Single mom cruising with 2 children??

C-foxatsea

Please tell me if I am crazy to consider taking my 8 year-old and 10 year-old on a cruise by myself. I am going on my first cruise in April without my kids, but really want to do this with them. I am divorced, and have been vacationing with them the last few years with no problem, but I am getting some flack from friends who think I am nuts to consider this big of a vacation with just me to supervise. I think I can handle it, but I would love to hear from some experienced cruisers out there who may something I don't about this subject!!! Thanks for any input! :confused:

You can do this vacation and don't let any nay sayers tell you otherwise. In fact, you may even get some much deserved time for yourself if the kids head to Adventure Ocean. Enjoy the spa or just enjoy lounging around answering to no one!

I think it's extremely easy to supervise your children on a ship with or without an extra set of eyes (DH) watching. There are lots of fun things to do as a family. We stick with ship excursions when we travel with our kids.

Sounds like those you've told about the cruise may just be jealous! Have a fantastic time!

A cruise is a great trip to take as a single parent. I took my kids on one by myself when they were 2 and 6. The Camp, which they love, meant that I had a little "time off." This wasn't our first cruise, though, so they knew what to expect, I knew what to expect, and my comfort level was pretty high. Your kids are older, though, so I say, don't even hesitate. Go for it!

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Please tell me if I am crazy to consider taking my 8 year-old and 10 year-old on a cruise by myself. :confused:

I don't think it would be a problem at all. I think I could cruise alone with my two kids who are much younger than that. Cruises are so easy and relaxed. Your kids will love the kid programs. If you do excursions, you might do cruise line excursions rather than booking your own - just to take that little piece of the equation out of your hands. Do your kids like to dress up? Do they do fine with long-ish dinners? If not, practice before you go. For me, that would be the most stressful part if I were alone. I think you'll have a better time on your cruise without them, but I think the cruise with them will be fun, in a different way, since you'll be able to see things through their eyes.

Go and have a blast with your kids. They'll remember the trip forever!

Add me to the list of single moms who think cruising is the best way to go. I've taken my twin toddlers on three so far. Not only that, but my mom used to take my sister and I on cruises when we were growing up, so I know from both sides it's the funnest, and I think, most secure vacation you can do together.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Oh Puhlease! Tell those naysayers to stick it. I am a MARRIED mom who still cruises with JUST my kids (ages 2 and 7), I have left the hubby at HOME.

Just remember to get a notarized form from the ex giving you permission to travel with the kids out of the country.

And you will ALSO need a notarized form from the ex, saying that you are allowed to get the kids passports.

The only comment I have ever heard that gives me pause is...what if I get sick while I am out of the country, who takes care of the kids then? But that hasn't stopped us.

If you are really unsure, take a friend with kids and tell her to leave the hubby at home. ;) :p I am working on one of those types of cruises too. :D I have 3 friends and we all have 2 kids each, we want to travel together and the cruise seems the best way to do it.

The only comment I have ever heard that gives me pause is...what if I get sick while I am out of the country, who takes care of the kids then? .

That is the one thing that strikes fear in me too! I worry that I'll strain my back or something and not be able to take care of the girls, so I bring a bottle of vicodin, but truth is, I'm sure the staff would do everything to make it work if anything happened.

Best,

Mia

Thank you for the tip on the notarized form....but where do I get this? Do I just come up with a form saying I am taking my kids on vacation and get that notarized, or is there a form out there for just this reason???

The letter has to be from their dad. Here's a sample:

http://www.singleparenttravel.net/Writing/Documentation/NotarizedLetter.htm

On our upcoming cruise on Liberty of the Seas, we have a single DAD in our role call who is taking his THREE kids, aged 8, 9 & 10. He's cruised with them many times and loves it! Also, remember that if they are enrolled in the kids' program, then you won't be with them 24/7. There will be downtime that will be "just for you time".;)

I have been cruising solo with my son (now 6) for the past three years. He has been on eight cruises, six of which have been just the two of us.

We both have a ball. As a single parent, you meet many other parents thru the kids program. So you will have an instant group of friends. My son has a blast in the kids program. We spend time together too.

The first day on board we go exploring the ship. Then to the video arcade to get it out of his system (he doesn't ask to go again). Then sign up for the kids program. Have some lunch. Enjoy the sailaway party. Even the lifeboat drill is more fun with him.

For the entire trip, the crew just radiates when they see little kids. They love to talk to them and play with them. They love to help them get their ice cream. Every cruise line it is the same thing- they just bend over backwards. I could go on and on- but it is the best, safest, most fun way to travel as a single parent.

I love it and so does my son! Both my kids have said "My idea of heaven is cruising".

My boss is the single father of three (12, 10, 8 YOs) and vacations with them regularly (the old fashioned road trips, trips that require flying, and one AK cruise - he's not really a warm weather kind of guy :) ) He's a great dad and has good kids and they all have a great time together. Go for it!

Thanks for posting this thread, I was a little nervous too. I'm a single mom of 3 DDs (14, 12 and 10.) We're going on a 5 night Western Carribean on March 31.

This is the first time cruising for all of us. But after reading all the great information on these boards and other cruise websites I am SOOO excited and can't wait to get there! I've done a LOT of research on these sites and the more I find out the more I feel like this will be an awesome trip.

Good luck and have fun on your upcoming cruise!

On Celebrity, while they wanted the notorized form for my daughter's friend (her parents not with us), they didn't need the one from dd's dad.

Said it was for air travel. Glad someone told us before he went through all the trouble of overnighting the notarized form...not....

Archived