Thoughts on renting a car??

So I've got my excursions planned except for St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Figured these ports we'd do our own thing. Has anyone had the experience of renting a car in these ports? If so, how was the driving? Is it difficult (bad/good roads, signage, etc)? How far in advance should you arrange this? Or is it something you can just do once you get into port?

Thanks for your help!

We haven't rented a car at either of these ports, but I don't know if I'd want to rent one on St. Thomas since they drive on the other side of the road. I am afraid that on those windy roads I might find myself, out of habit, driving on the right-hand side and meeting someone coming at me in my lane! :eek: :eek:

Ooops! I didn't realize that St. Thomas drove on the other side! So I guess that will be a no-go for us! Yeah, the only place I've been exposed to for driving in the Caribbean was the Dominican Republic....I can't imagine that St. Maarten is that bad.....but you never know with crazy drivers from all over!

The map was so big I couldn't type!:eek:

We have rented a car on St Maarten 2 out of 3 trips and had no problem. It was nice because we could do what we wanted when we wanted. We got a jeep both times. Last year it was $75 from Arthur's Car Rental (He has a website) If you look at the map there is basically 1 road that goes around the whole island. I will tell you that last year we were there on a Thursday and lunch time around Marigot was a bit congested. Arthur's is right across the street from the pier car rental places. If you do this make sure to check out Maho Beach in the afternnon. It is where the airport is and the planes land right over the beach. It was pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing. There is also a neat bar right there on the beach. Great Strawberry Daquiris but they were $9 :eek: Of course they are well known for free drinks for women if you expose a certain part of your upper body;) . Do some research on the island and decide what you want to see and I think you'll really enjoy the car rental.

When are you going?

Have a great trip!

Lisa

Wow, thanks for the map and great info Lisa!

We're not going until September but you know how it is when you're still in that excited planning stage!

I am going to check out that website you recommended. So you would say it's a best bet that you can see most the island in 1 day with a car? We're not true beachgoers in the sense that we like to lay out and tan all day. I think 45-1 hr for each "must see" beach will be just fine. How is parking at the beach areas?

We def want to go to that Maho beach with the planes! I actually found a video of it on youtube and it looks sooooo amazing!

Thanks again for your response.

Dana

We have also rented them twice in St. Marteen. The cost was very reasonable and there was tons of parking at the beaches. The roads are well marked, well maintained and very safe. The traffic flows well and I'm sure you would enjoy the island more with your own wheels. Taxis are expensive to the French side of the island, twenty-five dollars plus. Note there is no border check point to go through, only a welcome sign, and should take less than half an hour. All the best.

We have rented cars in both St Maarten and St Thomas and had a good time in both places. You have more flexibility and options about where to go and when to stop, and the cost usually is less than most excursions. I didn't find the driving unduly difficult in either place. Unlike the States, however, I DO get the extra insurance.

We rented on St. Maarten and Antigua... from Hertz.

Had a blast both times.

Rented a jeep from Hertz on St. Maarten ahead of time. Then did the loop as suggested by previous poster. We went clockwise (first to Marigot - shopping and lunch) then to Grand Case - then over to Orient for some beach time and then back down to Philipsburg. Traffic is ok once out of town and they drive like us - on the right.

Antigua we drove on the left (dh has driven on left in many countries) and traffic was almost non-existent here :D

Always take the extra insurance and be sure to "inspect" the vehicle with the rep before you leave. They have a little drawing of the car to note any knicks, dings, scratches etc... so you wont be responsible for them when you get back. This only takes 2 minutes.

Archived