calica or on your own

sparky.mi

Calica is basically a parking lot. If you go to the cruise critic boards main page, scroll down past cruise line chat where you see "special themes" or something like that and look for the "Ports" threads. When you go there, you can look up Calica specifically, and see everyone's posts on what to do there, what tours are the best, etc. (I imagine this thread will be moved there shortly anyway, by the mods once they see the thread title.) The nearest town is Playa Del Carmen. There are a lot of private tours to do or shopping. Check out the Calica board for all kinds of info. ;)

I went to Calica back in Oct, and it's on my cruise this time as well. This time we are doing it on our own.

We did a tour the last time, my sis and I did the Playa Del Carmen shopping tour, we set on a bus in front of the ship, almost 1 1/2 hours past time to leave, because a couple on the bus said their friend was joining them as well, well they never showed up, and put us way behind.

When we left they took us to some out of the way jewelery store that you have to be filthy rich to buy from, they kept us there about an hour, then took us back past the port and finally into Playa Del Carmen, the tour guide was just awful. He made everyone stay together while he walked us down the 5th ave. shopping, showing us which stores to buy from, which places to eat...etc...in other words, his friends worked at these places, and it was a scam to get you to go there. My sister and I left the excursion and just went shopping, and paid a taxi to go back to ship. I would never again do an excursion there. At least not a shopping one.

My husband and brotherinlaw did the ATV Jungle one, while we were...sitting on a bus....they had a good time, and really liked it. To bad we didn't go with them. Instead we were sitting on that bus.

This time when we go, we are doing it on our own. When you get off the ship, if you go all the way to your right, past all those busses, and tell a taxi to take you into 5th ave shopping area, it's 10 bucks there and 10 bucks coming back, doesn't matter how many ppl are in the taxi, it's 10 bucks. There is a public beach there, very nice, and then restaurants on 5th ave. if you choose to eat, and then of course shopping.

The 40 bucks my sis and I paid each to go into town, well, we could have had 60 bucks extra to spend, and alot more time in town, had we just went on our own.

Ohhh and when you get off this ship there, there is a tent with some vendors set up, they will grab you n pull you into buy. Just don't look their way, keep your eyes focused on that taxi and walk straight ahead...and the stuff they have for sale there, is ten times cheaper in Playa Del Carmen's 5th ave. shopping/beach area.

They want your money...so haggle haggle!!! We walked away and they would drop their price...it was easy to get them down. Have fun!

Debbie

We were just there a few weeks ago...

did our own thing.....got a taxi to take us to playa del carmen(which we split with another couple so it was $5.00 per couple, not per person) the other couple wanted to shop so they were dropped off at shopping, we told our driver we wanted something not on the tourist stip....he took us to "Pirate resteraunt & bar" nice had lounge chairs, 4 beers, fajitas, guacamole & chips all for 25.00 (that included tip)

and our driver sent someone to pick us up at 5 (ship time)

we really enjoyed ourselves and would definatly do this again!

it was about 2-3 blocks down the beach from senior frogs/ carlos & charlies whichever is there on the beach...we did see others wandering the beach that were on our ship and they said they "got taken" for $10.00 each person and were let of by the tourist area.

Just back from the Imagination. A last minute trip. We had heard about Edventures on this board. We were not able to pre book any thing. As we got of the ship we looked for his sign. he had room and we went to three snorkeling spots. Caverns, Turtles, Lagoon and shopping. I will try to put a full review later

:)

Just back from the Imagination. A last minute trip. We had heard about Edventures on this board. We were not able to pre book any thing. As we got of the ship we looked for his sign. he had room and we went to three snorkeling spots. Caverns, Turtles, Lagoon and shopping. I will try to put a full review later

:)

Thanks for the info I emailed the Edventures about pricing and tours. Waiting to hear from someone. How much did your excursion cost? Looking forward to reading your review. Thanks again.

Here is the E mail I got from ED.

We did not do the ruins or dinner. We spent more time in the water. Great tour.

Never snorkeled with bats. That was great and saw sea turtels at the next stop.

We pick you up at the port of Calica at 1pm and bring you back around 8pm

We take you to Tulum Ruins to tour there- $6.50 per person. If you want a

guide inside the ruins, that is more- around $15 per person for a party of

Snorkel bay and lagoon $40. Transpórtation fee for 2 is $30.

After the snorkel, we would take you to La Buena Vida Restaurant for Happy

Hour or snacks and maybe a little shopping on the way back to the ship.

Would be $70 for the day, plus your shopping and food and drinks.

We would have a sign for you as you come off the ship "Edventure Tours"

If this interests you, we would need a deposit for $10 per person sent

through PayPal. Our address with them is edventure68@hotmail.com

Hope to hear back from you!

