Interesting News on Oceania

Iamboatman

It seems that Oceania has just sold its controlling interest to a private equity group. I thought the following quote from its CEO and one of its founders was very interesting in light of some recent posts here:

"With the financial strength of Apollo, Oceania now has the wherewithal to grow the company and optimize its potential," Del Rio told Travel Pulse Daily. "The cruise industry is a capital intensive business -- ships cost hundreds of millions of dollars and take years to build -- so only the most well financed companies can accomplish that. Now, Oceania stands side-by-side with other major cruise lines, with the ability to order new ships."

It is a good thing that Seabourn is in a "happy place"!:D

It seems that Oceania has just sold its controlling interest to a private equity group. I thought the following quote from its CEO and one of its founders was very interesting in light of some recent posts here:

this is just IMHO, but I see a couple more R-Ships being ordered. :) Again IMHO, this size ship fits into many markets.

The R ships are very popular. Now Oceania, Celebrity and Princess have them. All have come back with strong lines.

The Celebrity purchase was interesting because they are "upscaling" them as when they were originally...and then some. I think only the Tahitian and Royal Princess are being kept at a mass-market level.

However, for new builds I think their downside is the size of the cabins. They are generally quite small for a luxury product.

Unfortunately, I have not. I have seen the ships and have clients who have sailed on them both as Renaissance and as Oceania. Pretty much across the board the comments are the ships are very nice with small cabins and upscale public spaces. The feeling is similar to Celebrity, but with possibly a little less on the service/customer service side. I figure this is probably fairly accurate because Oceania really doesn't pitch itself as "luxury", but more "upscale".

The change in control may, however, change its focus to "more upscale". I really don't have a clue. But I would like to try Oceania.

Hi, all. I'm new to this board -- getting ready to sail on my first-ever Seabourn cruise. Very excited...have heard so many great things.

Did want to chime in re the R Ships. They are, IMHO (and I cruise, er, A LOT) the nicest ships afloat, aside from the fact that, as Iamboatman observed, cabins are small (book early and go for, at the very least, a B category suite) and they don't handle rough water well. Other than that? Lovely. Perfect size.

It looks like Seabourn's ships might be similar in size (not referring to design, features or amenities) though handling a smaller capacity of passeners. To my mind -- it's the best of all possible cruising worlds. Small enough to be cozy and welcoming, big enough to have a nice spa, pool deck, restaurant variety.

But the cabins are too small. Way too small for an upscale market. Which makes sense that Seabourn's planned pax capacity is lower...gives the line more room for more spacious accommodations.

I had heard that Celebrity planned to maintain its set-seating regulations even with its two new R class ships. Frankly? Big mistake. But then again, I don't know everything, LOL.

Tahitian, I believe, is pretty much as it was; a smaller Princess version. I sailed on that ship (and also on Regent's Paul Gauguin) five years ago or so; lovely, but mass market. Paul Gauguin on the other hand...sublime.

Our Melissa Baldwin (senior editor at Cruise Critic) is onboard Tahitian Princess as we speak (bum job, eh?) -- and I look forward to her report. We'll be launching a new review in mid-March.

Oceania's greatest strength is, what seems to me (and as a first timer I just don't know yet about Seabourn) is the same as Seabourn's (and Crystal's, frankly; been on their ships a half dozen times): nice ambience, fantastic crew, great food. Interesting ports.

I thank you all in advance for whetting my appetite; a review of Seabourn Legend will appear sometime in March. Any questions? Ask away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Carolyn

The R ships are very popular. Now Oceania, Celebrity and Princess have them. All have come back with strong lines.

The Celebrity purchase was interesting because they are "upscaling" them as when they were originally...and then some. I think only the Tahitian and Royal Princess are being kept at a mass-market level.

However, for new builds I think their downside is the size of the cabins. They are generally quite small for a luxury product.

I thank you all in advance for whetting my appetite; a review of Seabourn Legend will appear sometime in March. Any questions? Ask away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Well, the obvious...

Which Legend sailing are you going to be on? ;) :)

Paul

who can't wait to read Carolyn's virgin review!!! :D

I'm forced to depart the gloomy, soggy, grim Northeast for a trip to St. Thomas (a one night pre cruise stay) and then board Legend on Sunday. If I had to flap my wings to help get there faster...well I believe I'd do just that :)

Carolyn

Well, the obvious...

