Ketichikan Bear Excursion

taxjam

Looking for recommendations re Bear flightsee excursions for 2 from Ketchikan for August 7th. We are considering Anan (around $400 per person) which seems to have Brown bears or Traitor's Cove (around $320 because of shorter flight) which seems to have Black bears. Any comments on either or other alternatives?

Taxjam - I think you are probably better off enquiring with the service provider as I think where you will go will depend on bear timing - am fairly sure you will be too early for Traitors Cove (the experts on the boards I am sure will correct me if I'm wrong!) we went with Michelle from Island Wings and found her to be a super professional - I would email her and ask her opinion!

Anan in your timeframe. Which is also going to most likely be blacks. A little early for peak Traitor's Cove. My opinion only- definately consult direct with the venders. When I go, I want peak, I don't settle for fringe seasons on big dollar tours.

Hi,

I contacted Island Wings about this same issue. We will be in Ketchikan on August 1st and they are advising Traitors Cove instead of Anan for this time. It wasn't Michelle I corresponded with by the way!... I don't get it - Isn't Anan the place to be at this time of year!!!

It may have to do with the availability of Anan permits which I understand is in extremely short supply this coming year??? Go with the vender's recommendations. Traitors- in the past has been peak later than Anan. Inquire what 2006's stats were on the timing.

Sometimes predicting peak viewing times is like looking into a crystal ball.

There are some many variables. The biggest is timing of the salmon runs.

Generally speaking salmon return on a timetable. Depending on species and other factors.

And bears are pretty adept at figuring it out. The first week in August might work out for a good experience at Traitors. Most of the vendors won't take you out if the fish haven't started running upstream. Cause no fish usually equals no bears.

That sounds like a good plan. Don't just limit yourself to Island Wings though. There are other good outfits to take you up to Anan. It will all depend on who has the permits. Traitors Cove would be a very good back up.

That sounds like a good plan. Don't just limit yourself to Island Wings though. There are other good outfits to take you up to Anan. It will all depend on who has the permits. Traitors Cove would be a very good back up.

I just got an e-mail back from Island Wings and they have availability for Anan. I asked about stats. for 2006 bear viewing and they say they don't have any - should I book Anan??? (ie not Traitors Cove as they are recommending). I trust the advice I get here!

Thanks

Archived