denali touring

dogdoc2002

My partner and I are on the June 23rd sailing of the Diamond Northbound to Whittier. After that, we're on a Heart of Alaska tour with Princess. We're taking the train from Whittier to the McKinley lodge for the first night, then to the Denali lodge the second night. When we get to Denali, we're on the Natural History Tour provided through Princess. What I've read thus far suggests that we'd be better off taking the Tundra Wildlife, or booking the shuttle bus on our own. We're leaving the next morning by bus to the Fairbanks resort.

Questions:

1) Would we be in Denali early enough to make the afternoon Tundra Tour, which would leave at 1:30 (factoring in that we'd have to get from the lodge to the park)

2) Would we be to Denali early enough to make the Fish Creek Turnaround (leaves at 2 on the latest trip) or Wonder Lake Shuttle (last one at 11:15am)

Anyone out there done this?

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

The northbound train doesn't arrive in Denali until around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. You could take a late shuttle into the park, but you really don't have time to do much other than the Natural History tour, which only gets you a few miles into the park.

Wolfie is correct. You do not have the time for the Tundra Wilderness tour, Fish Creek Shuttle or Wonder Lake shuttle. Your package has you staying in the McKinley Lodge which is not a train stop. You will be bused 50 miles from Talkeetna. The train arrival at Denali Park is around 4pm.

This is a worthless tour in Denali Park, frankly, I can see no reason to take it and certainly can not rationalize it especially when it is going to take you 8 hours on a train to get there. My opinion only, you may want to consider looking at another tour in your timeframe.

Your only option, would be to consider the 6pm Polychrome Shuttle, but you would have to verify the return options to Denali Princess. It only goes 33 miles into the park, but certainly superior to the Natural History tour.

Archived