Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Gooselace,

Thank you soooo much for that Pumpkin Pie recipe. It sounds delicious, I love Pumpkin Pie and I was a little sad that I would be missing it this Thanksgiving (I was going to substitute Pumpkin Cheesecake). You just made my holiday, thanks again:D

Sheila ~ What are the odds?!! I'm sorry if I freaked out your husband!!:eek::p I'm in Dallas visiting my friend & we were on our way to the movies when we saw him. It's such a small world.

Jocelyn ~ I'd be happy to post my cheesecake when I get home!

Jean ~ I believe with the fiber involved the carb count is pretty low...but unfortunately I don't know the exact numbers. You could add flaxseed in when you blend it together to add some more substance & oil. Please keep us posted on your surgery!

I'll post to y'all when I get back on Monday.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

It is sooo much colder here now! Never got out of the high 30's today! BBRRR!! Can't wait for my cruise!! 90 days and counting!

Jean - How are you doing??

Jocelyn - OK girl, give it up about your cruise!:) And you make a good example for me to remember when I get back from mine! Right back on the WOE!

Lisa - your butternut squash soup sounds so good. Can't wait to try it!

Dayna - I found the DaVinci syrups at Marshalls.

Kreeb - Hey you, glad to see you back! Thanks for the Thanksgiving website! Great ideas!

PinkB - Have you ever heard Bill Cosby's routine on giving his kids choclate cake for breakfast?:D LOL!!! Milk, flour, eggs...it's healthy!!

And anyone else I've missed I hope you are doing OK! If not we're here to let you cry on our shoulders!

A big loss for me this week! Down 4 lbs, so I've lost a total of 22.8 lbs since starting this WOE on September 3rd. I've hit my first personal mini-goal and now I'm only 5 lbs from my next mini-goal of finally weighing what my driver's license has said for these past 10 years or so!!:D :eek:

Take care everyone, hang in there with me and for me!!

Donna

WOW, donnerpumpkin - that's an amazing loss in 2 1/2 months. You're certainly well on your way to your goal(s). :) And please don't let any naysayers tell you that you can't maintain at near that rate. While there were slow months, my 130 lb loss in 11 months, without surgery or any "aids" proves it's doable.

Of course, you probably don't have nearly that much to lose, but there may be others on this board who do.

jbramback - I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the pumpkin pie recipe, especially if you spice it up (or down) to your personal preference level.

BTW, anyone who is past induction who thinks turkey without dressing (stuffing) is just naked might want to try my non-recipe. It calls for the the same spices, celery, onion, broth, and butter as in the traditional recipe, but uses a couple of slices of low-carb bread lightly toasted and cubed and a big bag of plain pork rinds, partially crushed. You might try this, even if you don't think you like pork rinds. Maybe just increase the seasoning a bit.

Got the idea from a recipe that called for using crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs in meatloaf. My DH actually likes that better than the original recipe. Either plain or spicy pork rinds work well here. We also like a 1/2 tsp. of cajun seasoning added.

Leave on my Caribbean cruise in 3 weeks, so am dropping a few lbs now, because the cruiseline, while it offers some "no sugar added" desserts doesn't provide any carb counts so have to allow for slight gain.;)

Thanks gooselace!! Your loss is really encouraging! I may not have 130 lbs to lose right now, but I can guarantee I've lost and gained that much through my weight loss years!!:eek: Your stuffing recipe sounds good, and I love using pork rinds in my crab cakes. So what cruise line are you sailing?? I'm sailing Celebrity (Constellation) to the Carribean in February.

Donna

donnerpumpkin - Yes, I've used the plain pork rinds in my crab cakes, too. Very good.

Cruising on the HAL Westerdam 12/2 to Grand Turk, St. Maarten, Tortola, and, of course, Half Moon Cay. My cruisin' buddy and I were on the Westerdam's first Caribbean cruise (southern islands) in '04 and really liked the ship. We've been looking at Celebrity for a possible Med. cruise next fall, but right now the airfares for the itinerary we prefer are really high, and will probably only get higher with the fuel surcharges:(

Will look forward to comparing cruises. Does Celebrity offer "no sugar added" desserts, sf ice cream, and "low carb" hamburger buns? I haven't been able to find out from HAL how many carbs are in these, so I skip the buns and go easy on the desserts, although they are always pretty small. ;)

Hi Gang! Happy Monday to all. I weighed in this morning and was happy to see I lost 3 of the 6lbs that I found on the cruise.:) Another 3 and I will be back on track.

