Sea Spi Tour

Jermar

• 3 weeks later...

We just came back from the Grand Caymans and did this excursion. I highly recommend it. My husband does not snorkel and I wanted him to experience the reefs first hand. It was super. Could have stayed on it all day. We paid about 60.00 each through Carnival.

It is an electric craft that moves fairly slowly even at top speed. No worry about falling off. It is worthwhile for all ages and very safe.

Enjoy

That's one we were looking at for our May cruise. How long were you actually on the water? I'm one of those poor souls who avoids the sun and burns easily. :cool: Is there any shelter from the sun on the watercrafts? Thanks for your help - I'm trying to avoid ruining the rest of the cruise!

We were actually on the craft and out in the water about an hour or an hour and 20 mins. There is no shelter on the craft as you are skimming right over the reefs in the harbor.

My suggestion would be to wear capris and a light weight long sleeve shirt or 3/4 sleeve shirt over a tank top. Bring a change of clothes. There is a place to change clothes when you get out. The staff will keep your belongings locked up while you are out.

When you get in the water to get on the craft you are standing in about thigh high water. Once you are on the craft you might get a little spray but you do not get soaking wet.

Be sure to bring your water shoes. You kneel on the back of the craft and skoot yourself forward or crawl forward qand lay on your stomach. The craft is padded and contoured for comfort. If you are athletic all you have to do is stand next to it and boost yourself over and up. It was a little harder for me because I have muscle issues.

The staff is very helpful. In May it might be rather hot. You can bring a bottle of water along but there is not a lot of room for stuff. I'd be sure to get 50 or 60 sunblock and cover your head in addition to wearing clothing.

I believe Richard is the owner. We met him while we were there. Very nice. Nick was our guide and he was super. Can't remember the gals names but everyone was 1st rate.

My husband is an anti-water couch potato person. He wanted to get a job and stay there working for them.

Any other questions I'd be glad to help

Thanks for the great input. Even if I get a little toasted, this sounds like a lot of fun. There will be something I can wear that will protect me, I'm sure. The tip about the water shoes is great - I doubt I would have thought of them.:rolleyes: Thanks again.

OK - I printed your post, hightailed it downstairs, and talked DH into the Sea Spi tour for Grand Cayman. (Thanks again for the GREAT info!). Now, I have another question. The tour costs $85 through Carnival, but can be booked online for $70 from the operator. How far is the tour site from the tender dock? Is it walkable, or a short taxi ride? I'd hate to spend all the savings on transportation.

Also, the tour can be booked at a variety of times. I was thinking 11:00 AM, but would like to avoid all the traffic from the tours booked through Carnival. Does that time sound good?

You'll probably get a lot of other folks wanting to pick your brains about the Sea Spi tour - thanks for being there to ask.

Charming,

Thanks much for posting and the info. We leave Sunday, and I have booked this but -- although I posted on here long ago for info -- no one replied who had done this. Now I'm looking forward to it!

Would it be okay to just wear a swimsuit and water shoes, rather than changing?

Charming,

Thanks much for posting and the info. We leave Sunday, and I have booked this but -- although I posted on here long ago for info -- no one replied who had done this. Now I'm looking forward to it!

Would it be okay to just wear a swimsuit and water shoes, rather than changing?

You can wear a swim suit and just bring a cover up.

OK - I printed your post, hightailed it downstairs, and talked DH into the Sea Spi tour for Grand Cayman. (Thanks again for the GREAT info!). Now, I have another question. The tour costs $85 through Carnival, but can be booked online for $70 from the operator. How far is the tour site from the tender dock? Is it walkable, or a short taxi ride? I'd hate to spend all the savings on transportation.

Also, the tour can be booked at a variety of times. I was thinking 11:00 AM, but would like to avoid all the traffic from the tours booked through Carnival. Does that time sound good?

You'll probably get a lot of other folks wanting to pick your brains about the Sea Spi tour - thanks for being there to ask.

Our transportation was included with the tour. It is too far to walk for me especially in 90 degrees. It is about a mile from the dock.

I'm pretty sure the facility would still send a van to pick you up if you arranged it in advance. We went out at 11 am.

Hope you have a blast.

After all that wondering how the Sea Spi excursion would be, our excursion (through Carnival) was cancelled due to rough water. Disappointing. But the annoying thing was that Carnival didn't bother to tell us that it was cancelled. A couple of other tours had posted cancellations signs, but none for this one. So we ended up arriving an hour before it was supposed to begin, waiting around all that time for it to start, then finally finding a Carnival rep who told us it was cancelled. Why not have the courtesy of posting a cancellation sign? Anyway, we did the Seaworld Explorer semi sub instead (NOT through Carnival), which turned out to be very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

The e-mail address for the company that runs the Sea Spi activity is:

booking@seasuncayman.com

You can ask them directly or call them (number provided on webpage linked below) on the phone.

website is:

http://seasuncayman.com/index.html

I booked directly through Carnival for my excusion next week. But if the price is considerably different, I'd consider deleting my reservation and booking direct. I'll be happy to post a review of this one here in a couple of weeks. I'm doing it because my kids are still a little young and not strong enough swimmers to do snorkling at a level where they would see as much as they would on this tour. Also, I like the idea of a guide out there directing you where things are.

Archived