Taku Glacier Lodge Excursion

jeangeorges

Would someone please help with this excursion... Cruising on Golden May 5th and have choosen the Taku Glacier Lodge FLight & Feast in Juneau booked thru the ship. Has anyone does this? I want to see as much of Juneau ( not just the touristy parts) as possible in the 9 hours we have in port.

Any other "flight" suggestions. I cannot do a lot of hiking especially in snow.

We are also doing the Yukon Ex & White Pass RR (8 hour tour) in Skagway (booked thru the ship). Any suggestion on this?

Thanks for any and all info

Would someone please help with this excursion... Cruising on Golden May 5th and have choosen the Taku Glacier Lodge FLight & Feast in Juneau booked thru the ship. Has anyone does this? I want to see as much of Juneau ( not just the touristy parts) as possible in the 9 hours we have in port.

Any other "flight" suggestions. I cannot do a lot of hiking especially in snow.

We are also doing the Yukon Ex & White Pass RR (8 hour tour) in Skagway (booked thru the ship). Any suggestion on this?

Thanks for any and all info

We did the Taku Lodge Flight & Feast last year and thought it was one of the best excursions we've been on. Beautiful scenery and great food!:D

Take a look at my pictures on the yahoo website and you can see the treat you'll be in for!

Thanks Brunolvr, ... I hate buying something "sight unseen":eek: but after seeing your pictures I'm glad we are going on this excursion!!!:D

I hope your weather is better than ours was. But even though it was cloudy and we had a little rain at the Lodge (it is in a rainforest), everything was very beautiful! You'll have a great time! Will this be your first flight in a float plane? It was mine and I was somewhat apprehensive but it was just fabulous!

This is the first year for the train ride into the Yukon to Carcross. Try to get on the left side of the train if you leave from Skagway and probably the right side of the train if you leave from Carcross. Is this the one where you take the train up and then bus back down? Hopefully they will bus you to see Emerald Lake -- so beautiful it's unbelievable!

IMG_3261.jpg.620fea163a62dec73816867553e9c0e6.jpg

This will be the first float plane expierence for me... I am a bit scared:eek:

We will be taking a bus up to Carcross and then the train back down. My Dh loves trains and flying so while the cruise is for me I tried to find the excursion that best fit his "thrills"

This will be a trip of a lot of first but hopefully not the last

Taku Lodge is very very nice. When I first went, they spent extended time there, I was ready to leave long before we did (to get in some more Juneau touring :) ) Now, I understand they move people along. :)

For your bus/rail tour, be CERTAIN to sit on the right side of the bus and right side of the train- facing the engine- toward Skagway.

I am also going to take this excursion in Juneau too on the float plane to the lodge for lunch etc. Who do you reccomend booking with?

I am considering Wings Airways but the tour leaves at 9:00 and we do not get into port until 8:00. Might be cutting it close as the ship tours have priority disembarcation.

Any other rccomendations for companies? Think that Larry's does, but do not see any times listed. I have emailed him but have not heard back yet and plan to whale watch with him later that day.

Thanks,

Also there are several side dishes at the lunch, but it do not see any other option for main course other than Salmon. Maybe they have sone bear in the back :) special request when you get there. Hopefully they can prepare something else for her.

We are looking at taking this excursion but my mother does not eat fish of any sort. Do they serve any other meat besides Salmon? Thanks

When we ate there, salmon was the only "meat" available along with the side dishes. But their salmon is the very best!

Budget Queen:

Gotcha.. on the train going back to Skagway sit on the right.... bus going up do I then sit on the left or sit on the right??? Is there a "best" place to sit on the bus/train?

Is there a lot to see in Juneau besides the really "touristy" thing? After you did the Taku Lodge what did you want to see most in Juneau?

Thanks to all ya'll for helping!!

Budget Queen:

Gotcha.. on the train going back to Skagway sit on the right.... bus going up do I then sit on the left or sit on the right??? Is there a "best" place to sit on the bus/train?

Is there a lot to see in Juneau besides the really "touristy" thing? After you did the Taku Lodge what did you want to see most in Juneau?

Thanks to all ya'll for helping!!

Sit on the right side of the bus - from Skagway to Carcross.

In Juneau- there is plenty of shopping but a block off, plenty else. Pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center, or head to your library and take out Frommer's Alaska and/or Fodor's Alaska, both have walking tours of Juneau listed.

I am also going to take this excursion in Juneau too on the float plane to the lodge for lunch etc. Who do you reccomend booking with?

I am considering Wings Airways but the tour leaves at 9:00 and we do not get into port until 8:00. Might be cutting it close as the ship tours have priority disembarcation.

Any other rccomendations for companies? Think that Larry's does, but do not see any times listed. I have emailed him but have not heard back yet and plan to whale watch with him later that day.

Thanks,

Also there are several side dishes at the lunch, but it do not see any other option for main course other than Salmon. Maybe they have sone bear in the back :) special request when you get there. Hopefully they can prepare something else for her.

ALWAYS go with the vender's recommendation for scheduling tours- so directly ask them. Is your ship tendering??? That is the only time ship tours have priority. Otherwise you just walk off the ship if docked.

My wife and I went to Taku Lodge last July 4th. It was a fantastic excursion and something be cherished for the rest of my life. I can't resist putting in a link to our pictures. We were fortunate to go on an especially beautiful day. For the price, it is also an excellent value.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552768525VVOAya

ALWAYS go with the vender's recommendation for scheduling tours- so directly ask them. Is your ship tendering??? That is the only time ship tours have priority. Otherwise you just walk off the ship if docked.

Now I hear back from the vendor todau and they are sold out yet the other day Shelly told me she would be calling me today to get my information to book. That is not cool...they told me they sold all tours to the ships and luckily my ship has the tour

Well the same tour through the ship is $34 more so I won't probably go now just on principal.

Archived