Tipping Please Help!!!

para

We were planing a cruise on Carnival then switched to RCCL and I need help with what the tip guidelines mean.Carnival was 10pp per day.RCCL say this for tips

What are gratuity guidelines for cruises? A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15%gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent. Added to your onboard SeaPass account. Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

So it is just me and my husband, do we pay 15.50 pp per day or 15.50 total? We were only planing on spending $80 for our 4 night cruise with Carnival. Can we just tip 80.00 in an envelope at the end?We had a tight budget, but we do not want to be rude either.

Hi para...not $15.50 a day. It depends on what type of cabin you are staying in. You don't pay BOTH a suite attendant and a stateroom attendant, you pay EITHER one or the other. If you are in a suite, you pay a Suite Attendant and if in a "regular" stateroom you pay that attendant. Does that help?

And yes, that would be pp/pd. I'll assume you are in a non suite cabin so the total would be $9.75pp per day. They will give you envelopes to pay with cash at the end of the cruise or you can put the tips on your account.

So it is just me and my husband, do we pay 15.50 pp per day or 15.50 total? We were only planing on spending $80 for our 4 night cruise with Carnival. Can we just tip 80.00 in an envelope at the end?We had a tight budget, but we do not want to be rude either.

Hi para!

One of our fellow cruisers. TPKeller, developed this Cruise Tip Calculator and I find it to be among the best things I've ever gotten out of these boards. Just plug in the info and it will tell you not only how much you'll need -- but if you want to pay n cash what denominations of bills you'll need to have on hand.

Enjoy!

Remember that these are guidelines. Many people tip extra. If you elect to charge your Stateroom attendant, Dining Room Waiter, Assistant waiter, and headwaiter’s gratuities to your sea pass account* you will be given vouchers that reflect the following amounts to put into separate envelopes at the end of the cruise.

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest * 2=$7 * 4 = $28 for the room attendant’s envelope

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest * 2= $7 * 4 = $28 for the waiter’s envelope

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest * 2 = $4 * 4 =$8 for assistant waiter’s envelope

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest *2 = $1.50 * 4 = $6 for headwaiter’s envelope

…………………………………………………………………………………………..for a total gratuity of $70

Example: When you put a $5.00 drink on your sea pass card a 15% gratuity will be added to your sea pass bill that is settled at the end of the cruise. So your bar bill would show an entry for $5.75.

* You can pick up a form at the Guest Relations Desk to have your gratuities charged to your sea pass account. You must fill out the form and turn it in by the deadline indicated on the form. Don’t wait until the last day to do this.

If sailing in a reg. cabin (not suite) recommended amount would be $39 pp times two equals $78 for a 4 night cruise. Now if someone goes over and above a little extra is due.

Each person you tip gets their own envelope. If you put your tips on your seapass you will get a voucher for each envelope. You will get two sets of vouchers, one set for each person in the cabin, then you just put both in one envelope.

HAPPY CRUISING!!:)

Thanks kitty that did help a lot. We booked an inside room.

Thanks Ron & Debbie that calculator is a good idea.

I guess I just found the wording confusing and could not understand why it would be more then Carnival.Thanks again! You both clarified this for me

If you choose to authorize them to place your tips on your shipboard account, near the end of the cruise you will receive vouchers along with the tip envelopes. Place the vouchers in the appropriate envelopes and, if anyone's service was over and above what you expected, add some cash before you hand out the envelopes at the end of your cruise (usually the last night of the cruise). :) I suspect that you will be surprised at how good the service is.

Remember that these are guidelines. Many people tip extra. If you elect to charge your Stateroom attendant, Dining Room Waiter, Assistant waiter, and headwaiter’s gratuities to your sea pass account* you will be given vouchers that reflect the following amounts to put into separate envelopes at the end of the cruise.

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest * 2=$7 * 4 = $28 for the room attendant’s envelope

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest * 2= $7 * 4 = $28 for the waiter’s envelope

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest * 2 = $4 * 4 =$8 for assistant waiter’s envelope

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest *2 = $1.50 * 4 = $6 for headwaiter’s envelope

…………………………………………………………………………………………..for a total gratuity of $70

Example: When you put a $5.00 drink on your sea pass card a 15% gratuity will be added to your sea pass bill that is settled at the end of the cruise. So your bar bill would show an entry for $5.75.

* You can pick up a form at the Guest Relations Desk to have your gratuities charged to your sea pass account. You must fill out the form and turn it in by the deadline indicated on the form. Don’t wait until the last day to do this.

You stiffed the asst waiter out of $8.00. :D

Bill

Archived