Zuiderdam vs. Westerdam

jamesm

Any comments about physical condition of one ship versus the other? I have read a number of reviews which indicate the Zuiderdam may be looking a bit tattered. Also, there are comments that the dining room service may not be up to snuff.

We're planning to take parents on a special cruise in November and would be booking two suites. We do not eat in the Lido restaurant typically but prefer to use the main dining room. Also, what's the deal with suite occupants getting breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill? We've done three cruises on Celebrity with parents in the past and don't want this cruise to be anything less. Thanks for any help.

Both ships are scheduled for their refits in drydock. Westerdam goes in this spring and I'm not sure when Zuiderdam does hers. We were on Westerdam last September in an aft SC suite. She is beautiful and just 3 years old. We'll be back on her next fall for for an atlantic crossing. She has a great crew and is very well organized.

I've never been on Zuiderdam, I think her launch date was 2002, she has a loyal following. Check the search feature for Candy's posts, she has many pix and reviews.

We've had S suites on several HAL ships and have always been overjoyed. I'd suggest that you choose by itinerary. I guess I'm partial to Westerdam but probably only because I've never been on her sister.

And yes suite guests can breakfast in the Pinnacle but it's almost the same menu as the main DR.

GN

We sailed the Zuiderdam in June 2003 and just got back from sailing her again this past week. I thought she was in excellent condition. If I had to find something negative to say....there were a few small chips on the flooring in our bathroom, but that's it. The bed linens were lovely (Egyptian cotton) and the new mattresses were comfortable (ours was dated Dec. 2005). We've never sailed on the new Westerdam so can't comment on her. Because we booked so close to sailing, our dining room time was 8:30 and that's just too late for us, so we ate all our meals in the Lido buffet. We observed the night's dress code and looked out of place on the formal/informal nights. The Lido was nice if you wanted extremely casual dining. We've done the casual dining on Celebrity's Millennium and it was far more upscale and the people were much nicer dressed, but perhaps that's because it was the Mediterranean. On Zuiderdam it was mainly shorts and tank tops/t-shirts. DH had actually tried to book Westerdam so we could see what she was like, but it was fully booked. I'd agree with grannynurse, pick the itinerary you like and go for it!!

Lynn

Archived