San Francisco Tour Guides

Lightsluvr

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but the search function on CC is just not working...

Does anyone have any good experiences with private/small tour guides for San Francisco. I did an online search, and the open-top busses look like fun. We'll probably do the Alcatraz tour on our own. Any other suggestions to see the "best of SF" in a few hours?

Thanks.

LL

A few years ago, I took a SF city tour on Gray Line (http://sanfranciscosightseeing.com/sightseeing.cfm) before a cruise. It was fantabulous.

Here are my pictures from this tour. The Pier 39 stuff was done independently (It is close to the Tour pickup point).

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcNmTNo5csmer&notag=1

I hope this helps.

:D

A few years ago, I took a SF city tour on Gray Line (http://sanfranciscosightseeing.com/sightseeing.cfm) before a cruise. It was fantabulous.

Here are my pictures from this tour. The Pier 39 stuff was done independently (It is close to the Tour pickup point).

I hope this helps.

The pictures were great, and the tour looks like what we want to do... Hopefully in early May it won't be too cool to ride on the upper deck of the bus. I hate trying to shoot pictures through glass. Did the tour make frequent stops for photo ops?

Thanks.

LL

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the pictures, we will be in SF for 1 day on our cruise, we are planning on going to alcatraz in the morning and then doing a couple of things the kids will enjoy, Gherridelli choc, the wharf, lombard st and hopefully a ride on the tram.

Anything else you would recommend??:D

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you are still looking....One of my all time favorite things to do in SF which I recommend to everyone is taking an antique fire engine tour of the city.You actually sit on top of the engine on benches w/seat belts and firemen's coats. It is TOOOOO fun !! Everyone loves it !! Young or old. The couple who own it are real characters. I personally have been three times.Check it out at: www.fireenginetours.com From there you will be directed to their reservation site ( A MUST) if you wish to take this tour. It goes all over SF, thru the Presidio, over GG bridge, thru Sausalito, stops for a photo op with the bridge in the background, then back again. You catch it very near Ghiradeli Square. I think it only holds about 12 people. MG

I don't know if you are still looking....One of my all time favorite things to do in SF which I recommend to everyone is taking an antique fire engine tour of the city.You actually sit on top of the engine on benches w/seat belts and firemen's coats. It is TOOOOO fun !! Everyone loves it !! Young or old. The couple who own it are real characters. I personally have been three times.Check it out at: www.fireenginetours.com From there you will be directed to their reservation site ( A MUST) if you wish to take this tour. It goes all over SF, thru the Presidio, over GG bridge, thru Sausalito, stops for a photo op with the bridge in the background, then back again. You catch it very near Ghiradeli Square. I think it only holds about 12 people. MG

I have actually taken this tour and it's a real hoot!! Great photo ops in all the gear. It does get pretty cool, especially on the bridge but I'd say it's all good fun!!

As for other tours, we go to SF quite often so don't take tours but one you'll see in the books and I highly recommend you DON"T TAKE is a Nob Hill walking tour - certainly not what it's advertised to be.

• 5 months later...

My wife and I live in San Francisco suburbia and noted this cruise departing SF, very convenient. We have previously been thorugh the Canal and to these ports but we enjoy Celebrity and will enjhoy visiting them again. don't know how to get on the roll call to have a Celebrity Connections party. Has anyone found a Cartagena private tour operator. We took the Fortress and Monastary tour before and enjoyed it and would like to find something else that is intersting and safe. Advice and suggestions appreciated.

Stan

You probably meant it, but don't forget Pier 39 when you visit the wharf area, the kids will really like it. Also, near Ghiradelli I believe there is an exhibit of both the Jeremiah O'Brien (a totally restored WWII Liberty ship) and the Pampanito (a WWII submarine), both are fun and a great fill in if you have the time.

I'm glad to hear the good reviews of the fire truck tour - we'll be taking it in September!

We did a walking tour of Chinatown in May that was fascinating. The company offering the tour is Wok Wiz: www.wokwiz.com. Our guide took us through several of the alleyways and taught us quite a bit about the Chinese culture in SF. The tour ended with a delicious lunch. I highly recommend it.

Several years ago we did the Chinatown walking tour with Shirly Fong-Torres. Wonderefull! Recently we tood The Tower Bus 11 hour tour to Monterry, Carmel, & the 17 Mile Drive. Again, wonderful BUT 1 1/2 hours at the aquareiam is a waste. It deserves a full day. Use the time to explore the area.

Archived