Australia and New Zealand Port Reviews: Sapphire Princess SYD to AUK 2/4/07 - 2/16/07

Aloha Y'all

Hello, I need help in finding the web sites. I must be doing something wrong. Are there three dots between "stories and the rest of the site"? I have tried it with no dots (periods) and with three periods. Please help as I am trying to set up side trips for eight people.

dirk

Hello, I need help in finding the web sites. I must be doing something wrong. Are there three dots between "stories and the rest of the site"? I have tried it with no dots (periods) and with three periods. Please help as I am trying to set up side trips for eight people.

dirk

you should be able to just click on the info and go straight to the post. i tried it again and it worked for me.

Keep trying as it is well worth it. great photos and story.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone' date='

Hi Helen...

We were on the Sapphire Princess for our honeymoon. This was the best vacation ever! Here are links to port reviews with plenty of pictures. Even though this was our first cruise, we knew we were on a special boat. The Sapphire herself was magnificent. (I haven't been able to make a tabblo for her yet, but there other very thorough reviews of her and the Diamond.) Embarkation in Sydney was a snap: no line at all. Debarkation in Auckland wasn't bad. The line was long, but it moved swiftly. We had such a great time that we can't wait to sail with Princess again.

Helen

Sydney http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/shared/14084/c4pkazler7s58qx

Melbourne http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/shared/14085/brwjp21ts89e3c0

Hobart http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/shared/14086/q3up8kw2v5r6xb7

Fiordlands http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/shared/14087/tfq0an1ye63rhk8

Dunedin http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/shared/14088/hgslcyjzupf74b3

Christchurch http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/shared/14089/5c6swdxl37mkauo

Tauranga http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/shared/13936/fzlkm91j8txn7gb[/quote']

What a great review and photos !! We are sailing on the Sapphire on 2/14/08 Auckland-Sydney.

Since I read your review, I have e-mailed Arthur to check on tours.

Do you remember which tour you took with him in Dunedin? Was it #2, Albatross Colony/Penguin Place/Lamach Castle/City Sights ?

Seems like a more expensive but better choice than going on a busload of folks!!:eek:

Did you do a private tour or with a group. We are thinking we will do a group of 6 if Arthur can connect us with someone, as there are just 2 of us.

Thanks for any additional info you can give me. I will check back on this site or you can e-mail me at xdr5tgbvc@sbbmail.com

Just note that you are a CC member.

Thanks again...Jeanne:D

We also used Arthur's Tours in Dunedin. Our group started out with four people and as others on our roll call heard we had Arthur, they joined us - we ended up with 16 people!

Arthur got us a wonderful little mini bus. He is a terrific person that will move heaven and earth to be sure that everyone has the best day possible. One of my favorite photos from our trip was of Arthur in that cute blue and yellow checked vest and tam!

We did the albatross colony, the penquin habitat - but substituted the Speights Brewery tour for the castle. Arthur was all for this request as the Brewery tour ends with BEER! He will also tell you that the castle is more of a manor home.

If he is available, don't hesitate for a second...Arthur is amazing!!

We also used Arthur's Tours in Dunedin. Our group started out with four people and as others on our roll call heard we had Arthur, they joined us - we ended up with 16 people!

Arthur got us a wonderful little mini bus. He is a terrific person that will move heaven and earth to be sure that everyone has the best day possible. One of my favorite photos from our trip was of Arthur in that cute blue and yellow checked vest and tam!

We did the albatross colony, the penquin habitat - but substituted the Speights Brewery tour for the castle. Arthur was all for this request as the Brewery tour ends with BEER! He will also tell you that the castle is more of a manor home.

If he is available, don't hesitate for a second...Arthur is amazing!!

Thanks for the great info !! I saw the picture of Arthur in his tam & vest...that's one of the things that make me want to tour with him.:D

Now, we just have to decide what tour we want to take! So many decisions to make.....How was your Australia/New Zealand cruise. We have been on her before, ans she is one of my favorite ships.

Thanks again, Jeanne

I second the tour suggested.

we hired a car and did this ourselves but we were 5 people.

The drive around otago bay is wonderful, so keep your camera handy.

I would also suggest the brewery (didnt go there) rather than the castle as mentioned, it is more a manor house than a castle.

We didnt go inside the castle itself as we had kids but we did visit the gardens which are wonderful.

If you get time see if you can also get to visit baldwin street, the steepest street in the world.

there is also a nice little tourist shop on the main street around the corner from baldwin street.

this is a great town to visit with lots of varied things to see

We absolutely loved the AUS/NZD cruise! First of all, 12 nights was a real luxury and we loved the relaxation of the sea days. The Sapphire is a great ship with a good staff.

