1st Time Cruiser...ncl Spirit..any Tips?

JERSYGRL111

Jersygrl

We were on the Jan 23rd Spirit sailing. We had a wonderful time exploring the ship, sitting out on the back decks, particularly for breakfast from Raffles.

My biggest tip (and probably the hardest one to follow) to anyone cruising is to take a deep breath or several deep breaths when you arrive at the pier, let out the strains, stresses and anythng else of that nature. Then, "sit back" and enjoy the ride, the activities, the meals and most of all the pampering. Remember, while on a cruise they want to care for you, let them. I find it is wonderful to just quit thinking while cruising. When I get home I have a whole new outlook to handle the streses , strains, etc. of my vocation.

As far as activities to enjoy while on board or in port, read the Freestyle Daily, keep it with you if you feel you want to check it during the day, for what is planned during the day.

Was on the 2/18 sailing. My big tip:

If you want the specialty restaurants or a reserved time at the main dining rooms (which you CAN request), do the following:

Upon boarding the ship (which you should do early, I recommend getting to the pier no later than 10:30 am; they'll check you in and you should be aboard within a hour to and hour and 15 minutes) if you want any dining reservation that day or the next, immediately after boarding get to the nearest house phone and dial 7555. That will get you to dining reservations area to make your ressies, and since you'll be one of the first in line, almost everything will be available.

On subsequent days, if you want additional reservations, remember that the preferred ones go very quickly (anyone who tells you otherwise is full of phooey).

The dining reservation area opens at 8am. If you are already up by then, start dialing 7555 about 7:57 and let it it ring until someone picks up. If you plan on sleeping in, get a wake up call for a little before 8, make the ressie call, and go back to sleep. I can't overemphasize the importance of making this call.

Doing the above will guarantee you the preferred specialty dining spots (Cagneys, Bistro during prime hours, Teppenyaki, etc.).:D Waiting until later in the day and leisurely walking up to the reservation desk on deck 7 will guarantee you nothing.

You will have a terrific time. We were on the Spirit a couple of weeks ago and really liked it, it was my second cruise with NCL. We did 2 specialty restaurants (Shogun and Cagneys) and reserved during the week. If you really want a specific night and time, it might be best to book early (Cagney's only accepted reservations 24 hours in advance). I thought the specialty restaurants were nice, but honestly I was as happy in the main dining rooms.

We went to a couple of shows that were really good.

In the mornings we had shore excursions, we ordered our breakfast the night before (you hang a card on your door knob) and it served as a wake up call at the same time (they call a couple of minutes ahead of delivery).

Pack some sea sickness medicine just in case. I only took one Bonine but it is reassuring to have them. If you forget, walk to the desk they have some.

Take the time to read the little journal that is left on your bed everynight, you will be sure not to miss something important.

When getting ready for dinner, I like to go to the buffet first to get a plate of cheese and cold vegetables to nibble on while we get ready.

If you order wine at dinner, if you don't finish the bottle you can:

- have it put away for another night

- take it to your cabin (bring your glasses or maybe you can as your steward to bring some)

- walk away with your last glass to take to a lounge or to the show...

Going to the hot tub is a nice way to to enjoy an evening (my daughter was in the hot tub the night we left NY !! We have a picture of her with her aunt sitting close with her winter coat !)

Bring and electric cord that has a few outlets (like for computers) if you have a few things to plug, there is only on regular outlet in the cabin.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy,...

The reason i think I'm scared is because I've never been on a cruise....I guess it's just the fact that I dont know what to expect, I'm not scared of flying, but i guess it's a few things that are really bogging me down...Firstly, In my mind i picture swells and rough seas hitting the boat and causing rocking, making me feel unsafe. Second, I fear not seeing land and feeling "stuck" in the middle of nowhere...I guess it's just the fear of the unknown and not being in control...like on an airplane...

Jersygrl - I too was a wreck - same feelings you have. We were on Spirit 2/24-3/4 and trust me, you are going to love it. I'm hooked!! It was a little rough going out of NYC but really not what your thinking. More cold then anything else. It was myself and my two boys 13 and 14. My 14 was a little pale but once he put on sea-bands he was fine. He was able to take them off by the second day out. Everything went very smooth registering and boarding. It's so nice to be out in the middle of no where. I was sitting on my belcony having coffee and saw a bird - jumped up and off in the distance was the first sighting of land. Land ho!!

Relax, it truly is a wonderful experience.

Have a great cruise.

Jrsygrl, I understand what you’re saying. I know I was definitely nervous my first time on a cruise. I was particularly worried about motion sickness (I’m happy to report it turned out not to be an issue for me). I can assure you if it does become a problem for you, the ship’s doctor and reception desk has medication that will help you. You won’t be left in the lurch. If you are prone to motion sickness, you can always get the patch prescribed by your doctor. A friend we cruise with gets motion sick quicker than anyone I’ve ever known and we’re going on our 3rd cruise together. The patch fixes her right up!

As far as feeling as though you’re in the “middle of nowhere” I’d be extremely surprised if you felt that way. Even a small ship is so much larger than you can imagine that you’ll just feel like you’re on an amazing resort. I too worried about feeling confined, especially during those days at sea. However, everything around you is so big that it almost seems as though you’re on a land based resort, gazing at the sea. When I look gaze out at the sea from the ship, it just adds to my feeling of calm and relaxation. And you’ll be so busy exploring the ship, by the time you remember that you’re at sea, you’ll be used to it!

