) Things could be building into muscle!!

3) How long have you been training?

Brrrr..... it was freezing last night....as I stood out by our grill for some steak with that smokey flavor! :p Green Beans w/bacon on the stove... green salad on the table....ahhhh... it was so worth it!! YUMMMM :)

Andrea.... YOU GO Girl!! :D My DIL is training for her first marathon, my DD is training for her first 1/2!! So much time, work and commitment!! You can so reach your goal!!!

1) Are you drinking enough water?

2) Things could be building into muscle!!

3) How long have you been training?

Brrrr..... it was freezing last night....as I stood out by our grill for some steak with that smokey flavor! :p Green Beans w/bacon on the stove... green salad on the table....ahhhh... it was so worth it!! YUMMMM :)

1)I'm working on the water thing. If I just have it next to me all the time I do better.

2)We can only hope that this is true. They say muscle burns more calories than fat; so...here's hoping.

3) This is week 3. In fact, after I pull myself off cruisecritic, I've got to go run 3 miles.

Your food sounds yummy; way to brave the cold!

My personal reminder for today: DRINK MORE WATER.......!!!!

I think I might write this with a Sharpie Marker on the back of both of my hands !!.....:p;):)

Oh, Sharpie so it won't come off even when you try :D Thanks for the reminder. I will go drink some more now.

I didn't weigh today. I woke up feeling a little heavy. Go figure although I have been following the diet. I'll weigh tomorrow. I cruise in 9 days. Already my brain is making excuses as to why I should just go ahead and get off the diet.

Nancy

Alright, I've been doing pretty well with my water, but today was a backslide. It is hard to teach and drink lots of water, because you can't leave the kids unattended. I like having someone to blame. Blaming the kids may be cliche, but it still works :)

Good Morning!!

Ok........I've found a new little trick.....when I have a meal that leans a little heavy to the carb side....EAT ONLY 1/2!!! I did this twice this weekend...and I think it actually helped!! :);)

Water and kids, or water and being far from the bathroom at my age..:eek:..hmmm....wow...that's a toss up!! haha!!

Nancy...your Cruise is so close!! Hang in there....no cheating until your on that Ship!!! You'll be glad you did!!

Happy Monday....BE GOOD... we have all week!!

Went to lunch and had a healthy(?) salad. I'm sure that I'm still in ketosis, but I would like to see the scale move just a little before Friday.

Thanks for the encouragement Jean. I just need to walk the straight path.

Nancy

Edited by nlt46

Good Morning!!

Ok........I've found a new little trick.....when I have a meal that leans a little heavy to the carb side....EAT ONLY 1/2!!! I did this twice this weekend...and I think it actually helped!! :);)

Yeah, I need to be more diligent about my carb counting. Your plan sounds good. I'm someone who has no trouble getting/staying in ketosis. However, that does not mean that I will lose any weight.

Andrea - Keep on working out!! ...and water..... Are you doing a program/schedule to have you ready to run your race? I have a schedule that my daughter made for me....to walk a 5 K! I think I can do that. .. now... the 8/10k...that would require training for sure!:)

Nancy.... stay strong...when you put those great Cruise clothes on...you'll feel so happy!!:D

ok...Cerabella...Lisa...Pink...Harkness.... I think I saw you peeking in here this morning.... HOW ARE YA????:p

Andrea - Keep on working out!! ...and water..... Are you doing a program/schedule to have you ready to run your race? I have a schedule that my daughter made for me....to walk a 5 K! I think I can do that. .. now... the 8/10k...that would require training for sure!:)

Yes, I'm on a schedule. Today is a rest day and I love those :) Tomorrow I get to run 4 miles and Saturday I'm up to 6. I do have my cruise the week I'm supposed to run 10 miles. However, I've spoken to two of my friends who run marathons and they've said that even if I do a much shorter run that week it will not impact my readiness (which is good, because I was not going to run 10 miles on the ship. I might be ambitious and run, but it won't be 10 miles).

Is this where all the Adkins diet people are? I am just starting on Adkins again today, 2nd try. I tried it last fall and lost a good deal of weight in a 3 week period but I live with carb monsters and slipped back into my old habits. I am not much of a dieter and have always just eaten at will. Getting older and some of the health issues, I am realizing i need a change and would like to lose weight, lower cholesterol (triglycerides) and BP, and avoid diabetes and heart problems. Look forward to talking with everyone.

Hi all! I used to be on here 100 years ago. I did great first year lost 60lbs, second lost and gained another twenty. After 3 years I was still down 60 and that was the best/longest I have done in 40 years. Then I just had a little bread at my favorite restaurant.

After another 10 years and gaining 100lbs, I went back on Atkins. I lost weight while going thru the process to get a lap band. I was doing slow but steady. They put me on a “high” protein liquid diet prior to surgery and had to stop Atkins. I gained 14 pounds while everyone else lost. The diet was way too high in carbs.

I got the lap band lost 60 pounds the first year and had none stop medical issues for three years now and gained 80 pounds back. The band is still in but, not filled. So, I have put myself back on Atkins.

I had forgotten all about this thread until it popped up in my subscribed threads. So, here I am looking for others going thru the same thing. Hope everybody is have great luck with the lifestyle.

