Anchorage, Help w Things to Do

aptosed

Have 1 1/2 days in Anchorage prior to land tour (Denali and Copper River). Suggestions appreciated for seeing the town and/or area. Staying at Captain Cook. We are not looking for flight tours as we have those scheduled in Skagway and Juneau.

As always, thanks for your help. Did I mention that we are leaving tomorrow?

Sailing on the Coral Princess 8/7

Ed

I would strongly suggest you rent a car. There is far more to Anchorage touring than downtown. But do stop at the Visitor center- pick up their guide book- they have a good walking tour map. There is the Coastal trail for biking, but plenty more with a drive- Eagle River nature Center- a quick stop at Eklutna Spirt house tours (nothing similar elsewhere on your tour or cruise) nice drive south along the Arm with frequent stops?? Plenty to occupy your time. :) choose carefully for your intersts. Get ideas- http://www.anchorage.net

Thanks for your help. This is first time in Alaska and first cruise for us although, we are very experienced travelers. Many on these boards have been quite helpful.

We are out of the door this afternoon.

ed

I just flew home from Anchorage last night....Anchorage has some great sights! I wish I had more time to explore however I was still walking around at 11pm and it was light out. I still can't get over that.

My recommendations would be to go to the museum. The lower floor has many paintings and the upstairs has displays of different eras in Alaskan history. I was on a limited timeline and only had 75 minutes there but could have easily spent another hour exploring the upstairs display.

Visit the Hilton even if you are not staying there. In the lobby there are two stuffed bears which really put into perspective just how large the bears are. Then take the elevator to floor 15 to the 'Top of the World' restaurant and go outside on the patio (staff is very friendly and let you do this). You can see forever.

There is also a dinner tour offered by Grayline and other tour operators. Hilton has a Grayline tourdesk in the Lobby. (Princess also offers a similar tour) You get a tour of the city including the museum then dinner (fabulous) at the Sourdough Mining Company. Great dinner and the venue will have you turning your head so many times trying to take in all the items on the wall, floor, and the fan system (a complicated propeller system). Afterwards, you walk across the street to the Wildberry Choclate Factory and well, shop. The factory has a chocolate waterfall. There are reindeers nearby.

Near the train station on 1st there is an Ulu Factory. It was neat seeing these knives made. The prices were the same as in the stores on 4th and 5th.

We went to the Alaskan Zoo but I would recommend taking the 2pm shuttle or renting a car as the cab fare made this an expensive tour. However, I'm not impressed with this zoo as some of the animal's living environments were rather small and lacked any stimulation. If you have been to the zoo in San Diego, Seattle or the National Zoo, you will be disappointed.

Have fun!

Lisa

Lisa, my thanks to you.

Now I am really close to being out the door. We are staying near the San Francisco airport tonight and flying out in the morning for Anchorage. Hope all of your trip was wonderful.

ed

Archived