Help with Volendam cabins

haligonian37

Persistence Pays,

Once we had 7086 on hold for our DD who was unable to cruise with us. Ask about a "wait list" and if using a TA bug her/him to check often to be sure you are still listed...also helps to find out if you are at the top of the list. Usually HAL won't deal directly if you have a TA.....the TA has to be proactive. However I have had help from HAL to see what is available. Got an aft suite that way. My TA (no longer use) was too often "out of office."

We do have 7083 booked for our Alaska Zaandam cruise in September. I am challenging the budget on this one and felt as if I could pull off a near -veranda view for the price of an I. BTW these are located on Navagation Deck where the Penthouse, Suites and "A" cabins are located. I saw 1841 (on Main deck)which I think is the same configuration. It's small and harder to get around for two and lacks a convenient table for room service. And only has a shower.

Good Luck,

Blessings,

Gail

Regarding 7086 /7083......when I was on the Zaandam to Alaska I went up there to check the deck out behind them. There were big piles of loungers bound together and stored there greatly reducing the chance of sitting out there . This could have been a temporary situation.....perhaps they were just storing them there during the cool season.....or getting ready to offload them for good. Perhaps you could ask posters cruising about the time you are going to check out the current situation?

• 4 weeks later...
Have you actually checked the HAL website to see if either of those aft cabins is available?

We have booked one for our upcoming cruise on Volendam. When I was checking on-line TA websites it didn't show up as available but when I checked the HAL website and entered the specific cabin number it showed up and I booked it ASAP.

So glad you enjoyed your first cruise. Join the crowd of the hopelessly but happily addicted:D

Here I am, resurrecting this old thread because I need help once again! Well, more advice than anything and this is the best place for that.

I had been trolling around online and was checking for price reductions and saw that both of those "inside" cabins 7083 & 7086 are now available for my cruise! I would love to hear what you thought of the cabin from your recent cruise (I am very jealous, btw). The only concerns I had were with the amount of motion at the very back of the ship and any noise from above.....but I'm pretty sure I'll be giving my TA a call first thing tomorrow to see if she can snag me one before they disappear again.

Glad to report in:

Noise from above: Zero The cabin is too far back to be affected by the dragging of chairs. Zero noise from stairs.

Motion of the ocean: I really can't say as the sea was calm throughout our cruise. You can probably count on more motion in late autumn in the Caribbean or on a round-trip Hawaii cruise. There might have been some subtle motion because I had that lovely "still at sea feeling" for about three days after returning home.

Visibility from outside: Zero, but we did keep our drapes closed at night, because the deck outside is brightly lit. 7083 window has the stairway across it but light is not obstructed. I think 7086 might be darker because the stairway shelters it, but that window's view in unobstructed.

Deck space outside: There are two built-in wooden benches (the kind where life jackets are stored). There were also two faux wicker chairs outside 7086. Hardly ever saw anybody else out on this deck, but it is pleasant and sheltered by the deck above.

Cabin configuration: More square than the usual inside cabin. Has the standard three closets along the corridor wall at the foot of the beds. One with the safe. One with fold-down shelves. Getting into the closets can be tricky if two people are trying to dress. The doors completely block the walkway at the end of the bed. The person using the bed nearest the window is stuck there until the closet door is closed.

The bathroom is the standard inside cabin configuration with a shower, no tub. The beds are placed by the window with head against the portside wall. There is an odd narrow alcove which partiallly accommodates the couch. We figured out that wall across the end of the alcove is actually the wall of the aft pool, heard no sound from that wall. No sound transmitted from any engines either.

the2ofus,

Thanks for such a detailed desciption, it was so much more than I had expected and it was a great help in quelling that tiny bit of doubt I had hanging around in my head.

I just got an e-mail confirmation from my TA for my change to 7086. She was a bit bewildered as to why I wanted to change cabins, especially from an outside to an inside. Then I let her in on the secret. I had also found some pictures of the cabin from a thread from last September, which worked great in conjunction with your descriptions.

Now if I could only find some way to make the next 7 months go by quicker!

Archived