Which Legend sailing are you going to be on? ;) :)

Paul

who can't wait to read Carolyn's virgin review!!! :D

I'm forced to depart the gloomy, soggy, grim Northeast for a trip to St. Thomas (a one night pre cruise stay) and then board Legend on Sunday. If I had to flap my wings to help get there faster...well I believe I'd do just that :)

Carolyn

Save some champagne for me, as Ill be onboard in 4 weeks!

Host Dan

Host Dan, you have no worries at all about the champagne supply. It's the one thing in the world I won't touch (rum? sure, vodka, love it, wine, beer, scotch, even gin if pressed, all fab). I'm allergic. At our wedding reception the bar stewards were instructed to give the bride chardonnay.

I'm so allergic and let's just leave that...there. But I may consume Blackbird's quotient of snails; love 'em. Maybe we can swap.

I'm staying tomorrow at a new inn (in the Hotel 1829 neighborhood, the historic part, in downtown); I've done 1829 before, great promise then, poor execution. But the ambience is great, especially if you don't really care about the beach (sacrilege! now you know more about me than most). Coming back, I've booked in at the Marriott. Frankly, if I had more than a night either way I'd go to Caneel Bay; value for money, a much nicer scenario than the Westin on St. John. I'll let you know about the new inn -- I like the idea. I'd stayed at Blackbeard's (not Bluebeards, much more upscale), which is just above, a few times and loved it; alas the owners sold and now it's a museum. I'll be checking the museum out too.

As for the Marriott, doesn't sound exciting. But will admit as a penniless freelance cruise journalist living in St. Thomas who was and is fascinated by ships -- I loved to spend the occasional afternoon at the pool there (okay I had a friend who let me in), watching the ships go by from its rocky perch. Heaven.

So I'm kinda' looking forward to the end, too.

Carolyn

Save some champagne for me, as Ill be onboard in 4 weeks!

Host Dan

While the sale of Windstar by Carnival Corp., parent of Seabourn, was a shock-but-not, it did conform to Micky Arison's stated philosophy that small ship lines are irrelevant (I paraphrase). Swan Hellenic's gone (and it is, for the short time left, lovely), Windstar's sold, industry followers are eyeing Seabourn now. Because it doesn't necessarily "fit".

Of course, at the same time, conventional wisdom says that Carnival Corp. would NOT have ordered a new ship if it was planning to sell.

So there you have it....

Carolyn

"With the financial strength of Apollo, Oceania now has the wherewithal to grow the company and optimize its potential," Del Rio told Travel Pulse Daily. "The cruise industry is a capital intensive business -- ships cost hundreds of millions of dollars and take years to build -- so only the most well financed companies can accomplish that. Now, Oceania stands side-by-side with other major cruise lines, with the ability to order new ships."

It is a good thing that Seabourn is in a "happy place"!:D

LOL, all by my self. But I'm bringing lots of books and, yes, some work from the office.

Thanks, though; this is a great board and I've loved feeling connected to y'all.

Carolyn

With the downpours we had last night and this morning I hope your flight leaves on or close to schedule.

Enjoy...and the first round is on me.:D

While the sale of Windstar by Carnival Corp., parent of Seabourn, was a shock-but-not, it did conform to Micky Arison's stated philosophy that small ship lines are irrelevant (I paraphrase). Swan Hellenic's gone (and it is, for the short time left, lovely), Windstar's sold, industry followers are eyeing Seabourn now. Because it doesn't necessarily "fit".

Of course, at the same time, conventional wisdom says that Carnival Corp. would NOT have ordered a new ship if it was planning to sell.

So there you have it....

Carolyn

Alas, Windstar and Swan didn't make money.

Tell ya' what? Let me know after your cruise if your were Mickey would sell off this crown jewel? Somethin' about "prestige" and "profits".

Enjoy.

Alas, Windstar and Swan didn't make money.

Tell ya' what? Let me know after your cruise if your were Mickey would sell off this crown jewel? Somethin' about "prestige" and "profits".

Enjoy.

I'd certainly be interested in Carolyn's "impression" as well! Hard to believe that anyone, after sailing once on SB, would even imagine that kind of experience should be "altered" in any way! :eek:

As fine as the new builds may be, the intimacy of the triplets will always be a strong draw to me. :)

Paul

Paul,

Seabourn is counting on many past passengers being loyal to the triplets...and I think they will be found to be right.

It is going to be interesting, albeit we are going to have to wait and wonder for a couple of years.

Archived