Bonnie

I wasn't that impressed with the reply I got back from Edventure. I told them I had already booked a biking/ziplining/snorkel tour with Carnival and wondered what they had that was comparable. I got a short reply that said, "We don't do biking. I don't think we'd have anything for you." I was kind of surprised because I didn't say that I specifically wanted biking, and said I'd be interested in swimming. I thought they'd give some sort of "Well here's what we could do..."

I dunno. It was kinda wierd.

I looked into some different tour groups - and there seemed to be a lot of them. A lot of ziplining/ATV tours that looked really cool. I'm not really a snorkeler, and that's what Edventure seems to concentrate on. After all is said and done though - I think I'm gonna stick with Carnival this time. Yeah it's about $40 more - but I know I won't miss my ship - and if I make some new friends, they'll be on the ship when we get there. :)

I did get a message back from Eduardo and from the previous post prices have went up. To do the snorkel thing is $50 pp not a bad price. If they pick us up in a car it is $60 and we would have to take a $10 taxi to Lapis near Puerto Aventuras. Maybe if someone is going on the same cruise we could hook up and all go together to save some money(for the car rental). I figure the total pp would be about $90. I'll have to put a new post of dates going and hope I can get some takers. Thanks for everyones reviews, they are helpful.

Las Vegas - we just booked last minute on the Fascination for March 26th. How was your trip? We've never done a four-day cruise but due to schedules, etc., this worked for us. We are doing two days pre-cruise at SB.

Mainer208,

We are booked on the same cruise. Have you ever been to Calica before, it sounds like carnival should be busing us into playa for free since there is nothing in Calica? We have not booked anything yet and I am not sure whether we should do it on our own or through the ship. I hope you join the roll call for our week.

M:cool:

Adventure of the Seas- 2/2006

I have joined the roll call this morning. I didn't see a Carnival tour to Xcaret?? Am surprised since it is so close by. Shuttle bus issue is the same in Costa Maya...have to pay to get into town but in KW there is no charge. Am excited about the Fascination!

Hello fellow March 26ers! (ONLY 17 MORE DAYS! WE ROCK!) I've been looking around for alternate private tours but I'm not really finding what I'm looking for. I'm afraid that if we just go there willy-nilly, we'll just end up eating and shopping. zzz I need some adventure! Right now I've got the mayan jungle explorer tour booked through Carnival. Can't get anyone to tell me if it's cool or not. Wish I could ask on the main board where there's more people...

Zipliner - not sure what we are doing either. Would like to find out more about Tulum on our own but am apprehensive about getting a collectivo on the return trip back. We don't have passports (I know, but this was last minute) and god forbid, something happened and we got stuck. Thinking about Xcaret as well. I think Playa is a hopping place in the evening from all of the all-inclusive resorts but not sure of our return time back to the ship. Also, we thought about going to this area to the Iberostar Quetzal. Wondering if we can walk from PDC to the hotel and then get a tour. We have friends who have been there and loved it.

Zipliner - not sure what we are doing either. Would like to find out more about Tulum on our own but am apprehensive about getting a collectivo on the return trip back. We don't have passports (I know, but this was last minute) and god forbid, something happened and we got stuck. Thinking about Xcaret as well. I think Playa is a hopping place in the evening from all of the all-inclusive resorts but not sure of our return time back to the ship. Also, we thought about going to this area to the Iberostar Quetzal. Wondering if we can walk from PDC to the hotel and then get a tour. We have friends who have been there and loved it.

Good Morning,

Only 2 more weeks, it is funny that you are talking about going to Tulum like that. I have been doing research myself. We only have from 1 to 8 I think, the ship's tour for 5 hours is $69.00, which is about 1hour back and 1hour to then 2 hours to spend at Tulum. SO with only 7 or 8 hours in the day already 5 will be taken up with Tulum, what if we dont want to spend 2 hrs looking around, we are stuck there(so to speak). According to the map it appears to be a straight line from Playa to Tulum, I was thinking of renting a jeep and going ourselves because I also wanted to check out the beach for a little while and of course do some shopping in Playa, but like yourselfs we dont have passports either. So I am very torn on what to do, I think the jeep rental is $89.00 for the day. That does beat paying $210.00 for the Tulum tour? But, do we want to venture out on our own?? We are still undecided.....

ZIPLINER- check your other posts, I posted a website for you.

M:cool:

P.S. I still can not figure out how to make that countdown clock stay on, very confused??????????

• 1 month later...

Its a no brainer $89.00 jeep rental $6.50 entrance to tour P/P total is 108.50. Which lives you with about $100.00. Which is more than enough to purchase new passports in mexico or to use for drinking and parting in pldc. Seriously though their is no adventure like the one you will create by yourself in a rental jeep. I always rent a jeep and explore and then a few hours before my ship is set to leave port I return jeep and head to town to get wasted.

Archived