Sapphire or Coki???

I Teach

Has anyone been to both of these beaches and can make a comparison?? Which one do you think would be the best for just spending the day? We must have some shade available too. We all have our own snorkeling equipment and enjoy just relaxing in the water on a float.

Thanks for any help!

hi,

I've been to Coki and if you want to just snorkel all day, it is the PERFECT place for that. Also, Coral World is right next door, is cheap,(under $15 PP) and has a great place to eat, lockers, and showers. You can go back and forth all day. Its a great way to spend the day.:D

Has anyone been to both of these beaches and can make a comparison?? Which one do you think would be the best for just spending the day? We must have some shade available too. We all have our own snorkeling equipment and enjoy just relaxing in the water on a float.

Thanks for any help!

Both beaches have great snorkeling. Coki is a bit smaller in size and tends to fill up quickly so there may be some crowd issues if there are 4 or more ships in town the day that you're there.

Sapphire has plenty of natural shade and Coki has umbrella rentals.

The view at Sapphire is spectacular whereas the view at Coki is just so-so.

I have pictures from both beaches here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/Travel/162954

Went to Coki several years ago but this was my impression. Snorkeling was ok, nothing spectacular but not horrible. If you are looking for beach...it is a VERY narrow strip of beach right up against the road. Lots of traffic within ear shot. The guy who rented us the chairs warned us of the surf. Several people who had towels on the ground got flooded out. Not much of a place to go if you want a beach day.

Sapphire was a very large, wide beach. I didn't snorkel but heard it was decent right off the shore. If you look at my post of pictures in St Thomas, there are a couple pictures of Sapphire. We spent a wonderful day there.

I would definately recommend Sapphire over Coki.

Good luck!

I sure appreciate all the information. It sounds like Sapphire is the one to go to for all we want to do. I'll forward the information to my group.:)I really like the wider beaches so you don't feel like you are on top of your neighbor. I'd love to keep hearing opinions!!

Thanks for the help and advice!

I sure appreciate all the information. It sounds like Sapphire is the one to go to for all we want to do. I'll forward the information to my group.:)I really like the wider beaches so you don't feel like you are on top of your neighbor. I'd love to keep hearing opinions!!

Thanks for the help and advice!

As above poster said, Coki is right on the road. We went to Sapphire and loved it. Lot's of room, nice clean beach, natural shade, awesome water!! Would definetly choose Sapphire over Coki!! Enjoy, we sure did.

anyone know of parasailing at either of these beaches? cost? and how do we get there from the Princess port? and maybe i need to inquire on how easily it will be go get back.

You can parasail from Sapphire. Not sure what the price is. At Coki the parasailing is from Coral World, the marine park that is next to Coki Beach. You can check their website for more informaiton http://www.coralworldvi.com/.

Easy to get a taxi to either beach and to to get back.

--Islander

I Teach,

Things have been crazy busy at school, and I have not been on in over a week. That's so cool we're on the same ship. Do you have kids? We are flying Friday morning into San Juan. Did you know there is a cruise critic party at wheel something bar at 5pm on Saturday???

Hi---crazy at my school too!!! Lots of sickness--both my TA's have been out sick--- fortunately not on the same days!!

I have two kids--both in college so neither will be going with us. We are traveling with a group of dear friends--six of us. We went on Royal Carribean Southern route over last spring break. This is our first time on Princess.

It is so nice to have something to look forward too!!

I'll check out the roll call---

Linda....Your pictures are beautiful! We are going there in March. I have a question about the water...the areas in the water that are dark, is that rocks, seaweed areas or just dark sand?

The dark areas are coral/rocks and the light areas are sand.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Linda

Linda....Your pictures are beautiful! We are going there in March. I have a question about the water...the areas in the water that are dark, is that rocks, seaweed areas or just dark sand?

The dark areas are rocks/coral. Light areas are sand.

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Archived