Best time to cruise Alaska on Celebrity

Janet Foster

Hi, Janet!

I'm assuming you meant best time for weather. For us by sailing the inside passage several years ago the second week of August, we saw salmon spawning, the Leonid Perseids meteor shower and a bonus, the northern lights . The weather was ideal-sunny & in the low sevenities. Ketchikan was cooler and cloudy, but as the the people of the city told us if it's not raining, it's a good day. Several crew members mentioned it was the best weather they had experienced so far that season so we were very fortunate.

We had time restrictions so we were not able to do the land tour but plan to return one day. I'm sure other CC members will be able to offer more information.

Alaska is beautiul. You will have a great cruise!

Bonnie

We are taking our third cruise to Alaska this May on the Summit. Our two prior cruises were both 14 nights from San Diego to Alaska...we had great weather with very little rain except for Seattle where it was misty rain. Our itinerary began on the Summit in San Diego, Catalina Island, San Francisco, Seattle, Victoria, Sitka, Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Hubbard's Glacier, Inside Passage and ended in Vancouver. This year we will take the Summit 7 night northbound cruise from Vancouver and a 6 night land package that ends in Fairbanks. There are various cruises from 7 nights round-trip to 10-12 night round-trips from San Francisco. We prefer May because there's statistically less rain on the inside passage than June, July or August, but one never knows about the unpredictable weather these days. And the rates are lower in May than in the summer months. Whatever you choose I'm sure you love every minute of your cruise. Alaska is spectacularly beautiful and a wonderful national treasure. We love Celebrity because of their excellent service, food and elegant (not glitzy) ships. The concierge staterooms that we always book are large & very comfortable. I suggest you get at least a balcony stateroom for your first time to Alaska. Even if you book the standard verandah, it will be very comfortable. Go for it and have fun!

What might help you is go to the Ports of Call forum and scroll to Alaska and Canada. There is a wealth of information there and alot of expert Alaska cruisers on there.

Marilyn

Thanks to all for the info. I did want to know what time of the year was best, as well as what trip to take. I was looking around the different lines and the cruises seem to be one way or roundtrip, starting from different places... I just started confusing myself.

Will check out the Ports of Call forum.

Thanks again..

JF

Archived