Lisa, thanks, I think my DH is finally coming over to the Atkin's side:D So I wil tempt him with the cheesecake:D He doesn't have alot to lose, maybe 5 to 10lbs but his cholesterol is through the roof and he is taking meds for it. I read in the Atkin's book that some people's cholesterol have majorly improved on Atkin's so I am hoping it will do the same for him.

Gooselace, thanks for the idea about the pork rinds, such a great idea to use them in meat loaf, and I am also going to try them in meatballs. Only 3 weeks til your cruise, how exciting...I been thinking about trying HAL but don't know which ship to try, but the fact that they have SF ice cream is def a plus.;)

Donna, WOW GREAT LOSS!!!! 23lbs since Sept.

Jean, How are you doing?

Hi everyone....any new news to report???

Happy Monday Everyone! ( Everyone is such a great word! Now I won't worry about missing someone - even if they are lurking (Tom ;) ) LOL!!

Whew...what a weekend..mine went really fast! Saturday we went for a hike up at a State Park called Tent Rocks (Silverado was filmed around there) and did the Canyon hike - about a 1.5 mile hike up and back - it is really beautiful and fun! Imagine walking on a path about 6 ft wide in some places, with beautiful sandstone walls straight up against a dark blue sky! Then really cool sandstone shapes that look like teepee (sp?) tents. Anyway, it's a climb that takes you about 700 ft up and at the top you can see for miles around you! It was enough to make the backs of my legs just a little sore - the kind that tells me I need to do more hiking! :o

It's been really hard for me to be consistant these days - I have to admit - I do great for about 5 meals then the 'cape' comes off and I end up with a carb whamo meal! ARRRGH! So...it doesn't matter how much I'm exercising - the scales are stuck! But I continue on - because I just feel better with trying to stay low carb as long as I can. Knowing that when I do make goal (what ever year that'll be LOL!!) I will be able to keep it there - because this is has taught me how to not gain more weight, even though I'm not losing either! Wow..You guys just gave me such a good therapy session:eek: - and I'm so thankful for you!! hugs!! :D

Oh..My surgery is on Nov 28 - so I'm not recooperating right now - just on the go!

gooselace - thanks for another recipe - yum! You have a wonderful time on your cruise! Remember to let us know when your back!

Jocelyn- Down 3! YAY!! You keep going with your big loser self! :D

Donna! Your in the RED! You reached your goal!! A BIG Congrats!!

Lisa - Now how did you KNOW it was SFS Hubby??! :confused:

Pink - Hang in there Girl!!

Annie???? Where are you? How are ya doing? When's the next party?

Kreeb - Welcome Back and thanks for the link...good one!!

Oh, yeah, I'm at work...I guess I better do some! LOL!

Catch EVERYONE a little later!

Today was weigh in day after being on induction for a week, and I'm happy to report a 4 lb. loss. The scale is heading in the right direction once again!

Why can't people support us when we are trying to lose weight? I talked to my aunt the other night and told her I was back on my low carb plan, and she replied "Why would you start that again when Thanksgiving is next week? No way would I deprive myself on a holiday." I just told her that I have been off plan since our cruise the last week of September, and it was time for me to get things under control again. There's always some occasion coming up and I couldn't keep putting this off any longer. So there, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it!!!

Way to go Kreeb!!

Thanksgiving is relatively easy for eating low carb - load up on all that turkey. DH always wanted cranberry sauce - now I get the sf Cranberry Jell-o and add ground up (easier if you freeze them first) cranberries. Made in a pretty mold it's a nice lower-carb, alternative.

Hi Guys!!!:) ,

Jean, I was just reading your post imagining the beauty of the canyons and the sky ahhhh, thank you for the mental picture. I also like your way of thinking about losing.:)

Kreeb, GREAT LOSS!!!! It is hard to get people to understand, esp people who have never had an issue with weight. Just keep doing what your doing and know that it is you and your health that matter.

Gooselace, you have so many great recipes, thanks for the jello idea:)

Well, I have been dreaming about a cruise ever since I have come back from my last one:D , but I took a look at our bills today and it doesn't seem like we will be cruisin anytime soon.:( I will have to live vicariously through your cruises so I want to hear all about them when you all get back from the cruises you have planned:)

Jocelyn ~ there are different variations you can use...let me know how you like it!

