World cruise?

sjde

My mother-in-law was planning to do a world cruise next year with HAL or Cunard (90-some days) but her travel agent warned her against it, saying she should start with a 30 day cruise. She says people find they get tired of it. I know she's disappointed, thinking, at 82, this may be her only chance. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Should she just go for it? Other than tiring out with alot of walking, she's in great health. The most she's done before was a 10 day cruise and a 3 week bus tour. Thanks.

Sue

My mother-in-law was planning to do a world cruise next year with HAL or Cunard (90-some days) but her travel agent warned her against it, saying she should start with a 30 day cruise. She says people find they get tired of it. I know she's disappointed, thinking, at 82, this may be her only chance. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Should she just go for it? Other than tiring out with alot of walking, she's in great health. The most she's done before was a 10 day cruise and a 3 week bus tour. Thanks.

Sue

We've done a 24 (or way it 25??) day and found that it was "enough" but that we would also have loved to stay longer. We also found, on a short trip in January, that there were placed we had not seen on our previous trip.

I'm not sure you could run out of things "to do" on the QM2, especially if you are a bit older and used to not being "bored" by things. Add the port visits sprinkled through the 90 days and you have a nice mix. Actually, on the Med trip we did, the port days were a bit too close together. I expect the World Cruise would have things more evenly spaced, with port days surrounded by generous time at-sea.

And it is the "at-sea" part that is most special. Hard to get "tired" of an experience that involves staring at the ocean for hours at a time.

You might suggest joining her for a short segment, or two. That would also be neat.

Tell her to do it. If she gets "bored" (I HATE that word) she can wire you to send her books and she can read books on her balcony while the ocean moves slowly past.

There is absolutely no question about it! Tell your mother-in-law to get on the QE2 or QM2 or QV and stay for ninety days -- or perhaps change from one to the other over a period of three months or so. If she feels a surge of boredom, go to the ship's library and check out a good book.

All the best.

Sue

Although oft repeated, it remains true.

The things that one regrets the most are those that one has not done, not those that one has.

Assuming that the finance is not an issue, I'd say go for it.

On Queen Elizabeth 2 of course - one grand old lady for another!

Matthew

My only caveat would be if she is the type that cannot stand change from her routine. The fact that she wants to do this tells me she is not the type of person who wants to sit in her rocker wearing the same shawl every day. I say go for it! These are the things that keep people young. It is known that the more active one's mind is (crosswords, reading, even just getting out and conversing) the less likely Alzheimer's is. It seems that the stimulation keeps the amyloid plaque from building and adhering.

I truly believe that those who embrace new things, and learning will live longer, more healthy lives. It's when you have nothing to look forward to that your mind starts to give up, and the body follows.

I agree with the suggestion of having family join for a segment or two. It breaks up any possible homesickness. If she found she just could not stand it (and money were not a problem- or the loss of it- I doubt you would get anything back) I don't think they would hold her on the ship against her will.

It sounds like she is an adventurous soul. Shame on your TA for stereotyping! I realize she is trying to be helpful, but only you and your MIL and family know whether she is likely to enjoy it or not. Boredom, I cannot see happening.

Karie,

who would love the chance to find out if it is possible to get bored on a world cruise.

By all means, encourage her to go. She realizes at her age it may be her last chance to do this. I agree with Karie to break up the time with a visit from the family. No reason why you can't all enjoy it. You will make memories and at that age that's very important.

The atmosphere on a WC is totally different from other cruises. There are lots of people doing the whole RTW and it is more like living in a village than being on a ship in some ways. People establish a routine for the sea days. You see your old and new friends every day in the same places. The ports punctuate all this with lots of interest. I did 7 weeks last year on QE2 and wondered if I would get fed up with it as I had never done more than two weeks at a time before. I didn't want to get off! Go for it.There will be lots of singles at least on QE2, and many in her age group. Everyone is friendly and sociable but you can keep yourself to yourself if you so desire.

Karie,

who would love the chance to find out if it is possible to get bored on a world cruise.

I'm with Karie as well - If she can afford it she should go for it. She should think of all the places she'll get to see if she wants - if she doesn't want to be bothered she's a five star hotel to look after her. Remind her that the price isn't just the ticket - there is the onboard bill (bar, massage, hair salon, etc), the costs of tours (Cunard tours are expensive but she might feel better taking them if she's on her own), the cost of souvenirs, gratuities, if she always drinks wine with her dinner she can look at about 20.00 USD per night.

Absolutely she should go for it. Why not? If she is spry and able to take care of herself, she'll love it. She'd be an asset to any trivia team with all those years of knowledge in her. And, don't forget, there's a lady who has lived on the QE2 for years and she is in her 80's. She still enjoys the ports, meals, dancing, entertainment, a lot of bridge, new friends and she is never bored.

Please let us know what ship she chooses and when. Perhaps some of us will have a chance to meet her.

Patti

Archived