Dining Room Waitlist

dippy

Hello Everyone:

I have recently received my cruise docs and though I am doing a doc dance, I am a little concerned about dining time. I have searched the boards using the search feature but there is nothing that relates to this question. As such, here it is...

If the dining time on the docs states waiting list, does this mean I have not received the requested time and I am on a waitlist or that the cruiseline does not assign dining times until you get on the ship? On a previous HAL cruise, the doc stated the dining time as confirmed but table # was not assigned until we were on the ship.

Should I contact my TA or deal directly with HAL. The reason for the concern is that we prefer early dining times since we have a young daughter and this time allows for us to finish dinner and catch the early show.

Thanks for all you assistance in advance.

Typically if you're waitlisted, it means you won't find your dining assignment out until boarding. You'll find a little tag in your "Welcome Aboard" folder that you get when checking in that will tell you your seating and table number.

If they did end up placing you in late seating, go and see the Maitre'd once you've gotten onboard. The front office, just off of where you'll board, can tell you where/when to find him/her.

Dippy,

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago on our upcoming Mex. Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam. All dininig times were waitlisted when I booked, and when my doc arrived it showed us waitlisted for the late dining time and a request for a table for two (as I had requested when I made the reservations). After twice calling my TA and asking him to contact HAL to find out if we had a confirmed dining time, I never received a response back from him after waiting a week. So I took it upon myself to call Ship Services at HAL to inquire about my dining time after I had ordered from her one of those new 10 glass wine cards. The lady at HAL couldn't have been any nicer and cooperative. She told me that our late dining time was confirmed by HAL and our request for a table for two would be turned over to the maitre'd in the week prior to our cruise when he makes the table assignments.

I would suggest you call your TA first and have him/her contact HAL to find out your dining time. If you get a 'no response' from your TA like I did, then call HAL directly and do as I will do next time and find a new TA.

Good luck,

Blazerbob

Having never booked through a TA, I can certainly suggest calling Holland America direct. I have had that happen 4 times, and every time I always got the Late Upper seating after I requested it on the phone prior to the cruise. I think it is the best way to deal with getting what you want - you don't have to rely on a 3rd party to convey your wants and desires for you!

We've been waitlisted three times and yet got the sitting and table size we requested every time. I think it's just a way for HAL to stay flexible as the cruise is getting down to the wire, and wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you do get assigned to the late seating and the Dining Room Manager (formerly known as the Maitre d') will/can not change it, tell him "Well, you can use that table for somebody else then, because we'll be eating all our dinners in the Lido." Then go down to the front desk and tell them you want to reduce your Auto-tip by $3.50/person/day because you won't be using the dining room staff. I'll bet you get your early seating the next day! It worked for a friend of mine! :D

Archived