We started in Aukland and stayed at the Hilton. I higly recommend the hotel. Nothing could have been easier than having the bell man just roll our suitcases to the ship.

We used Ian's Mount Classics tour company in Tauranga/Rotorua. A few other CCer's joined us. Our guide was terrific and Ian himself seemed a wonderful gentelman.

We used public transportation in Christchurch to see the Antarctic Centre, the town square and the cable car ride.

You already know about Dunedin. In Melbourne, we took the Princess tour to the Healesville Sanctuary. If you like indigenous animals up close - this is the place to go. Our only disappointment was that we missed our Melbourne greeter tour because our Princess tour was late getting back. Don't miss the doggy cafe at the pier!

In Hobart, we took the Princess tour to Port Arthur. Don't miss this! The area is amazingly beautiful and the history fascinating.

In Sydney, we stayed at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. Again - highly recommended!! It's actually in walking distance from the pier but with suitcases, you will need a cab. It used to be a Ritz Carlton and it shows. It's a good rate in a great location.

If you have specific questions, I will be glad to try to answer.

Maureen

We absolutely loved the AUS/NZD cruise! First of all, 12 nights was a real luxury and we loved the relaxation of the sea days. The Sapphire is a great ship with a good staff.

We started in Aukland and stayed at the Hilton. I higly recommend the hotel. Nothing could have been easier than having the bell man just roll our suitcases to the ship.

We used Ian's Mount Classics tour company in Tauranga/Rotorua. A few other CCer's joined us. Our guide was terrific and Ian himself seemed a wonderful gentelman.

We used public transportation in Christchurch to see the Antarctic Centre, the town square and the cable car ride.

You already know about Dunedin. In Melbourne, we took the Princess tour to the Healesville Sanctuary. If you like indigenous animals up close - this is the place to go. Our only disappointment was that we missed our Melbourne greeter tour because our Princess tour was late getting back. Don't miss the doggy cafe at the pier!

In Hobart, we took the Princess tour to Port Arthur. Don't miss this! The area is amazingly beautiful and the history fascinating.

In Sydney, we stayed at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. Again - highly recommended!! It's actually in walking distance from the pier but with suitcases, you will need a cab. It used to be a Ritz Carlton and it shows. It's a good rate in a great location.

If you have specific questions, I will be glad to try to answer.

Maureen

Maureen..thanks for all the great info. It will be very helpful for us. How was the weather and the seas?

Thanks again, Jeanne

We went in March. Being from Phoenix, we have pretty thin blood so we felt a jacket or sweater was needed much of the time - until you get to Australia. The temps there were fairly warm (80s-90) Going through the Fiordland was probably the coolest area. The only crummy weather day was in Tuaranga where it dizzled for a little while and then got VERY windy. I had planned a surprised classic fighter plane flight for my husband but it had to be cancelled due to the wind.

The Tasman Sea is all that they say it is. I have heard that if you are going from AUS to NZD, it's a little smoother. I never get seasick so it didn't bother me. The evening production show was cancelled as it was considered unsafe for the dancers. The pools were drained for a bit because the water was sloshing back and forth over the sides.

Let me know if you need any other info.

• 2 weeks later...
What a great review and photos !! We are sailing on the Sapphire on 2/14/08 Auckland-Sydney.

Since I read your review, I have e-mailed Arthur to check on tours.

Do you remember which tour you took with him in Dunedin? Was it #2, Albatross Colony/Penguin Place/Lamach Castle/City Sights ?

Seems like a more expensive but better choice than going on a busload of folks!!:eek:

Did you do a private tour or with a group. We are thinking we will do a group of 6 if Arthur can connect us with someone, as there are just 2 of us.

Thanks for any additional info you can give me. I will check back on this site or you can e-mail me at xdr5tgbvc@sbbmail.com

Just note that you are a CC member.

Thanks again...Jeanne:D

Hi Jeanne,

Sorry for the delay. It has been a while since I have visited cruisecritic. Yes we did go on Arthur's Tour #2. I don't think you will have too much difficulty finding more couples to join you on the tour. One of our tourmates, posted that she was interested in this tour on our Roll Call and come tour time there were 8 couples!

Top 3 Reasons to use Arthur's Tours instead of a Princess tour:

1. Cost. Buy direct. Believe it or not, with the exchange rate (when we sailed) tour#2 was 1/2 the price of Princess. You need at least a group of 6 (?), but that's easy to get. You've got lots of time to round up folks through Roll Call.

