NY Stay before sailing

JPM06

Has anyone stayed at the Waldorf Astoria prior to a sailing? My wife and I are going on the QM2 for our 10th anniversary. I've booked a presailing night through Cunard at the Waldorf and was wondering what type of room we'd have. Also what type of tranfer Cunard arranges from the hotel on the day of sailing.

A few years back I did the Concorde, Waldorf Astoria and QE2 combination. A mini van picked us up from the airport. A coach took us to the port. Also Cunard had a representative in the Waldorf during advertised hours.

The room at the Waldorf was very nice and big by New York standards. The bathroom was marble with a shower over the tub. The room looks like the Deluxe Guestroom as shown on the Waldorf website. The only disadvantage was the room overlooked an internal courtyard so had no street view. Though that can be a blessing considering New York traffic noise. I loved my stay at the Waldorf. Some of the public rooms are beautifully done. Try and take a peak in the ballroom.

Hope this helps, Stephen.

There are less expensive and possibley better places to stay in NYC. However, having said that, this is your tenth anniversary (Congratulations) and you are sailing on the QM2 so the Waldorf and the Queens are a perfect match. Lots of elegance in both places. You will enjoy both emensely. Catch a broadway show or go to the opera and take a wonderful long walk up Fifth Avenue and then back down Madison to take in the flavor of Manahttan. Be sure to stop off at Radio City.

These pre cruise hotel bookings are available at Waldorf Astoria, Sheraton NY Towers, and the Mandarin Oriental.:D I'm wondering also how you connect at the airport with a Cunard representative, or do you just have a coupon to present to a bus company?

I was surprised to see the price is per person and not per room, but that's NYC for you.

These pre cruise hotel bookings are available at Waldorf Astoria, Sheraton NY Towers, and the Mandarin Oriental.:D I'm wondering also how you connect at the airport with a Cunard representative, or do you just have a coupon to present to a bus company?

I was surprised to see the price is per person and not per room, but that's NYC for you.

I think if you book yourself rather than with Cunard you get a per room price which can be far less BUT you don't get the van from the airport, the Cunard rep to hold your hand and the car to the pier. Depending on your experience with visiting New York and the level of luggage you have with you etc. one can do nicely on their own but it is still nice to hand over the entire task to others while on holiday.

Hi cusyl!

Well we will be boarding the QM2 once again in April.

I will try very much to remember to visit the Library/Bookstore and ask for the CC'er Logbook once again.

On the last cruise I tried to get everyone to login if they could. This time I will also try to remind all those onboard to do so.

The book is still there right? I remember last July there was quite abit of papers left for along time to go.

Has anyone stayed at the Waldorf Astoria prior to a sailing? My wife and I are going on the QM2 for our 10th anniversary. I've booked a presailing night through Cunard at the Waldorf and was wondering what type of room we'd have. Also what type of tranfer Cunard arranges from the hotel on the day of sailing.

I've twice done it post sailing!

I'm not desperately impressed by the Waldorf=Astoria. It is cheap by London standards - at least with the current exchange rates - and as such I'd use it again. But I can't say I thought it was particularly special.

The entrance hall is superb however - but upstairs I thought it was a tadge anonymous. Especially compared with the Savoy in London.

Getting a cab to the ship is easy - well I presume it is - getting a cab to JFK was. If you want to make it a little more special then you can get a town car - I don't think that would break the bank.

To be honest I think you are better off avoiding Cunard off the ship. I've never been impressed by their shore operations - whether trips on cruises or transfers post crossing.

You do have to bear in mind that the Waldorf=Astoria is an iconic hotel, which does make it special in that sense.

I'm going to stay there again following the transatlantic crossing next January, if only because I'd like my wife to at least see the inside. Last time we were in New York together there was some big rally with Bush and the hotel was out of bounds for non residents.

Matthew

Hi cusyl!

Well we will be boarding the QM2 once again in April.

I will try very much to remember to visit the Library/Bookstore and ask for the CC'er Logbook once again.

On the last cruise I tried to get everyone to login if they could. This time I will also try to remind all those onboard to do so.

The book is still there right? I remember last July there was quite abit of papers left for along time to go.

Hey there, glad you get to sail again in April. YES, the book is still there and still active. Isn't it wonderful? We were on her in December and it's great it's still being used.

It appears most of the other log books that were put on other ships around that same time have gone by the wayside. Cunard is treating us right by taking good care of the book.

