Connie Dry Dock

dfhnis

I'd also like to know as we are the sailing following yours. I believe I read it was going into drydock at the time you mentioned but I'm not sure for exactly what reason.

Hopefully someone can clarify it more.

Yes Constellellation and Millennuuim is goiing into drydock this summer to get the pod Bearing Replace with a new Bearings from Rolls-Royce. Rolls-Royces Have clam with this new Bearings Celebrity should not have any more problems with the Pods. While this happing they are goiing to repace the Gas turbines with an Diesel Engines. They went to save some money on Fuel Bills. when done it should be like a new ship have a good Cruise

While this happing they are goiing to repace the Gas turbines with an Diesel Engines. They went to save some money on Fuel Bills. when done it should be like a new ship have a good Cruise
They are not replacing the gas turbines, but adding a diesel to be used while in port to produce electricity. The fuel for the GTs is not overly expensive when the ship is move, but when it's not going anywhere it is. So they are adding the diesels for when the ship is in port.

Hi,

Thats right Rick, Its a case of one gas turbine plus the steam turbine (fueled by waste heat from the gas turbine exhaust), produce too much electricity for use in port, so running a diesel there will save a lot of fuel. I assume as they are fitting the new generators in 3 weeks, that they will not be going in the engine room (this would take a lot of work and big holes in the hull to fit), but will go in the funnel housing replacing the existing emergency diesel generator?

I would love to know more about this. I hope to see both Millennium and Constellation in dry dock over in Southampton, as its only 20 mins from where I live.

Ian :D

crntrx250r,

While this happing they are goiing to repace the Gas turbines with an Diesel Engines. They went to save some money on Fuel Bills.

Well, not quite. The company has stated that they are installing auxilliary diesel generators to supply electricity when these ships are in port. The problem is that gas turbine generators inherently become very inefficient when running at low power to supply hotel loads, which typically draw less than 20% of a gas turbine generator's capacity. The diesel generators will supply this load more efficiently than the gas turbine generators, cutting fuel consumption considerably. These ships will continue to use their gas turbine generators underway.

Norm.

Ian,

Thats right Rick, Its a case of one gas turbine plus the steam turbine (fueled by waste heat from the gas turbine exhaust), produce too much electricity for use in port, so running a diesel there will save a lot of fuel. I assume as they are fitting the new generators in 3 weeks, that they will not be going in the engine room (this would take a lot of work and big holes in the hull to fit), but will go in the funnel housing replacing the existing emergency diesel generator?

As I understand it, these ships don't have any diesel generators now. Rather, they have only big gas turbine generators, sized to power the main propulsion motors in the Azipod units. The turbines probably are in the stack, as they are fairly light and that location makes them accessible for service.

But you don't put diesels in the stack. Marine diesels are WAY too heavy for that, even when sized as auxilliary generators to supply only hotel loads. The yard will make the necessary hull cuts to get them into some auxilliary machinery room down below, then plug the hole and repaint the affected area of the hull. Indeed, that's probably why the installation will take three weeks!

Norm.

Ian,

As I understand it, these ships don't have any diesel generators now. Rather, they have only big gas turbine generators, sized to power the main propulsion motors in the Azipod units. The turbines probably are in the stack, as they are fairly light and that location makes them accessible for service.

But you don't put diesels in the stack. Marine diesels are WAY too heavy for that, even when sized as auxilliary generators to supply only hotel loads. The yard will make the necessary hull cuts to get them into some auxilliary machinery room down below, then plug the hole and repaint the affected area of the hull. Indeed, that's probably why the installation will take three weeks!

Norm.

Hi,

The turbines are in the main engine room down on deck 1 on the 'M' class ships. The ships do already have emergency diesel generators in the funnel housing. (I noted them on the ships plans on a wheel house visit) The funnel housing is used as the housing for these emergency generators as in an emergency the main engine room may flood. Having the emergency generators at the highest point on the ship means that an electrical supply can be maintained even in this situation.

These emergency generators could easily be replaced with slightly larger (and more modern) generators for use when in port. These generators would also then also be available in an emergency situation. I can't see any diesels being installed in the main engine room in just 3 weeks. On the cruise ship Aurora it took 3 months to replace the main propulsion motors in the engine room, and involved some massive holes in the hull, and even the removial of some crew cabins!

Ian

Archived