Need help with documentation info

mousetravel

PLease help...We are planning a cruise and I need some info. Do we need special letter from other parent when traveling with child? Trying to find some answers to this. As of my situation, it will be impossible to provide this type of letter. I've been on previous cruise and did not need that. But this will be the first time to MExico and wondered if they had different rules. What do you do when you can't provide a letter (in a case of a dead-beat father that is no where to be found). Thanks for any help.

Mexico has cracked down and is much more stringent about requiring documentation for children traveling with only one of two parents. While not EVERYONE will get asked, most will. I would not travel to Mexico without such documentation.

Requirements vary from state to state as to what you need to do to get legal proof that you have sole custody of your child. Consult your attorney as to what you need to do to get documentation. It is up to you as to whether you get something "just for this trip" or if you get something more permenent.

It is not a bad idea to get this taken care of "once and for all" - there are situations that may arise in the future as to medical care, other travel, and inheritance - being legally named your child's sole legal guardian could be invaluable in those situations as well.

Just so you know, I've cruised alone with my twins to Mexico on Princess twince and once on Carnival and I've never been asked for documentation (I know that Princess specifically does NOT require it. I'm not sure about Carnival). I agree that it is best to have it, but I would not let it stop me from taking a cruise. It could be a real problem if you end up needing to take an emergecny flight in or out of Mexico, because on flights they DO require the documentation.

There have been other discussions about this on the family board - you might skim through or do a search and see what others have done in your situation.

Best,

Mia

Mouse, don't take any chances with this. I know there have been others who were asked for this information.....it's a crapshoot and you can be denied boarding, never mind the possibility of problems with the Mexican authorities. That being said, get in touch with your travel agent; he/she should be knowledgeable about the requirements for your situation.

I just returned from the Mex Riv with my six year old son. When we arrived at the port, after examing our passports, the customs agent looked and me and asked "Do you mind if I ask where is the father?" I told him dad was home taking care of the grandparents and I had a notorized letter of permission from him. The agent didn't want to see the letter, but I was glad to have it just the same.

I agree you should talk to your attorney and get something documented now. Then you will always have it, and won't have to think about it any more!!

Archived