Just Back From The July 22-28 Qm2 Transatlantic Crossing!!!!

LORIA

Well, what could i say, it was a great ship! The embarkment went smooth in South Hampton, as I arrived at the pier at 11:00, and was on board by noon ( my time i received was 3:30, but i arrived eary anyway)!!! The art work and grand lobby are beautiful, and it was a bit confusing in the beginning finding my way around, but by the second day, I knew my way around! the food was good, Kings court definetly should have been designed better! I ate in the Britania dining room which was nice, the food was good, but the service also needs to be worked on- we seemed to be the last table out every night. Shows and entertainment were good, and I liked the disco at night-g32. I was traveling alone ( i am in my early 30's,) and I met ALOT of nice people and families from all over the world. I would say that the activities during the day lacked a bit, I would have liked more things to do, but I did enjoy the gym and the pilates classes ( which is in a horrible location on the ship- deck 1- bottom of the ship in a very small room). The weather for our crossing was great- we were out in the sun every day, except for the last day- it did rain for a while. I was invited to the captains private cocktail part one evening, and enjoyed meeting him, and taking pictures with him. My room wa nice, I was on the 8th deck -8025, and had a balcony with an obstructed view ( I did not mind, because I booked a, obstructed view- inside cabin and was upgraded)!!!!! well, overall, I enjoyed my crossing and my 1 week prestay in london, and I am happy to tell people that I traveled on the biggest ocean liner of all times- life is good:)

P.S. I SIGNED THE CRUISE CRITIC LOG- AS OF JULY 22, 2004- 81 SIGNATURES!!!!!!!!!

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Like you, QM2 won me over as well. I was skeptical but what a fantastic ship! I hope to return many times.

I was in cabin 8020, just on the opposite hall from you. I was also upgraded but in my case from a standard outside guarantee. It was a pleasant surprise. While the view was obstructed, I was still able to enjoy a partial ocean view and the balcony was a nice feature. I also loved the location as I'm sure you did as well. The library and spa were practically at my doorstep, the Commodore Club a quick flight up, and the King's Court just a deck down. I would absolutely pick the same location again, but maybe one deck up next time! ;)

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this crossing and have to say very disappointed.

Over 2hour wait to embark at Southampton, and awful disembarkation at New York.

Ship is wonderful,but compared with the QE 2, you can only describe the service levels as awful, may be we were spoilt on the QE2 but isnt that what we pay for.

I think Cunard management are adopting "Emperor's New Clothes" attidude, telling each other everything is wonderful when it patently isn't.

Question, what does it take to make a M'aitre D smile or even acknowledge passengers?

Are they frightened to ask if everything is satisfactory in case they get the wrong answer?

Hi JPEVANS-

I have to agree with you regarding passengers on the same sailings!!! For the most part, passengers were comparing this ship to the qe2, and that is where most of the complaints came from. The complaints were anything from the color of the rugs in the lobby to the ship is too big to walk around!!! Well, in my opinion, you know that you are going on the biggest cruise liner of all times, the ship is still new and getting out its "quirks" and there are 2800 passengers that they have to try and please, and you just can't please everyone!!!!! Cunard is doing a fine job, and I plan on sailing on the QM2 again soon!!

I agree Loria,

After two crossings on QM2, I wonder if I was on the same ship!

I think the ship is wonderful and other than a few minor service issues, yes minor in my experience, I will continue to sail her.

I should remark that I am a veteran of a few QE2 crossings so I think I can fairly compare the two.

I also think the rosy view of the QE2 is just silly. Whole websites and papers have been devoted on how bad the QE2 has often been in the past, especially when one considered how costly it has often been to sail her.

I admit I love the QE2 and hopefully will sail her one last time before she leaves service but lets not pretend she was a perfect ship. Perfect ships do not exist.

Cheers!

Archived