Just back from Fascination

suntanzi

We normally sail RCCL and wanted to give Carnival a try because our 2 small kids were going along. While I did like the Kids Club, I don't know if I would choose Carnival again.

Pros:

* Immaculately clean and spacious suite (we were in a cat 12 penthouse suite) and extremely friendly housekeeping/steward staff

* Bathrobes and suite amenities including razors, toothpaste, hair gel, shampoo, soap, etc.. there was a hair dryer,too despite reports contrary in other posts

* Kids club activities were well planned and fun with lots of take home things like tshirt, backpack, at no extra charge

* Gym is well equipped and clean

* Bar drinks are well made and specials of the day are good

* Embark & Debark process very quick and easy and luggage delivered quickly

Cons:

* Nicest thing I can say about a majority of the food is that it was edible. The Caesar dressing is just gross, it tastes fishy and off. I ordered it on the side once to see if it was just a bad batch the first time but nope, it was a gelatinous lump of funky fishy mess

* Room service food is horrific. Normally I don't use room service on a cruise but with the kids going to bed early, I tried it. UGH. No hot food, mostly sandwiches, and premade so forget leaving off the mayo or whatever. An odd thing, if I didn't ask for milk to go along with cereal or sugar/cream with coffee, it didn't come on the tray.

* Kiddie pool is on a deck that is only accessible via stairs and far away from bathrooms. Not so good for someone with a stroller and little kids who have to pee every 30 minutes

* Clientele (on several occasions my small children and I were shoved out of the way so someone could get to an elevator or into the dining room when the doors opened late, people had no problem ignoring lines at spa desk/purser's desk and the staff allowed it,...)

* Waitstaff was not very attentive compared to the very personal service I am used to on RCCL where I feel like I know the waiters at week's end

* Although we paid for 4 people in the room, I had to fight for 4 pool towels daily, they wanted me to have 2. Seemed petty.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

I've noticed that Carnival does make "traditional" Ceasar dresseing ...ie, it is made with anchovies.

I don't think this was homemade, I think it was from a tub. I base that on the way it was served when it came on the side, a giant scoop in a bowl that was definitely a thick gel that you wouldn't get with fresh ingredients, more like if you used thickeners like xanthan gum. And I don't mean it was fishy like it tasted like anchovy, I mean fishy like it tasted the way a dead fish smells.

I love Caesar salads and have eaten them at a variety of restaurants, at home, on cruises, at friends houses. I have had them prepared with anchovies tableside and have had bought bottled dressing. But I have never eaten a dressing that tasted like the one on the Fascination and I sure hope never to do it again, either!

I have to agree with the awful tasting Caesar's salad...I had some on the Fascination and it was YUCKY!! Tasted sooo fishy I couldn't eat it. However, everything else on the ship was great to me and hubby, it was our first cruise! Now we are taking our first RCI cruise 5/7/07 and we shall see how that compares!! So far cabin size is a negative for RC.

I have to agree with the awful tasting Caesar's salad...I had some on the Fascination and it was YUCKY!! Tasted sooo fishy I couldn't eat it. However, everything else on the ship was great to me and hubby, it was our first cruise! Now we are taking our first RCI cruise 5/7/07 and we shall see how that compares!! So far cabin size is a negative for RC.

You are absolutely right, the cabin size is small on their ships. In the past we have gone without the kids so we didn't care, we were very active and rarely in there. One tip I learned on this board is to take an over door organizer and that really helped with cutting the clutter since there was very limited storage.

Archived