Need to verify passport requirements? I found a great resource

luvthis

I posted a thread earlier about the need to renew my upcoming expired passport before cruising in April on a repositioning voyage thru the Panama Canal. I received several responses. Thanks to each of you...it was greatly appreciated.

I decided to go to NPIC@state.gov and ask them directly. You can call 1-877-487-2778, M-F, 7am-12am EST, but I decided to e-mail them instead. I provided them with the itinerary of where I was going, the approximate date I was leaving, and the approximate date that our passports expired. It took less than 24 hours and I received an e-mail back. When you send your e-mail, they ask to be allowed 48 hours to respond.

The e-mail I recieved back assured me that the countries I was visiting did not require the 6 month validity. I was told I was all set to use my current passports for the cruise in April and can send them in for renewal when I return. It was signed by an assigned agent number from the National Passport Information Center. This gives me great peace of mind, plus I have a hard copy e-mail of the correspondence and their response that I can take along with me when I cruise in April.

I thought this might be a helpful resource for others that are in the same situation regarding expiration dates on their passports and upcoming cruise travel and for general passport information in general.

Best,

--Jean

In spite of everything you have, a valid passport in hand is worth more than a hard copy of an email.

As far as I'm concerned I will be renewing my passport as soon as I am eligible to, which is in July 2011.

Archived