Jet Ski "Rules" in Bahamas

amyellen

What are the rules for operating jet skis/waverunners in the Bahamas? :confused: Can my 17- and 15- year old operate a jet ski with a boating license? Or, should we just "punt" the jet ski notion and snorkel or parasail? All suggestions are appreciated!

What are the rules for operating jet skis/waverunners in the Bahamas? :confused: Can my 17- and 15- year old operate a jet ski with a boating license? Or, should we just "punt" the jet ski notion and snorkel or parasail? All suggestions are appreciated!

They are supposed to ask for a drivers license, but some don't really care and will take your money.

But be aware.. there are far too many vehicles in the water and too close to the beach.. there are accidents nearly every day.. some deadly.

If your kids aren't pro's at operating a jet ski.. I wouldn't start here.

• 1 month later...

When visitng Paraside beach a few years ago, I asked a "local" about renting a waverunner for my twin sons and how old they had to be. He replied with 16 years of age. I said, OK thanks and walked away. He asked how old my sons were, I said, "Only 14"...He said, "Close enough and rented us one".

My sons are not pros but were experienced riders, so I agree with scubagirrl's advice and don't have them 'learn' in the Bahamas.

When visitng Paraside beach a few years ago, I asked a "local" about renting a waverunner for my twin sons and how old they had to be. He replied with 16 years of age. I said, OK thanks and walked away. He asked how old my sons were, I said, "Only 14"...He said, "Close enough and rented us one".

My sons are not pros but were experienced riders, so I agree with scubagirrl's advice and don't have them 'learn' in the Bahamas.

There have been several serious and deadly accidents in the last few years that has led to stricter rules. Yes, you may find a vendor willing to rent, but honestly. I wouldn't let my teen on one of those things. There' are many of them in the water at the same time and there are plenty of close call. These machines can be deadly if used incorrectly or in a crowded area.

Find something else to do.

Archived