New York Cheesecake--NOT for induction

Crust:

1 1/2 cups almonds & pecans, roast for 10 min. at 400 degrees

3 packets Splenda

3 Tbsp. butter

Pulse nuts in food processor until very coarsely ground; add butter & Splenda & pulse just a couple of times to mix. Press mixture into bottom & 1/3 up the sides of a large springform pan.

Filling:

40 oz. (5-8 oz. pkgs.) cream cheese, softened

1 cup granulated Splenda

3 Tbsp. flour (just holds it together)

1 Tbsp. sugar-free vanilla extract

1 Tbsp. sugar-free chocolate extract (or you can use 2 Tbsp. vanilla if you prefer)

3 eggs

1 cup sour cream

Beat cream cheese, Splenda, flour, and extracts on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, on low speed until just blended. Blend in sour cream. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour or until center is almost set. Run knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, let cake cool completely & remove rim. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.

Toppings:

You can use none at all, or if you'd like, you can make a glaze using unsweetened cocoa mixed with DaVinci syrup & drizzle it across the completely cooled cheesecake...in later phases, I use a can of sugar-free cherry pie filling.

Enjoy!!

7 lbs from goal...3 lbs from upper limit of goal...would be happy with 3-4 lbs before the cruise sets out on dec 8th... can I do this???? 3 weeks or so???

You can totally do this! Add a little fat...flaxseed, fish oil, eat more salmon, etc. and up your cardio a little. You're doing great! Either way, you will feel great on your cruise. So exciting!:D

Hi all,

I have been reading, but life is a little crazy right now & it's not easy for me to post so much. Hopefully it will calm down a little after the holidays.

Jean ~ Your hike sounds great!! What do you think is the catalyst to that carb wham-o? Is it emotion or temptation or both? You're right, though, I think we all are trying to find ways to keep going for the long haul. I love the way you pick yourself up & keep on going! I can't really tell you the answer to your question:o ...I don't want to overstep privacy boundaries...but it was hilarious (to me and my friends anyway!) the way it came about. You would have thought I was a crazy fan or something!

Sheila ~ I just saw your response as I was writing to Jean. We did go to Tinseltown...we were supposed to see American Gangster, but we got there late & saw Bella instead. It was a good movie, but very intense. I had a blast with my friend, and the hot weather was really wonderful...but my WOE was pretty scary. My friend had almost nothing low-carb in the house. Fortunately, it was only a few days. Please tell your DH that I don't usually do things like that!!:p He was a great sport & seems like a really nice guy.

Gooselace ~ I love your cranberry idea! I will definitely be making it next week! Along with the dressing & pumpkin pie...thank you!

Kreeb ~ weigh to go! I think people don't support us because they want to justify their lack of determination. Things somehow become okay when everyone else is in the same boat. Way to hold to your convictions! That's when Atkins really becomes a way of life & not just a diet...and that's how the weight stays off. You have inspired me to keep going!

Donna ~ fantastic!!! I don't think I could handle weather like yours. I'm a cold-weather wimp. That routine by Bill Cosby ("Himself") is one of my favorite things ever. We show the video to everyone we know...and they all end up crying with laughter...never fails! It does break my heart when he talks about his son, though.

Tom, Annie, and Karen...hope you're doing well! If I missed someone, I'm sorry...brain damage...hope everyone has a great week!

Gooselace-

Were you looking at the celebrity cruise out of Barcelona? There's one for a week for approx $700 that goes all around Italy that we were looking at. We've decided to go to Europe for 10 days next Nov instead and explore on foot/train d/t the high prices of the excursions that we would have to take (Pompeii, Rome, Sicilian vineyard) to get out of the port cities. But it looks like it will be a great cruise and would have only been $500 pp for airfare from NYC... we may consider one for the year after if we travel in the fall again. Just wanted to share because I'd done a lot of research to find that one and thought it was a really good deal!

PinkB... 5 lbs from goal this a.m.

Hi Everyone!

gooselace - Jello makes cranberry sf jello? I didn't know that...I'm going to have to look for it. Do I just freeze fresh cranberries before chopping them up?

pink - Stay focused on your goal and you can make it! Your doing soo great! That cruise sounds great - if we weren't already saving every penny for our land trip next May - I'd have about 3 cruises booked at these prices for 2008! lol!

