NCLA--which ship and crew best??

Tarheelbelle

My first cruise was in Hawaii years ago. I would like to go back and am considering all available options and cruiselines. I know there have been many complaints about NCLA ships on this board. I would like an honest opinion from those who have cruised these ships as to whether the lower cost of these cruises makes up for the problems. In other words, should I just go ahead and book on HAL or Princess and forget NCLA? I am not trying to bash NCLA; I just know about the negative posts and am trying to get good info before I book.

I don't know of any cruise critic has sailed on all three ships to provide a clear opinion yet. And in my opinion reviews more than 3 to 6 months old are misleading. Most of the crew turns over during that time frame, don't reflect menu changes, etc.

While the Pride of Hawaii is the largest and newest ship, the other two ships aren't what I consider antiques either. The Pride of America is only a year older than the PoH, and the Pride of Aloha will be doing a better longer itinerary come this fall, she is only maybe 7 years in age. She had a thorough refurbishment before sailing to Hawaii.

Yes, they change as the crew changes. I believe the Pride of Aloha was getting better reviews before Christmas....

But to really answer the OP's original question, one would have to have sailed on the three different ships in the last six months. I don't know whether anyone has done this, or whether anyone will. In another year, the ratings could be reversed.

Thanks for responding. I guess I probably worded the query incorrectly. Maybe I left out important words!

"I would like an honest opinion from those who have cruised ANY OF these ships as to whether the lower cost of these cruises makes up for the problems."

I.e. Will the lower costs on NCLA make up for service and food which are inferior to HAL, Princess, or Celebrity for a Hawaiian cruise?

"I would like an honest opinion from those who have cruised ANY OF these ships as to whether the lower cost of these cruises makes up for the problems."

I.e. Will the lower costs on NCLA make up for service and food which are inferior to HAL, Princess, or Celebrity for a Hawaiian cruise?

Good question. This is something that my group has been discussing all week while on Pride of Hawaii.

After trying all of the dining options onboard, we all agreed that in order to get service and food that is sort of comparable to more traditional cruise lines (or in some cases, even *edible*... and we're not food snobs), you have to shell out the extra bucks to do the specialty restaurants. And there goes your savings. (yes they're worth it..just budget it in)

Does the lower cost make up for the "problems"? That really depends on what problems you consider... problems.

If you don't mind slow, sketchy service in restaurants... minimal to no service directed at your stateroom...and general chaos where the staff is concerned... then yeah, maybe the cost is a reasonable trade-off.

Here's our consensus though - knowing what we know now... we would forego the "savings" of an NCLA ship, and choose a more traditional cruise experience. In the end, the costs are probably the same, but the experience a little more rewarding.

Archived