INFO: Getting a passport for an infant/toddler

flagger

Went to one post office this morning, there were only two people working the counter and a line out the door. Ok no thanks.

Went to the main post office in our little city within the big city and they have set hours for passport collection. I get there and there are two late teens/early twentys who have been waiting for 30 minutes and the light for the passport part of the PO is off. Then some guy comes out and says, "He is on his way, should be just a minute".

Five minutes later he comes and the two kids go in and it takes them, I swear I am not making this up, 40 minutes to get their passport applications turned in. They brought CASH!!! So they have to wait until they can get a money order sold to them, (luckily they can cut in line). Then the counter clerk (of which there were also only two) is slower than anyone at the DMV and takes forever to finish the transaction she had been working on. Oh did I mention they have to get photos taken as well?

TO top all that off, she forgets to collect the execution fee so they have to go back out with their cash and pay for that.

I go in with my form signed by Ms. Flagger, photos I got at Wal-mart, her birth certificate, my passport. The form is all filled out except not signed because I have to sign it after taking the oath that I didn't lie on her application. I write two checks (one to US Department of State for $40 and one to Postmaster for $30 (execution fee). Cocoa and I are in and out in five minutes.

Hope this helps someone else who needs to get a passport for their wee one. I printed out all the forms from the website and didn't need Ms. Flagger's consent form notarized. Ms. Flagger is at work so she could not be with me. If you get a passport for a wee one, both parents must be present otherwise a consent to issue a passport to a minor must be filled out.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
We went to our local post office on a Saturday morning early. I had called ahead (as they had told me to do) to make sure that the one person that works there that can do passports was working. They told me to get there early enough and they could "probably" do the passport.

We did arrive before the major morning rush. Had to wait a few minutes for them to call the passport individual from the back. She was slow with the paperwork but I had everything filled out and in order and all of us were present so we didn't need the consent form.

My biggest concern was when my DH took our DD into the photo room. They only had a wooden stool with no back to take her photo. At 10 months that is a little dangerous. DH stood very close and it was ok.

Not sure what other passport photo places do for infants?

Still waiting on receiving it back, with all of our important original certificates, in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update. We received our daughter's passport back in just under three weeks. It was issues two weeks to the day of when we turned it in. Not bad for the middle of the summer travel season.

Archived