I’m not saying that it’s guaranteed that it’ll be smooth sailing but the ships are built to handle it. You really have nothing to worry about. It’s a part of the cruising experience and honestly I’ve gotten to the point where I feel gypped if I don’t feel at least some motion (and I have been on cruises where the ocean was like glass…and DH hates this…he likes to be rocked to sleep at night!). Remember the Spirit is 882 feet long (almost three football-fields!) and as high as a 13 story building. The only thing a ship this size has to worry about is icebergs and I feel safe saying there are none of those where you are going.

As another poster mentioned, from the moment you’re on the ship, you’re on vacation (okay, with the exception of the pesky muster drill). I feel the tension just rolling off of my shoulders pretty much the moment the key card touches my hand. That’s your main job on a cruise. Relax…followed closely by enjoy!

Since I first posted to your question, we have booked a cruise on the Spirit. Our first on this ship! Be sure to come back and give us your full report.

Cube

The reason i think I'm scared is because I've never been on a cruise....I guess it's just the fact that I dont know what to expect, I'm not scared of flying, but i guess it's a few things that are really bogging me down...Firstly, In my mind i picture swells and rough seas hitting the boat and causing rocking, making me feel unsafe. Second, I fear not seeing land and feeling "stuck" in the middle of nowhere...I guess it's just the fear of the unknown and not being in control...like on an airplane...

You've seen the Titanic too many times! :)

I don't like planes. I think of it this way... I can swim but I can't fly!

Don't worry... you'll be fine. It's just fear of the unknown. Once you're aboard, you'll be so busy having fun you'll forget about all your fears.

We felt the same as you prior to our first cruise on the spirit in Dec. My best advise would be similar to what has been posted already. Relax and enjoy, don't worry about the small stuff. You are on vacation enjoy it to the fullest. As for tips also enjoy the ship to the fullest. Explore the entire ship. Your favorite area may be different then anyone elses. Try everything once.

We had a fantistic time and if your cruise is half as good as ours you will have the time of your lives. Enjoy.

Mike

JERSYGRL111 - I had the same feelings before my first cruise last year. Before my cruise, I feared that "I can't go anywhere feeling" or "claustrophobic feeling". I also have a fear of heights and get motion sickness. I know, call me Ms. Paranoia. But I want to say that I had a blast. The ship is so big that you don't feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. We didn't have rough seas our first night out but I wore those Sea Bands anyway. By the last night when we were coming in and hit a cold front, the boat was rockin and rolling. I didn't care at all about it and actually it was really fun trying to walk around. I didn't get any motion sickness, no claustrophobia, no heights issues or anything else. We were having so much fun that I didn't have time to think about anything else. The only thing I felt was happy and relaxed. It was the best vacation I've ever had and we're book for our second cruise on the Spirit in May.

The only thing I have to say to you is that it may take a day to get your sea legs. Don't sweat it, have a drink and enjoy!!!!!!

I also just got off the 2/24-3/4 cruise. Few words of advice.

1. If you want to bring your own soda or bottled water (water in the cabin is about $4 a bottle), either pack it in a suit case to be checked or only carry on as much as you can handle with your carryon. I brought a case of water (24 1/2 liter bottles) and had to carry it on - apparently too many people were complaining that if they checked a case of water or soda, it never arrived to their cabin.

2. If you go up to Galaxy of the Stars (Deck 12), there is a staircase that you can go down to see what is going on on the bridge - interesting.

3. Look in the Freestyle Daily for sign ups for the Murder Mystery Dinner or the Officers Dinner. Unfortunately ours was the same night so we chose to do the Officers Dinner instead of the Murder Mystery.

4. It's a good idea to bring something for seasickness just in case but don't worry about it too much. I went with my sister and parents and we never took anything for seasickness but never needed it either. The only day it was a little rough was the last sea day - it can get a little rough off Cape Hatteras, NC. We had rough seas and a moderate gale blowing for a few hours on Saturday and although it was noticeable, none of us felt the least bit sick. BTW - waters in the Caribbean are usually very smooth - I think it has to do with the fact that the seas are relatively shallow.

5. Do one of the ship sponsored excursions in Samana - it is a beautiful place and not too touristy yet. Definitely worth getting off the ship but this is one stop that I wouldn't try to book my own excursion.

6. Try to catch at least one performance of Milleneum - they are amazing singers. Also, don't miss Second City - great comedy.

7. Relax - you will have a wonderful time. Wish I was going with you!

i was so scared in sept before our trip on the spirit. i kept checking weather updates, checked every brand of motion sickness made and always left the room when my husband intentionally brought up not seeing land (i'm always a nervous person). that said, when we arrived at the pier and i saw that ship every fear left my head...the first night at sea i sat on a chair on the deck outside and was so relaxed i fell asleep! by the middle of the week when we would walk around after dinner the rule was "don't let mommy sit down"! as for the rest of the ship i have to agree with everyone else there is so much to do you will feel like you are on land in a resort! believe it or not the only time i was affected was when we came home i still had my sea legs for about three days only there was no one to cook for me, set my bed up or just ask me if i needed anything! :( enjoy your trip, leave your worries at home and remember the people on land who wish they were on that ship!:o

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Archived