Belize ZOO

saraisarai

• 3 weeks later...

The Belize Zoo is what I'd call an enviornmentally friendly zoo. In some cases (such as the monkeys) the animals aren't penned in, so much as the humans are penned out. It's a very natural environment for a lot (not all) of the animals. It probably takes just over an hour to see all of the exhibits. Belize is big on educating it's children about conservation and the value of Belize's natural resources, including its wildlife.

Monika

• 2 weeks later...

i was there several years ago and i think it would be ok in a wheelchair with a helper. Rustic is a very nice word. primitive is better. The trip out and back with the right driver- plus the zoo make for a very wonderful day. Roy Flowers is the man to find. He works at the dock where you tender- you can't book him ahead of time, just ask for him.

Last year we took a cave-tubing tour ( I can't remember who with) I think they're generic honestly. Everyone we talked to had pretty much the same experience. And it is great, but the long drive in is boring. Our driver didn't talk at all. We got suited up and started the hike which was very easy-by the way. A lot of interesting info on plants and animals along the way. We got into the river, and linked up- there's no way I would belive you could do it any other way. The current was fast and cold, being by yourself wouldn't make any sense. Maybe at other times of the year... but not in November.

The trip was gorgeous. I won't spoil it for you. But I hope a Toucan flies above you as you exit and float down-river. it was like being in the Garden of Eden itself. So beautiful.

Roy works for the biggest tour company right beside the dock-not outside the gate- I sure wish I could remember the name. He'll take you on any tour that you want. He's just the driver-he knows his way anywhere. He took us past his family's house, we met his daughter-in the city, and he took us into Belize City for a shopping tour after the zoo.

He showed us the best place on the street to buy lunch, took us into a grocery and explained the differences between American and Belizean culture, took us to the best shopping places (Get the Belizean Heat!) and even gave me family recipes. (Weirdest thing-while we were shopping-We ran into a friend from our home-town!) Complete with a stop to buy coconut oil - in a Boone's Farm bottle-to fry my chicken the way his wife does. and yes- it's incredible- I don't use it often, i keep it in the fridge and use it sparingly.

After we'd gone i felt that we had a true impression of this beautiful country, not just the touristy one. The caves were great on the second trip, but our family will always remember Roy Flowers and his generosity.

i went to the belize zoo on a cruis eit was very nice but we were supose to go on a boat ofter we had lunch and the boat ran out of gas and we were stuck for about an hour and a half unfortunatly we had the cruises comedian on with us. But i recomend the zoo

I just returned a few weeks ago, and we did the zoo for our 2nd time in Belize as we hadn't been inland before. We all enjoyed it, as all the animals are indiginent (sp?) to Belize. There are no elephants and giraffes, etc. It's a very natural zoo.

And it was nice to know that the animals hadn't been 'captured' to be put on display. They are animals that people thought they could keep as pets, only to discover they are wild animals.:eek: Or animals abandoned by their mothers, injured, etc. that could not be released back into the wild so they have a safe and happy life at the zoo.:)

I know it was quite a distance, but we did the city tour beforehand so can't really say exactly how long it took to actually get to the zoo. If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say 45 minutes to an hour. There were several vendors in the Tourist Village that offered trips for basically the same price. They'll do a city tour and the zoo. I can't remember what their prices were exactly, I want to say they ranged in the area of around $40.00 per person. We actually walked to the front and asked a security guard at the entrance if he could recommend a 'Licensed' tour guide. Not all in the front of the building through the gates are licensed. You want a licensed one!!! We had 6 people and he waved one over for us and I negotiated a price of $150.00 for the city tour and the zoo for all six of us. That didn't include the zoo entrance of (I think?) $8.00 or $10.00 per person.

I'm not sure what a ship excursion would be, may be a comparable price, you'd have to check. Have fun!:D

Archived