Resistance Museum - Oslo or Copenhagen?

I've read in the Rick Steves' "bible" that Oslo is the best. But then I've read comments on the boards that Copenhagen has top honors.

I would appreciate comments about either venue - especially from people who have been to both.

We have more time in Copenhagen than Oslo, so I was leaning that way - but I do want to spend my time at the best one - especially if one is decidedly better than the other.

Thanks!

We chose the Copenhagen Resistance Museum because we had three days in Copenhagen and only one in Oslo. I can't compare the two, but I can say that the Copenhagen one was excellent.

Don't miss the Resistance Museum in Riga, Latvia. My wife and I both thought that it was fascinating. The residents of Riga suffered under both Hitler and Stalin. The museum was very well done with English included in all displays, many artifacts, photos, etc. It even had a recreation of a gulag. I don’t know who was worse, Hitler or Stalin.

Hi!

I have been to both museums and they are both very interesting in their own way so it's hard to rule either one out. The museum in Copenhagen is located at Churchill Park. The Museum in Oslo is located inside Akershus Castle, which is very interesting in itself as it's 705 years old. The Akershus area has a fortress, a prison museum, a defence museum and a resistance museum and the Christiania village model. So there's a lot to see!

Id' say pick the one depending on what else your plans are in that city. When in Oslo, I wouldn't miss out on Kon-Tiki, Fram and the Viking boats (they are amazing and a lot bigger and more beautiful than the ones in Roskilde) and the Munch Museum. And the whole harbor area around Akershouse is also very nice. Maybe that's enough for one day? :)

Here is some more info:

Frihedsmuseum (Copenhagen)

http://www.natmus.dk/sw3308.asp

Hjemmefrontsmuseet at Akershus (Oslo)

http://www.visitoslo.com/tellus.php?sp=GB&dv_variables=oslopronew/inc/variables&icp=osloproNew/produkt&PR=23_6814_40

I've read in the Rick Steves' "bible" that Oslo is the best. But then I've read comments on the boards that Copenhagen has top honors.

I would appreciate comments about either venue - especially from people who have been to both.

We have more time in Copenhagen than Oslo, so I was leaning that way - but I do want to spend my time at the best one - especially if one is decidedly better than the other.

Thanks!

One other thing to think about in deciding which Resistance Museum to see is what day of the week you will be in each port. On the August 20 Jewel cruise, for example, we will be in Oslo on a Sunday and in Copenhagen on a Monday. Museums in Copenhagen are closed on Mondays, so it appears, at least according to the information provided in Rick Steves' Scandinavia, that the Oslo Resistance Museum is our only option.

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Bobbie, we will be in Copenhagen on a Sunday, so I'll have to check and see if they have tours that day. A guided tour in English is just what we are hoping for.

Happy Travels! :D

Oslo's resistance museum is open from 11:00 am until 5:00 pm on Sundays. I have not been able to confirm whether there are tours on Sundays yet, but since this is the end of their high season I am counting on there being one. Please note that if you are going from Oslo to Copenhagen as we are, that all of the Copenhagen musuems including their resistence museum are closed on Mondays. Rats!

Brahmama

I just realized that I thought you were talking about Oslo and not Copenhagen when I responded to your message about being there on a Sunday. Of course what I said now makes no sense. Rick Steves' book does say that there are guided tours of the Copenhagen Resistance Museum at 2:00 pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays during the summer, but since Bobbie found an English tour at 11:00 am they may add some during the busiest times.

Lynn

Archived