A different outfit every night?

We are leaving for our 11-night Celebrity cruise later this month -- dh, me and our two daughters, ages 4 and 7. I've selected a different outfit for me to wear every night for dinner (3 formals, 3 informals, and 5 casuals), and have done the same for the girls. Am I being too ambitious / ridiculous? Is that too many outfits?

What do some of you cruise veterans do -- "recycle" outfits during the length of your cruise, or wear something different every night? If the latter, how many suitcases do you end up taking with you? Right now, we would be rivaling Posh and Becks in the amount of luggage we'll be taking with us. But then again, we are packing for four people.

Thanks,

Linda

Over the years I have learned to lighten the load by repeating outfits fully or at least partially. For casual nights, I usually take one pair of slacks to wear with three different tops, a long black cotton skirt to wear with another three tops, formal wear and then a long simple black dress which I wear some of the other tops with to change the look. After I have worn a casual top for the evening, I recycle it for a daytime top. I also repeat one of my formal dresses on a three formal night cruise. My DH and I take one suitcase each and no carry-ons other than my purse/sack.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I recycle different tops and bottom too. I don't think I have enough clothes to create 11 evening outfits and daytime outfits without recycling. If you are checking you bags, just pack a little bit of detergent to do some wash or in case you spill (like me). I know sometimes once you get out the sun tan lotion and other scents you don't was to re-wear an outfit until it's washed.

Unless it is VERY rememberable (think colorful and/or bold pattern) I doubt anyone will notice or care if you rework the outfit.

We were almost able to pack for a 7 day cruise for 2 people with 2 carryons. If it weren't for me wanting to take my pillow and that my husband's sport coat didn't fit in his carry on it would have worked. Instead we still took two bags but one was a carryon on ant the other was a larger size. I took a 12 days cruise once (with 3 formal nights) and still only took 1 bag.

I always do something new for formal nights (one of the main reasons I like to cruise). For the other nights, I do take a couple of dresses and then take a basic black skirt and/or pants and then a couple mix and match tops that can be worn with casual bottoms by day and then one of my black basics at night.

For the kids (we don't have any so I might not be the best person to ask) but I remember from my childhood that I wasn't always as neat as I am today:) I would definately take a fair amount of clothing for them or plan to use the ship laundry service to keep up.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! My problem is that all of my outfits are dresses, so I can't really split them up into separate outfits, although those would be interesting looks. :D I actually don't lack of cocktail dresses / formalwear since I attend many formal events as part of my job, so I am fortunate to have a good selection. But again, they can't be separated. That's why I was thinking of taking one dress for each evening since that was my only option without any repeats.

As for the girls -- my 4-year-old is a serious dress whore (please don't flame me for that term, but it soooo describes her). She won't wear anything else but dresses. Seriously, she has lots of hand-me-down (along with new) jeans and pants from her older sister, but she refuses to wear them. She wears dresses to school all week long, and lives in them over the weekends. So she's got plenty there to choose from. Her older sister doesn't have quite the selection that she has, but still has enough to cover an 11-night cruise with just one repeat, so I figure -- why not put them all to good use. They'll probably live in t-shirts and shorts once the weather gets warmer ...

I may just have to get dh to cut back on what he is bringing to make more room for us in the suitcases ... ;)

Linda

I like to bring one or two pairs of black pants and a few dressy tops to wear with them. You can wear the pants more than once with a different top. I also like dresses that don't wrinkle...you can cram them in your suitcase and they come out looking great!!

I've also seen skirts that double as a strapless top. I might buy one of those for our next cruise. Wear it as a top with the black pants, and as a skirt with a black top that also goes with the black pants. Genius!!!:D

I wear something different every night, but I take sundresses that are small when you roll them up. I also stick to a lot of black to eliminate shoes. But a lot of my black has a lot of color thrown in with it. :)

I don't think you are being ridiculous at all. I don't wear the same outfit at home more than once, so I'm not going to do it on the cruise. And while I don't usually change outfits for dinner at home, dinner on the cruise is a totally different thing than eating dinner at home.

I'm one for a different outfit everyday and everynight. I have a 29/30" suitcase and 1 smaller suitcase and 1 carry-on. That was for an 11 day cruise with 3 days in NYC pre-cruise. I did try to mix and match colors, so I could wear an outfit more than once, but it generally didn't work out that way. The only outfit I wore more than once was my white cocktail dress. On Constellation they had a White Masked Ball one night and that's why I took the white cocktail dress, then ended up wearing it on the third formal night too. I was hoping they would plan the masked ball on a formal night, but they didn't.

Don't even worry about the amount of luggage you are taking. As you said, you are packing for 4 people. And with the 50 lbs weight restriction per bag, if you have to take 2 bags per person, so be it.

Have a great cruise!

I could have fit everything in the one suitcase, but then it was over 50 lbs limit, so split the clothes up and used the smaller 22" suitcase as well as the 29/30". But then that gave me plenty of room for souvenirs and dirty clothes coming home, and still not be over the 50 lbs limit per bag.

I wear a lot of dresses as well and most of mine are silk chiffon or matte jersey so they pack easy and do not take up a lot of space.

I also pack a pair of good black slacks and switch out the tops for very different looks.

