Is June to early to see bears?

KCfan

My DH and I were in Alaska last week of May - first week of June 2006. Funny thing was I had posted several inquiries on here asking about bear viewing and received several responses that it would be "too early in the season" as the bears aren't out until Salmon spawn.

Now, here's the reality. Wildlife is just that - wild. It is unpredictable but ever present. We were able to see bears in several places - primarily Juneau, Skagway (driving through the Yukon) and again in Denali. We were within 10 feet of a black bear on numerous occassions while driving and as long as you just observe and don't spook them they are preoccupied searching for food. It was an amazing experience and all the "naysayers" were wrong.

My advice...do some research and chose an excursion that you really want. Keep your eyes open and be optimistic. Although there is no guarantee, I am pleased to say we were very successful!!!

Have a great trip!

June is too early to see bears on the tours that specialize in taking people to salmon spawning streams, because the salmon are not there yet.

In SE Alaska it is very common to see bears along the beaches, particularly at low tide, as they come down to eat mussels, fish, etc. that they find in the tidepools. At other times of the day, you can find them in meadows and green areas eating sedges and other nutritious plants. May and June are often good times to see bears in Denali as well. In the early part of the season they move around a lot because food isn't as abundant.

If bears are a high priority, check with some of the tours that go to Hallo Bay, or some of the small boat tours. Hoonah is also a good place for bears.

Archived