"Shorter Cruise" Questions - For those who have taken 4 night cruises

bride and groom

We just booked for May 25th on QM2. It's a short, 4 nighter round trip from NYC to the Bahamas (Princess Cay).

Here are the questions:

1) Will the Black and White Ball be formal night?

2) Since this cruise is so short, are the rest informal nights or casual nights?

3) We booked a Princess Grill cabin, I know we have our own dining room

but what else can we expect in the way of "perks"

4) Any recommendations you can make on things not to be missed on the

ship are welcomed

Thanks

1) Will the Black and White Ball be formal night? It has been my experience on three different QM2 cruises that yes, the Black and White Ball is held on "Formal Night", and usually it's the same night as the Captain's Reception before dinner. Ball is held after dinner about 10PM in the Queen's Room.

2) Since this cruise is so short, are the rest informal nights or casual nights?

In January we took the 4 night to St.Thomas, it was one formal, three dressy casual -- nice slacks and nice tops. We bucked this and went dressier every night.

3) We booked a Princess Grill cabin, I know we have our own dining room

but what else can we expect in the way of "perks". Someone else will answer this I'm sure.

4) Any recommendations you can make on things not to be missed on the

ship are welcomed. Take in at least one planetarium show, high tea in the Queen's room at 3:30PM, see the library and bookstorm before dinner cocktail in the Chart Room. Ask at the Purser's desk for the directions on how to find the Bridge -- there's a large window area where you can stand and observe them at work. Just my fav things. If you like souvenirs, shop the first day at sea as everything will get picked over very fast and by the last sea day it will look like a hoard of locusts swept through the gift shop.

Dear Bride and Groom, I will also be on your cruise!. My first cruise was a 4 dayer this past Sept. I was upgraded to Princess Grill. First, you will have a lovely quiet dining room. If you want more selections, ask for the ala carte menu. You can dining a various times, so that you have more options to select shows and such. In the room, you will get a pillow concierge, a newspaper of your choice, personal stationary,fresh fruit daily and bottled water, french champagne and strawberries on arrival. You will have an oversized glass balcony to die for. You will have a large bathroom with tub/shower and a dressing area. There is a concierge room on the 9th floor to read, get tours, assistance, etc. Do not go to the Queens Room for tea. It is a zoo. Princess quests are allowed in the Queens Lounge for tea where they have a string quartet. Get a massage or facial at the Spa one day and you get to use all the spa pools, saunas, etc for the whole day until 8 pm. included in your treatment price. You are in for a treat!

We took the 4 day January getaway to St. Thomas - Trip was awesome

We had 1 formal night, 2 elegant casual and 1 casual. Thinking of also going on the 4 day Bahamas. Have you seen or anyone see good prices?

Dave

Hey Dave -- I just booked the 4 nighter in July. You can get insides as low as $925. WE got a deck 4 in-hull balcony for around $1120.

For those of you that have done this before, when QM2 goes from NYC to Princess Cays with just one day at sea, do you know how fast she's going? I imagine the top decks get pretty windy.

We were on 4-day St. Thomas cruise from Ft. Lauderdale in January in a Princess Suite. Black and White night was the formal night, other nights were dressy casual (jackets optional for men, about half wore them in the grill). Princess Grill does have ala carte options, but they take longer to prepare.

Best perks were the welcome package of sparkling wine, strawberries and fresh fruit. Balcony is awesome. Had tea in both the exclusive Queen's Lounge and the public Queen's Room (which did have string quartet when we were there) and enjoyed both.

Golden Lion Pub lunch was fun. If you are at all interested in the history of ocean liners you will find the "Maritime Quest" exhibits that are all over the ship worth more than a passing glance. The "Stars Aboard" gallery of famous past guests of Cunard located near Illuminations was one of our favorites.

Have a great trip!

...and here I was coming to this board to ask the very same questions!

My only concern with the 4-day cruises is that I'll enjoy myself so much that I'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming off of that ship :)

I'd say that's a valid concern!! I've been on the QM2 3 times and have had to be dragged off kicking and screaming every time! :D

There is so much to enjoy on this ship that I STILL haven't been to the planetarium (gasp!) (And one of my trips was a 14-nighter!)

My favorite places are the Canyon Ranch Spa, relaxing in a deck chair, and evening cocktails in the Commodore Club. There's a neat little burger grill on Deck 12 that is open during good weather (I always enjoy dining al fresco). Not sure if it will be open on a 4-night trip (I too was on the January trip but didn't make it over to the grill).

You'll definitely have to pick and choose what to see/do, but hey -- you'll just have the perfect excuse to go back for another cruise :) Check out some of the great threads on this board (I think there's one called "What's not to miss?") for ideas.

Short cruises are a great way to become acquainted with a ship or line, and a good occasion to splurge on an expensive cabin that might be too expensive for a longer cruise. Dinner in the grills, in my experience (4-day cruise in January) was always a semi-formal affair. Many people wore jackets even on casual nights.

Not to miss: the spa pool (heavenly). Tea in the Queens Grill Lounge (be there early, i.e. when they start serving). Walking all the way around the deck promenade, especially at night when cruising in open waters. Having a drink at the Commodore Club (preferably during the daytime so you can enjoy the view). Viewing a sailaway from the observation deck (I believe it's on deck 12 forward) so you can hear the horn trumpet your departure. Ordering free caviar as an appetizer every evening for dinner. Swimming in the covered pool (Pavilion) in high seas when the water is sloshing (yippeee!) Watching a show in the Royal Court Theatre (choose carefully, though, since some shows are far better than others). Staying on board while the ship is in port and having the QM2 all to yourselves (believe me, with only 4 days to enjoy it you won't ever get the urge to disembark).

Archived