goggles & nose clip instead of mask? Mustache

CMM

My husband has a mustache and had trouble snorkling a long time ago. I read some tips here about shaving a little of your mustache & using vaseline to get a better seal. He thinks that goggles with a nose clip or somehow removing the nose part of a mask and using nose clips would be better. Last time we snorkled we really just floated looking into the water. Would a nose clip work ok? Thinking about buying some inexpensive snorkle equipment, but don't have a dive store near us. Just some general sporting good places that carry some gear.

Thanks

Ihave found that swim googles are uncomfortabel to wear for a long period of time and that the strap is usually too flimsy to support a snorkel tube. The newer masks are made with silicone and have a much better seal to the face. I think if he thins the stache out a little and uses a little vasaline on it where it meets the mask, he should be ok.

Mike

Vaseline is petroleum-based and is not recommended for use on silicone masks. Try this.

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/files/products/details.cfm?ProductID=134

I also agree with not using swim goggles. Like previous poster said, can't hook your snorkel to them and nothing looks better than the circle marks around the eyes. :D

the vassoline works , i also have a stach', so he cand do that or, shave it off like i do b4 i go diving, or spend a little more on a mask that has a purge valve in the nose so if water gets in, just a little blow of the nose, and viola...mask cleared

the vassoline works , i also have a stach', so he cand do that or, shave it off like i do b4 i go diving, or spend a little more on a mask that has a purge valve in the nose so if water gets in, just a little blow of the nose, and viola...mask cleared

Snorkeling with just goggles and a nose clip is a very bad idea!! Especially if you dive down below the surface. As you go down, the pressure increases and compresses your body. With a mask, the air in your lungs compresses and makes the pressure in your mask the same as the water (air through the nose). With goggles there is no way to equalize the pressure and the air pressure inside the googles will be lower than your body and the water. This effectively creates a vacuum and can cause bruising around the eyes ( same principle as a hickie!) Best case it is uncomfortable and unattractive -- worst can cause swelling.

Thanks for all advise.

Can you tell me more about a purge valve. Can you do this while snorkleing or do you have to lift your head out of the water? I saw some reasonably priced maskes with these.

CMM:

My DH also has the moustache. He started scuba diving when he didn't have it a couple years ago, and when he grew the 'stache back, he switched masks because his first one didn't fit right any more. (actually, he tried mine out in the pool and then went and bought one like it:p ). We both have Cressis. He still ends up having to purge more often than I do, but he also has contacts to worry about.

He does trim the moustache back a little before we dive, but if your DH is anything like mine, shaving it off would be out of the question!:D

Try to find a store that will let him try a mask on; many of the sporting goods ones will.

Good luck,

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?"

Thanks for all advise.

Can you tell me more about a purge valve. Can you do this while snorkleing or do you have to lift your head out of the water? I saw some reasonably priced maskes with these.

The purge valve is a small valve in the nose section of the mask that is supposed to let the water out -- while underwater. My experiance is that they let as much in and they do out. With a proper fitting mask and good technique you can clear a mask at any depth.

Check and see if you local YMCA or Dive shop teach snorkeling classes or if they have someone that could teach you how to clear a snorkel and mask.

Snorkelling is MUCH more pleasant when you have had a little more in-depth (ha-ha-ha) instruction! Learning to clear the mask and snorkel, how to dive, etc...

I have to add that he should definately try it on before buying. If possible, have someone that knows how a mask should fit with him. Each face is different and each mask will fit differently. I have a mustache and have very little leakage in my mask. I did try out 5 or 6 different masks at a local dive shop first to make sure it fit right.

Archived