2. Arthur': He's a hoot.

3. Avoiding the cattle call. Quicker to load a minivan than a tour wagon.

Hope this helps,

Helen

OK--I've come back to your tours/pics again...may I ask if it cost anything to go up to the Pylon? I know something costs $8 or so--just not sure which part it is. I won't be booking anything until after our cruise to Alaska in Sept.--then we start planning AUS/NZ

• 2 weeks later...
OK--I've come back to your tours/pics again...may I ask if it cost anything to go up to the Pylon? I know something costs $8 or so--just not sure which part it is. I won't be booking anything until after our cruise to Alaska in Sept.--then we start planning AUS/NZ

Yes there was an admission fee to go to the very top of the pylon. It's a free climb for about 1/3 of the way. After that you arrive at the museum visitor's desk and gift shop; this is where they charge you admission. There is an observation deck at this level (for free), but the walls are very high (above my armpits) and concrete. The charge to go all the way to the top was $9.00 (I think). I hope this helps. Safe travels.

Yes there was an admission fee to go to the very top of the pylon. It's a free climb for about 1/3 of the way. After that you arrive at the museum visitor's desk and gift shop; this is where they charge you admission. There is an observation deck at this level (for free)' date=' but the walls are very high (above my armpits) and concrete. The charge to go all the way to the top was $9.00 (I think). I hope this helps. Safe travels.[/quote']

Ok--yes that helps--we most likely will do this & decide on the way up howfar we are going according to heat & tired...:eek: am assuming it might be really HOT in AUS in Jan/Feb

Helen.....we were on your cruise......thanks for posting all your photos.....I enjoyed reliving our trip. I have posted a few of my photos, that I am using for my screen saver photos....on the Webshots link below.

Wonderful shots. Thanks for sharing your experience. We are scheduled for 2/2/08 on the Sapphire for Australia/New Zealand. Looking forward to an awesome experience.

PinkSuit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Jeanne' date='

Sorry for the delay. It has been a while since I have visited cruisecritic. Yes we did go on Arthur's Tour #2. I don't think you will have too much difficulty finding more couples to join you on the tour. One of our tourmates, posted that she was interested in this tour on our Roll Call and come tour time there were 8 couples!

Top 3 Reasons to use Arthur's Tours instead of a Princess tour:

1. Cost. Buy direct. Believe it or not, with the exchange rate (when we sailed) tour#2 was 1/2 the price of Princess. You need at least a group of 6 (?), but that's easy to get. You've got lots of time to round up folks through Roll Call.

2. Arthur': He's a hoot.

3. Avoiding the cattle call. Quicker to load a minivan than a tour wagon.

Hope this helps,

Helen[/quote']

Hi Helen & Hue,

I'm so glad that someone else found your posting and brought it back to life. The pictures were great and your review was so informative.

I'm going to Auckland/Australia 3-9-08 and am now doing my homework and looking in private tours. I would much rather book on my own than go through Princess since their excursions are always so expensive and it looks like you've done your homework and booked all your tours independently.

I just might copy off your paper...lol (like in school).

I'm going to save this and will be coming back often to re-read your reviews. Thanks again!

Ann:)

• 2 weeks later...
loved your tour and commentary ... even from a kiwi

well done

:)

From one Kiwi to another! Such an interesting Review and wonderful photos. I'm returning to NZ for a family holiday - treating myself to Sapphire Princess and QF F/Flyer return to Queensland. My home for 24 years! I'll definitely be arranging a Tour with Arthur in Dunedin (one place in NZ I haven't seen). The idea is to see THE BEST with THE BEST!!! Love his Scottish appearance. Need to get 6 or more together for Tour 2...or perhaps miss Penguin Place as they are likely to be "out to lunch". Looking forward to Hobart also and have set up a group of 6 there with Richard. Have arranged an excellent day with A Tour With A Difference in Melbourne for 10.

The Tasman Sea is unpredictable although I have crossed it twice in flat calm conditions. The worst was many years ago (AKL/SYD) on FAIRSTAR.

Have a friend who is about to do this Itinerary for 5th time....DIAMOND and SAPPHIRE obviously handle any conditions.

Happy Cruising.........BEV :)

• 4 weeks later...

hope I have posted this correctly. thank you so much for taking the time to set up these photos and give the hints! a really joy to view.

Hi jonsey' date='

Thank you! :D To answer your questions: No, I am not a professional photographer. I just really enjoy photography. My husband always jokes that I can tolerate any kind of extreme condition (heat, cold, wet, bug-infested) so long as I have a camera in my hand and something to photograph. The camera I used on this trip is a Canon Powershot S1 IS. At the time we bought it (Nov. 2004), it was a great camera for the price and size.

Helen[/quote']

Archived