Do You Just Enjoy Cruises or Do You Just Worry?

Iamboatman

There are so many different types of cruisers. There are the planners, the worriers, the "Heck, I'm on a cruise. What else matters?", the "I pack 2 weeks before the cruise", etc. types.

I tend to pack the day before, figure if I have a credit card I can pick up whatever I may have forgotten or need, BUT I also read and plan what I am going to do in each port (except the Caribbean). That planning used to drive my DW crazy, but now she enjoys the relative seamlessness of the results. That said, I'm not one to worry if my Glenfiddich is in my suite or if the head of the bed faces forward or aft or even what time I am going to dinner (except if it is too early).

What about you other Seabourners?

I spreadsheet it. My spreadsheet has my packing list and ports and tours I plan for each port. Back when I started cruising it was toss some clothes and one camera in a bag and I was ready. The more laptops/iPods/Camera things the more a list is important. :rolleyes:

Of all the cruiselines to "not" worry about, it's SB!!

I tend to plan what I'm gonna pack, but usually wait until the day before, too, to do so. I'll also read up on what excursions are available, but usually not decide until on the ship, at the last minute, to actually decide what I "will" do.

On any cruise, and especially SB, I go to relax! And it's really easier to do just that on SB!

Paul :D

"What...me worry?" ;)

As far as packing I usually wing-it, but I have to make sure all travel arragements are in order and confirmed. I go over dates, times, etc numerous times. If I am staying somewhere or cruising on a certain line for the first time, I do tend to obsess about how it's going to be, but once I am there all that energy fades away and I am fine.

Our cruise enjoyment starts with the decision-making (and check-writing! ...Well, not so much). But from the day we mentally 'sign on' to making a commitment, it's a big part of the pleasure ---- to just have that thought in mind, "We're goin'!!" And especially when that part of the process takes place through a Midwest winter.....

All packing falls to moi (who never really wants to admit that her control-freak nature makes it just as well), and it'll take place in the week or so before departure (with some worry over weight allowances).

When does the fun really start??? The moment we have the car headed out of the driveway and know we're on our way - to a sojurn of luxe, carefree living for the next two weeks-plus!

OKAY...LOL people...Don and I pack 2 to 3 weeks in advance...part of that is excitement..part, get it over with. The only draw back..at our age, we can't remember if we packed some of the small items...and double pack a few things. The other draw back..an event sometimes presents itself where an item or two would be nice to wear...such problems..ha!

Since my profession requires that I be a “sweat the details” kind of guy, this translates quite well to my vacation planning. By meticulous planning and doing things in stages, this eliminates the stress of the last minute rush and fear of forgetting to do something really important. So, 330 days before my flights, I am on the internet checking out the refundable or minimum cancellation fee excursion business class fares of any airline and full-fare coach fares (to upgrade to business class with miles) on my preferred FF airline, if they fly to that destination. After analyzing the costs, routing and layover times, I select my flights and purchase them. My TA has it set up with the reservations system to automatically email me when there are any flight changes so I adjust my plans, if necessary.

Next, I investigate and book my pre and post, if required, cruise hotels. I always book the night before my outbound flight at the Embassy Suites LAX hotel so I can have a little more sleep before that long day and not have to worry about a jackknifed tanker truck aflame on the freeway blocking both ways and wondering how I am going to get to the airport in time for my flight.

About a week before Miss Anita tells me when Mr. DHL will ring my doorbell to collect my luggage for delivery to my Seabourn Yacht, I review my packing list and send all dry cleaning and professional laundry to the cleaners. I then sort my clothes to be washed and fire up my Maytag to get that and the fluff and folding over with. I then do the final staging where in a spare bedroom I hang on the left side of the closet everything that will hang in my suite and on the left side of the bed everything else that will go into bag #1 according to my detailed packing list for the cruise. Ditto for the items on the right side of the closet and bed for bag #2. The day before the DHL man arrives, each bag is packed accordingly. Electronic gear, travel documentation and pre cruse essentials are set aside and then packed in my carryon the day I leave home for the airport hotel.

With documents, tickets and itineraries in hand / carryon, I am READY to enjoy my Seabourn sojourn! :) :D

PeaSea8ch

That looks like my plan. My theory is anything that can be done ahead of time - do it. I start a list of everything I willl take and add from time to time. Airline was done 1 year before. I start a calendar to remind me to do certain things ( stop mail, newspapers, inform credit card, etc.)

My dear wife is a different story. Her idea of long term is noon.:D

Then, I enjoy the cruise.

Lefty Bob

I feel so much better now. I thought I was the only person who planned trips on spreadsheets and had packing checklists and staging areas. What a relief!!!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to our first Seabourn cruise this August (4 weeks in the Med).

I pack 2 weeks ahead at least !! I will start packing tomorrow . I will start unpacking next week and re-packing up until I go to Charlotte to the Holiday Inn for an overnight before the flight out pre-cruise . I overpack and will probably bring 8 pair of shoes for a 7 day cruise . I always forget something and never wear all that I bring :o The worst thing I ever forgot was to pack toothpaste for a 21 day Holland America trip . The ship had one tube left but I thought it was too expensive so I opted to buy some In port ... NEVER found any and went back the next day and that tube was gone :( Some nice CC'ers loaned me a very small amount from one that they had and I made that suffice for the duration of the voyage (the ship never got any ).