I am leaving on the Liberty for three back to back cruises 2/9.

Hey there all the low carbies! Just know this - we all have certainly had our own up/down stories, but like most of the regulars that post here, there is always another day, another meal, another chance to get it right, or at least, mostly right!:D

I think one of the most difficult things about it is that we HAVE to eat to live!! & therefore several times a day we have to make the decision, what am I going to 'feed' myself...:eek:

However, that being said, there are so many success stories! That is very encouraging to me, because I obviously don't always make the best choices, but when I do, I always feel better & eventually look better too, & I know I'm not alone! Yay!

It is always good to set a goal, either for the day, the week, or month & progress toward that...I find that works best for me...or I easily lose sight of just what it is I'm trying to attain...great incentives when there is a cruise close in the future!! (Kinda jealous...won't have one in the works for a while...probably late Aug or Sept!

Hey low-carbers, as I was updating all my boards, I got to thinking about this one and wanted to share the results of a recent twist I added to my Adkins routine.

I have been doing "atkins" for a number of years, but put on some weight once I got married (result of the social drinking with hubby and not food intake).

So a few weeks ago I decided to add in a "dukan" twist to my akins style and removed as much fat as possible. The cheese was the hardest part. I also added in oat bran cereal in the morning to allow for some fiber intake necessary to remove the fat.

So far, I am doing pretty good and my clothes are fitting better. I am not quite ready to jump back on the scale, but certainly I can tell I have lost a few pounds in just a week and a half.

Good luck to you all!!! I got 4.5 months till my next cruise. PLEASE, oh sweet universe, let me lose at least 20 lbs before I embark!

Angel

Good Morning Low Carbers!! Welcome to Wednesday!

Great Conversations!! I remember when you were here Melody!! I wondered how your journey with the lap band went...I'm so glad you came to share your story with us!...and you just gave me Cruise envy!!

Andrea - I would encourage you to run on your trip.... just to let your body know that your still consistant with your training and help to stay strong!! Then when you get back....it will thank you and continue working with you on meeting your goal!!

Welcome Angel!!!! Isn't it interesting how we all have a few changes on how we incorporate the Atkins Way of Eating.... and it still works for us!

Hi jreichow!! Welcome to you too!... We've been here for ...well.. a long time! Glad you found us! There are many of us that have followed this thread for a long time, and we have some pop in an out and I think we have a few lurkers too!;)

Hey cerabella!! I had the big ol' light bulb click on above the top of my head these last few days when grocery shopping and looking at my basket!!... LOW CARB has become a way of life for me!!!:eek:

I don't even think about it! ... Fresh veggie area...and some of the frozen veggie area.... meats & dairy....!! WOOOWZERS!!:eek: Oh... Not Every Meal is a thumbs up from Dr Atkins.... I get that... but for most of my meals... I can come pretty close with the carb count for each meal!! And then like I said.... a more carb counting meal... eat 1/2!

I saw on Facebook a group of "Caveman" eaters..... LOOOL !! Ok...it just hit me funny... they were all saying "Gosh, fresh veggies, meats... no grains, dairy..etc... I feel fantastic. been doing this for a week/month.....energy is up, weight coming off...yada, yada, yada..... Getting my kids off sugars and flours...they are not strung out and crashing"..... I just wanted to type ... "Yup! It's good for you to get off processed foods!! " :p

And, this morning...my legs are sore!!.... It's a good thing, I worked them a little harder after my treadmil time yesterday!! Ha!!

Have a terrific Day!!:) Andrea... go fill up your water glass! hehe!;)

Edited by NMCruzzin

Hi everyone! It is great to hear from people who are starting or returning to Atkins. It really is the only program that consistently works for me. For those of you who are new, welcome. For those that are returning, welcome back.

So, last night I tried a new recipe for a shake. It tasted really good, but I think it would have been better for a breakfast or lunch instead (I need more at dinner so I don't snack). It would not work for induction, but once you've moved on (and based on your own carb allowance).

3 oz cream cheese softened

1/4 c heavy cream

1/2 c egg beaters (or two raw eggs at your own risk)

1T peanut butter

1 T sugar free instant butterscotch pudding.

blend with some ice.

Oh, and I found a single serve blender at Walmart that I'm in love with. Later I may mix diet hot chocolate mix, 2 oz heavy cream, and 4 oz of coffee (and some ice) in the mixer for a treat. Depends on how good I am with my water. Thanks for the reminder, Jean. I ran 4 miles today :D

You all are doing so well. I cruise on Sunday.. the Magic. Oh I know that I could keep true to Adkins on the cruise, but I don't intend to. Here's hoping that I just don't go CRAZY. Then I come back and have 2 weeks until I take a quickie cruise. I think my dieting is just not going to be perfect for a month or so.

Nancy

I've got two weeks today before I head out. I've lost all I gained from my two weeks cruising in December (only gained 1 pound on the cruise, a record) and the Holidays. I'm down another couple too. I would be very happy with five more. Support from here and accountablility will help keep me on track.

I just got an upgrade on my third of the b2b2b from inside to balcony. I called and was able to get an aft. So, hopefully the walk to any food will help:D