Cell Phone Service-Zuiderdam

Does anyone that has been on the Zuiderdam recently know the details about using a cellphone on board the ship? I read somewhere that some of the HAL ships were set up with Sea Mobile service. We contacted our carrier, Verizon, and had the international feature activated, but the Zuiderdam was not listed as participating in Verizon's service. I do plan to call HAL tomorrow to inquire.

Thank you for any information that you may have on this subject.

BaltimoreCruise

We have Sprint and our phones (and they also have the international calling activated) worked while we were on the ship (last month). Whatever they turn on, so you can get reception, they turn off while you are in the ports (don't know the technical term, but this is what they told hubby). We didn't have service while we were on Grand Turk, Tortola, or HMC, but shortly after pulling away from the island, service was restored.

When we were cruising past St. Thomas, on the way to Tortola, we weren't even roaming, nor did we roam while we were in St. Thomas.

HAL doesn't charge you anything for this service, so you only pay whatever your cell phone company charges. In our case, that wasn't much (which surprised us). We only used our cell phones in our cabin, so I don't know where all they would work. A couple of times we did see people using their cell phones, but I don't remember where we were at that time.

Archived