Lisa - Yum on the cheesecake - sounds great! Been chasing any celebrites in their cars this week? lol ;) You just have the best adventures! Or is it that you turn each situation into an adventure? Either way - what fun you have! You are blessed!

Jocelyn-Hope work went well - did you take a lot of pictures on your cruise? Have you got them back yet?

Ok..gotta get dinner on...

catch ya tomorrow!

Hi Everyone!

gooselace - Jello makes cranberry sf jello? I didn't know that...I'm going to have to look for it. Do I just freeze fresh cranberries before chopping them up?

Some stores only carry sf cranberry Jello around this time of year, so you may not have noticed it before. If not available, sf raspberry works well, too.

Yes, I just freeze fresh cranberries right in the bag. Put them in the food processor still frozen - no juice mess that way. I use a little less cold water than the Jello box calls for - the frozen berries will exude some juice, but also help it set fast.

Hope everyone has a delicious low carb Thanksgiving.:)

DH and I went out to dinner tonight to Ruby Tuesdays. I hope I didn't screw things up to much. I had the salad bar and chicken & broccoli quiche. I just ate the filling out of the quiche, not the puff pastry. It came with a side of sliced strawberries, so I had a few of those too. I guess I'll find out when I weigh in Tuesday morning.

How's everyone else doing this weekend?

Kreeb - sounds like you did great, assuming you skipped the sneaky carbs at the salad bar. Haven't had Ruby Tuesday's quiche, but have been eating the quiche w/o crust at a local restaurant for years with no damage. Our local RT closed, so haven't seen the menu lately. Does it still list the nutritional counts on the menu or label some items as low carb -used to have a delicious LC tilapia/shrimp entree that I've since replicated at home.

gooselace - They have just remodeled Ruby Tuesdays and their menus no longer have nutrional info on them unfortunately. I always pick the right stuff at the salad bar, but you never know what is in their salad dressings. I usually use ranch, blue cheese, or caesar because they normally have the lowest carb/sugar count. The LC tilapia/shrimp sounds wonderful. Do share your recipe, please!!!

Hi Everyone

It's taken me a while to get through this thread! But I'm very excited. It's given me a lot of encouragement - just what I needed. Like others, I've been on Atkins in the past. And after my successful weight loss, I was able to start adding back carbs with no real gains. Until recently. Thyroid was removed, so I'm on thyroid supplements ... have entered the age of menopause and am on Premarin. Recent knee surgery has kept me from doing my normal exercise routines. And the pounds just crept up on me when I wasn't looking!!:rolleyes:

Anyway, we're cruising to Alaska end of May so I'm once again motivated. I have tried other things and have been real careful, but nothing was working.

In preparation for the cruise I stumbled on this web site and luckily on this thread.:o Reading all of your posts and how much encouragement you give to each other was very inspirational for me. I remembered how Atkins was about the only thing that worked for me in the past. So I might as well give it a try again.

I started it (induction) on Monday, 11/12. And as of today, I'm down 5 lbs. :D It's very encouraging for me. I was into ketosis within the first 2 days! It hasn't been hard for me. No cravings. Probably because I was doing a very modified version of Atkins for a while anyway. Just not the induction phase. Anyway, it's working right now and I hope it continues.

Here's my concern. DH and I are going to my sisters for Thanksgiving. She is overweight and has been most of her adult life (and I might add very content with her weight). She's always been jealous of me, so I know I won't get any encouragement from her. That's fine, I don't expect it.

Here is what I know she will be serving, as it's the same every year.

Turkey and/or ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, yam souffle', homemade rolls, waldorf salad, and of course all of the traditional accompaniments. Dessert will be homemade pumpkin and apple pies. As usual, she has assigned me the task of making the green bean casserole, the yam souffle' and the waldorf salad.

I originally thought that I would just go ahead and eat her planned dinner and stay on induction a few days longer. But after reading through the past threads, it looks like if I do that I could really do some damage to my plan and current weight loss. Some have said as much as 5 lbs could be put back on. I don't want that to happen so I REALLY NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS! Pies are easy, I just wont' eat them. Yam souffle' calls for brown sugar (I purchsed Splenda brown sugar), but the yams are no no's. Green bean casserole - mushroom soup and milk are no no's. Apple salad - no no's.

That will leave me with just turkey on my plate. Any thoughts?

(I know, timing is everything - and my timing wasn't the greatest for me to be on induction during Thanksgiving)

Thanks for your help

JC