I do not try and pack too lightly as I have never had the need to, except to the Med, where I have to carry my own stuff on trains and such. Otherwise, I could care less about packing light. I like options:).

I admit I'd probably bring a different one for every night. I only usually get to cruise once a year and it's normally a 7 night, but once a year I want to feel like it's something special.

Hire porters.:p

We are leaving for our 11-night Celebrity cruise later this month -- dh, me and our two daughters, ages 4 and 7. I've selected a different outfit for me to wear every night for dinner (3 formals, 3 informals, and 5 casuals), and have done the same for the girls. Am I being too ambitious / ridiculous? Is that too many outfits?

What do some of you cruise veterans do -- "recycle" outfits during the length of your cruise, or wear something different every night? If the latter, how many suitcases do you end up taking with you? Right now, we would be rivaling Posh and Becks in the amount of luggage we'll be taking with us. But then again, we are packing for four people.

Thanks,

Linda

I'm with you...I like to wear dresses so I'll have a different one each night...some of them I can wear during the day so that saves a bit of room. The most important thing for me is to try to stay within the same color family so I can reduce the number of shoes that I have to take. THOSE are what eat up the suitcase space.

I'm with you...I like to wear dresses so I'll have a different one each night...some of them I can wear during the day so that saves a bit of room. The most important thing for me is to try to stay within the same color family so I can reduce the number of shoes that I have to take. THOSE are what eat up the suitcase space.

Reduce the number of shoes? :eek::eek:

I have to admit -- I am taking my 3-inch leopard print heels, for no other reason than JUST BECAUSE I LOVE THEM! I have this little black dress that goes great with them! I have a pair of peep-toe black pumps that go well with all my formal dresses, and for the others, one pair of strappy heels should do it. But I am going to take those leopard-print pumps, even though they will go with only one outfit. Has anyone ever done that before?

Linda

(confessed shoe whore, thank you very much) :D

I have to admit -- I am taking my 3-inch leopard print heels, for no other reason than JUST BECAUSE I LOVE THEM! I have this little black dress that goes great with them! I have a pair of peep-toe black pumps that go well with all my formal dresses, and for the others, one pair of strappy heels should do it. But I am going to take those leopard-print pumps, even though they will go with only one outfit. Has anyone ever done that before?

Linda

(confessed shoe whore, thank you very much) :D

I have several pair of leopard print shoes. I wear them with black, chocolate brown, taupe, coral, teal, you name it.

It is my fav neutral!

Reduce the number of shoes? :eek::eek:

LOL...not as bad as it sounds. For my upcoming 5 day I'm taking 6 pair of shoes...plus the ones I wear on.

For the 12 day Med trip in August I'll probably try to stick to that number as well...heck that averages to 1 pair per 2 days...I can live with that. I love shoes but I'd rather sacrifice a pair that I would only wear once in order to fit in more outfits.

For the 12 day Med trip in August I'll probably try to stick to that number as well...heck that averages to 1 pair per 2 days...I can live with that. I love shoes but I'd rather sacrifice a pair that I would only wear once in order to fit in more outfits.

cookingchick, in the Med, you be planning to buy shoes, not pack them:D.

I feel like the odd-woman out here :p , I try to cut back on packing wherever possible. Not just for the sake of not having to haul it all along, but having to organize everything once you get there, only to repeat when you re-pack to come back home. Unless you have a suite with a walk in closet, you may find you don't have enough space for all these clothes.

I would bet that you will come home with several outfits unworn, especially if you pack like this with your day time clothes. You may find that you are a bit more dressed up on casual nights in cocktail dresses (not that there is anything wrong with that!). Black (or another color) pants will coordinate with several tops and would fit right in.

No matter how many suitcases you pack (you'll probably need one full size per person, plus carry on and maybe even a garment bag), don't forget to cross pack at least one outfit per person in each suitcase. If one case goes missing, you'll still have at least that.

No one can really tell you how to pack, once you've made up your mind and you do have to do what works best for you. But, you might consider wearing (at the very least) the same clothes the first and last night. That would eliminate 3-4 outfits right there. I highly doubt anyone would know or pay attention to it.

My daughter was just like yours for a time, I could not get her into a pair of pants. When she turned about 4 1/2 she all of a sudden refused to wear a dress at all, a total turnaround.

My final thoughts are that you should stage a "practise" packing and see how this will all work out. I use a rolling rack, set up in the living room so I can see everything that is going into the cases. That way, I can visually see how much is there, where I can cut back and also tell what shoes are a must, which ones can stay home. It also gives me the opportunity to select all the accessories and hang them with each outfit, then I don't have to try to remember if something got packed or not.

Whew, OK, done :rolleyes:

I need to save room for my wine and my books, so I cut back on clothing. It's all about personal priorities:p

[and before anyone flames me, I cruise on lines that ALLOW passengers to bring wine--Princess & HAL--so I'm NOT doing anything against the rules:rolleyes: ]

Next year, when we do a European river cruise, I'm really going to have to test my limits of reasonable packing!! Fortunately, no formal nights for that though....

I wear something different every night. I bring two formal outfits and then skirts and tops for the other nights. What the heck- it's my vacation and I'm going to get dressed up because I like to! My 8 y.o. daughter brings something different for every night, too. So what if I have to bring another suitcase. (And I take lots of shoes, too!)

Barb

Archived