If you have a roll call and a Cruise Critic meeting on the ship, it's a good idea for someone to bring the book to the meeting for everyone to sign then.

Have a great voyage!b:D

The Waldorf is a grand old hotel with some nice Art Deco styling in the main lobby. It also offers an excellent location for walking to Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller Plaza, and all of 5th Avenue. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright designed auto dealership across the street currently occupied by Mercedes Benz. The hotel is very big and is very much a convention hotel but they really attempt to make everything correct. There is also a hotel with the hotel called the Waldorf Towers which is very upscale.

If you are going to NYC, you might want to make a pilgrimage of sorts to 25 Broadway, which is the old Cunard building. It's currently a US Post Office so access is very good. Go in and take a few moments and look around at the eleborate decorations, it's really quite stunning. Many of the countless numbers of people who began their voyages with Cunard started from this building by purchasing their tickets. I cannot think of a better way to begin a passage on the QM2.

Hey there, glad you get to sail again in April. YES, the book is still there and still active. Isn't it wonderful? We were on her in December and it's great it's still being used.

It appears most of the other log books that were put on other ships around that same time have gone by the wayside. Cunard is treating us right by taking good care of the book.

If you have a roll call and a Cruise Critic meeting on the ship, it's a good idea for someone to bring the book to the meeting for everyone to sign then.

Have a great voyage!b:D

Dear cusyl,

Thank you for your greetings and wishes. Yes, we were sold on her, after taking her in July (QM2). So we just had to find a date to sail on her. I see you have 147 days to go yourself.

I intend to use the book again as you suggested last July. Being on the QE2 so many many times in the past, I never knew there were books onboard to sign. Get a special one for the Victoria at the end of this year.

Yes, I will bring your book to a gathering if we have one. Numbers are running very LOW on this upcoming voyage.

, I never knew there were books onboard to sign. Get a special one for the Victoria at the end of this year..

Great idea! Anyone booked on the Queen Victoria maiden voyage that would be willing to place a Cruise Critic Log Book in the library????

Great idea! Anyone booked on the Queen Victoria maiden voyage that would be willing to place a Cruise Critic Log Book in the library????

What makes a ship eligible for such a tome?

Am I right in thinking that Queen Elizabeth 2 doesn't have one?

Matthew

What makes a ship eligible for such a tome?

Am I right in thinking that Queen Elizabeth 2 doesn't have one?

Matthew

Eligibility requirement. Someone buys a log book, and thinks it important enough to leave for posterity in the library or bookstore (under the counter, where it won't disappear- request it from the librarian) and gets the word out to future Cruise Critic Passengers.

Are you volunteering to immortalize the CC passengers of the Lizzie thusly? <G>

Karie,

Who has signed THE BOOK on QM2, placed there by a CC'er on the maiden voyage and ever thus has it been. Cusyl will post frequent reminders of the QE2 book also, if one of you kind cruisers will get this started! (me, too!)

Eligibility requirement. Someone buys a log book, and thinks it important enough to leave for posterity in the library or bookstore (under the counter, where it won't disappear- request it from the librarian) and gets the word out to future Cruise Critic Passengers.

Are you volunteering to immortalize the CC passengers of the Lizzie thusly? <G>

Karie,

Who has signed THE BOOK on QM2, placed there by a CC'er on the maiden voyage and ever thus has it been. Cusyl will post frequent reminders of the QE2 book also, if one of you kind cruisers will get this started! (me, too!)

Oh no Karie, I have never been blessed with a sailing on the QE2 and as such am completely unaware of such a book there.

If you are going to NYC, you might want to make a pilgrimage of sorts to 25 Broadway, which is the old Cunard building. It's currently a US Post Office so access is very good. Go in and take a few moments and look around at the eleborate decorations, it's really quite stunning.

The P.O. left the Cunard Building at 25 Bwy 18 months ago, so it is closed to the public. However, have a look inside the Alexander Hamilton Custom House just steps at the south end of Bowling Green. Go up main staircase then once inside walk straight ahead to The Rotunda where around the perimeter are Reginald Marsh's wonderful set of paintings showing the arrival of a liner in New York at various stages (Ambrose, Statue, skyline, pilot boat, docking etc) depicted by Washington/Manhattan/Queen Mary/Normandie. The building also houses the Museum of the American Indian and it is free.

Archived