Whale watching from Victoria

Silverwing

Not strictly Alaska I know, but there seem to be threads here about Seattle and Vancouver, so I'm hoping that this one is all right too!

We are coming from England and spending a week before our Alaska cruise staying with friends in Vancouver and Nanaimo. We are considering doing a whale watching trip from Victoria rather than during the cruise from Juneau. Having investigated it further there seem to be several tour operators doing 3 hour trips from Victoria. Does anyone have experience of any of these? I would welcome any helpful comments before we make a final decision.

I go with Seacoast Expeditions the most, but Prince of Whales is a big operator with several boats and right on the Inner harbor.

I only go on the zodiacs, there is nothing like being right on the water alongside the orcas. :)

I can vouch for Prince of Whales as a good whale watching tour to go with as well. I think it's the one we're leaning to as well (simply b/c we want to see orcas and it's less in Victoria than Alaska, and my brother did this expedition with them before).

My brother came back with amazing picture of whales right along side the boat.

I couldn't find if both provided "survival suits" which are basically a light waterprotected snow suit that is a floatation device if you fall out - but I just found they both do. That part was really important to me and mom since Mom can't swim, and I'd panic if I did fall in!

Here are the two links tho so you can have a look see:

Seacoast Expeditions

http://www.seacoastexpeditions.com/whale_watching_tours.html

Prince of Whales

http://www.princeofwhales.com/victoria_tours.html#zodiac

Oh and I suggest the ZODIAK type tour. It looks the best! ;)

Archived