....except for the notice from the IRS I got in the mail today saying I owe them $11,000. I kid you not. I may be working in the engine room on my next Seabourn cruise, not luxuriating in a cabin...

Other than that.....no worries at all. I have a packing list a mile long, take the day off from work the same day as I leave (going to the Caribbean from Los Angeles airport, the planes always leave around midnight or so), and spend the day packing and taking care of things. It works out just great.

P.S. Wish me luck with Uncle Sam, will you?

Jane :o

I´m still trying to lose some kilo´s from our January Legend cruise, before I will be able to decide what clothes to bring! But I don´t worry, I have bigger clothes too!

Marja, why don't you join me for some deck walking the first few days of the crossing while it is still warm outside? Any unwanted kilos will simply evaporate right off of you!

I overpack and will probably bring 8 pair of shoes for a 7 day cruise . I always forget something and never wear all that I bring :o

I used to always pack more than I wear on the cruise; now, current airline baggage restrictions have forced me to sharpen my keyboard when I generate my packing list for a given cruise. My TAs, whom I have sailed with, tease me by saying "we know you like to be a fashion plate but you have to cut back on what you take to the ship!" The best way to motivate me to acomplish that is to use the Seabourn Valet luggage service so each of my 2 shipped bags do not weigh an ounce over 50 pounds.

....except for the notice from the IRS I got in the mail today saying I owe them $11,000. I kid you not. I may be working in the engine room on my next Seabourn cruise, not luxuriating in a cabin...

Wish me luck with Uncle Sam, will you?

Bummer! :eek: Rowing with the slaves below decks is not fun. Perhaps your CC pals sailing with your can smuggle some signature Seabourn entrees from the above decks restaurant. Good luck with Uncle Sam and, I hope, the Franchise Tax Board (State taxing authority for non-CA residents) doesn't catch wind of this!

Jane :o

IF I told you once, I told you a thousand times the IRS is coming after you Ebayers.... :D

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/24/EBAY.TMP

CC like the IRS comes after everybody.... :eek:

Archipelago, I bet the HAL kitchen would have had Baking Soda... :) Plus there is normally a "crew store" on ships and I would bet they had it, LOL the brand you may have never heard of before...... :D

John III

The toothpaste story sounds like "penny wise, pound foolish" (is that the saying?). I mean being on such an expensive cruise! Just kidding.

Paul

I do walk my rounds all the time, but at different times than you. And even if the weather is cold. But don´t worry, we will have warm weather all the way!

I didnt' realize so many Seabourners spend so much time on pre-cruise rituals. I've become exhausted just thinking about all the effort put in by some of the posters.

I guess it is all just part of the "fun" which extends the joys of a cruise by having an extended pre-cruise.

OK, now how many of you long pre-cruise planning and packing types actually print out your photos and find places for the things you purchased on your cruises when you return...or do they sit in the camera/closet for a while?

i do not have to worry about packing my mom likes to do that at home but i was wondering if the stewardess will pack for us at the end of the cruise so my mom won't have to miss any activities from lorneross

Packing/unpacking is not a service that the stewardesses perform. There is plenty of time for packing. If it's a sea day, I usually pack and listen to the enrichment lecture in my suite at the same time. Then I am ready for Trivia.

I am sure that with the two of you, it won't take too long; it's usually easier on disembarkation, especially if you are 'seasoned' to cruising. Four hands can make light work of that task.

I am sure that with the two of you, it won't take too long; it's usually easier on disembarkation, especially if you are 'seasoned' to cruising. Four hands can make light work of that task.

Hi Jane

We are missing you already! Is there not a Party for us all to attend soon???

Kathryn & Brian

Eric ,

I develop my pics as soon as possible after I arrive home . I look at them and put away in a drawer forever never to look at again . I generally don't buy anything but I did buy a sheep in Ushuaia Argentina. I plan to let that be my representative sometime at one of Martita B's critter parties at the Sky Bar. He's totally awesome !!! I may bring him on this one ! Waterford and Jackie let's bring a critter for our own critter party at the Sky Bar !!!!!!!!! We'll have a critter pageant and let the guests vote on the most likeable critter !!!:p

Hi Jane

We are missing you already! Is there not a Party for us all to attend soon???

Kathryn & Brian

Thanks, I sure wish there was! Your next cruise is closer than mine, however.

I think this cruise was my all-time favorite...so far.

I had a real come-uppance the other night (2 days after disembarking). I went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant and kept looking for the waiter to appear with freshly grated parmesan. I had to be told it was on the table in a (gasp!) metal container. Sigh.

Normally we enjoy our cruises and we worry about the travel arrangements, luggage, delays etc.

I do the packing usually one day before we leave, but I start to sort out our clothes like a week before we leave.

I like to take pictures a lot, store them in my computer, but still print most of them and make nice albums. I would say I´m quite organized in things like that or even in general. The day before disembarkation I always pack in the late afternoon. Once I made a bad mistake. . . . . I was packing while I was supposed to play golf. . . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi jane you wrote that the stewardess won't pack for us we are in the owner's suite will the butler pack for us? from lorneross

There is no butler service for the Owner's Suite. But then, I have not stayed in one of them. The stewardesses take very good care of us, but packing seems above and beyond their duties. it would never occur to me to ask anyone to handle all my dirty bits and bobs. They work very hard as it is. The day before disembarkation, there is a lot of pre-embarkation organization that must be done for the new passengers.

Hope this helps.

Archived