Train or Drive to Seward

little miss s

What would be better?

1. Drive to Seward and do a full-day boat tour at Kenai Fjord.

2. Take the train to Seward and do a half-day boat tour at Kenai Fjord.

Apparently due to the length of the tour and the hours the train runs, I can't have both the train and a full-day boat tour. Either way it's a very long day. I'm already pre-paid in Anchorage for 3 nights, so staying in Seward overnight isn't really an option.

I've heard the train scenery is pretty awesome. Is the train that much better than driving?

Thanks for your advice.

What would be better?

1. Drive to Seward and do a full-day boat tour at Kenai Fjord.

2. Take the train to Seward and do a half-day boat tour at Kenai Fjord.

Apparently due to the length of the tour and the hours the train runs, I can't have both the train and a full-day boat tour. Either way it's a very long day. I'm already pre-paid in Anchorage for 3 nights, so staying in Seward overnight isn't really an option.

I've heard the train scenery is pretty awesome. Is the train that much better than driving?

Thanks for your advice.

How many are going? If cost is an issue, the more that are going, the cheaper the car becomes (per person).

What is considered a "half day boat tour"? Hopefully at least 6 hours.

If it were me, I would take the car, get there early, maximize your time - do the 6 hour boat tour and also see Exit Glacier or the Sealife Center before or after. Train is supposed to be "prettier" but with your limited time, maximizing my time would be my first priorirty.

Even though you have prepaid 3 days in Anchorage, is it worth the significant limitations of the location??? Frankly, I would not be in a area, that I wasn't touring in. Getting to and touring Alaska is costly, I would not be wasting time in transit nor in an area that is a one day stop.

Were you planning on activities there? Seward is definately worth more than a day trip. So my suggestion, take a car to Seward and an early start. Have 2 drivers on your rental contract, since you don't want anyone driving sleepy. Seward Highway can be congested.

Even with driving, you are not going to have time for the longest tour, Northwestern Fjords. Most of the other trips are similar, so go with what fits your time best, and perhaps, rethink your location. Seward is a gem, not to be missed.

Archived