Post Cruise In New York through NCL

firecapt25

I have tried now for two weeks to book a post cruise hotel in New York but my personnal cruise consultant states that the people who handle the land part of cruise haven't got back with her.

Has any one else had this problem going on the Spirit in October 07.

DH and I did one of the cruise out of NY in October 06. I arranged our Post-cruise stay on my own. Once we got our luggage, we got in the cab line and went to our hotel. We stayed at the Gershwin Hotel, very funky, around the corner from the Museum of Sex and decorated in an Andy Warhol theme. It has an older boiler so there can be hot water issues. However, extremely well located, 7 blocks from the Empire State Building, and very reasonable, has everything from hostel accommodations to suites. No real hotel services, but I don't need those things. Since the room would not be available until the afternoon, we had the hotel lock up our luggage and we set off to the Empire State Building. We also roamed the area near our hotel, Madison Square Park, the Flatiron building and other sites of interest. That night we ate at Mesa Grill. The next day we got one of those 48 hour hop-on/hop off bus tickets for both the downtown & uptown loop (there is both CitySights NY and Greyline, Greyline has both inside & upper deck seating, CitySights only has upperdeck open seating). We went to the World Trade Center Site, St. Paul's Chapel, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller Center and other sites. That night we had dinner at Lupa (one of the best meals of my life). The next day we went out to Ellis Island (our Hop-on/Hop off bus package included this ferry ride & admission). The same ferry also stops at Liberty Island and gives you great views of the Statue of Liberty. Afterwards we took the uptown loop for views of Central Park & Harlem, got off in the theater district, ate at Carnegie Deli, hopped back on and went up to the Top of the Rock for night time views of NY. On our final day after having the hotel lock up our luggage after we checked out (really just the morning to early PM) we strolled Greenwich Village and had NY Pizza at John's of Bleeker Street. Then we grabbed a cab back to the airport and headed home. I know that this was a lot less expensive than doing it through NCL. Of course, you may want fancier digs and more hotel services and even with that, I believe you can do NY much less expensively by making your own arrangements. I figured the money we saved paid for our meals at Mesa Grill and Lupa. NY is a great city and you should not miss it.

Archived