Looking for suggestions Manzanillo, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo

1quilter1

LOL...nope, got my glass slipper but I've lost my Zuiderdam....I keep thinking " someone else is in my cabin now" LOL MY cabin :D

I think we were at the Turtle farm for about an hour...we watched a video which was very interesting, wandered around for a while, watched all the adult turtles....no babies, wrong time of year apparently...Paco told us it was a really big deal to release the babies...they get all the school children out and hand them each a baby....how exciting that must be to see !!! hmmmmm maybe I need to find out exactly when the little critters will be ready and book a cruise during that time ...knew I'd think of a (another ) good reason to go cruising !

Oh I can relate to that (loosing my cabin). I always wonder the same thing. I am going to be in the same cabin on the same ship as I was last year when I went to Hawaii. We went on the Spirit. I hide something in the cabin so I could find it when I come back this Oct. Silly huh?

I guess I will have to email Paco and see when they release babies. I imagine its just when eggs hatch so probably at random times. I have two boys that will be so happy to get to release babies.

Did you see town first and then go to the turtle farm. Paco said we would have lunch in Colma or Colima (forgot which). I'm excited to see those towns. I guess it's pretty. They are near Volcanos. The kids like volcano's.

Debbie....that's a cool idea...will be interesting to see if it's still there...hope you hid it well !!

We did some shopping first, then the market, then out to the turtle sanctuary ( there's a swimming pool there, by the way )....lunch was later than expected but we had some munchies in our bags so we were fine...we had lunch at La Boquita beach....mostly locals there...food was good...portions more than we could eat...

Paco had said they keep the babies for a while after they hatch....to give them a better chance of surviving....so make sure you ask when they're going to be released, not necessarily when they hatch...

We didn't go to the volcanoes...will do that next trip !! :D

I did hide it well so it should still be there when I return. Aren't I silly? :D

I emailed Paco regarding the baby turtles (and I told him hi for you). He said he could arrange to have turtles for my kids to release. According to him Oct. is a good time of year. They will love it.

The towns of Colima and Colma are supposed to be beautiful with great architecture. One of them is near the Volcano but I don't know which one. I love taking pictures so I figure it will be a great opportunity to do that, plus I want the kids to see it.

We are going to the beach in Zih. so that will give us our beach day. We also plan to do a little shopping there, as long as I can find non touritsy junk.

October....I'll have to keep that in mind....we're definitely returning to Manzanillo....may rent a place and stay there for a few weeks....but then there's so many cruises I haven't tried yet....oh the decisions !!

Your itinerary for the day sounds great.....I know you'll find lots of interesting targets for your pictures....we used the video function on our camera a lot and so glad we did.....especially places like the market, the jungle, getting all those sounds....and the sound of the wake :)

I'm with you on the cruise thing. I keep saying I'll plan a land vacation and then book a cruise. There ARE so many cruises and I know I'll never get to go on all that I want to. What's a girl to do. :o

We've been looking at a vacation tonight, online....trip to the Galapagos, and Machu Pichu....cruising....and train to Machu Pichu.....two places we really, really want to see !!

Me too. I would love to go to Machu Pichu, amoung a million other places. Celebrity cruises has a cruise that goes to the Galapogos. My manager just came back and loved it. You might think of that. We would love to do it. They kids would too. Since I have the next 2 years booked up I will have to wait untill that is done.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey PACURN. Sounds like we are on the same wave length, but you are a yead ahead of us. We are booked on the Spirt to the MR next March and plan on the Destiny in 09. I have emailed Rosie to see if we can book her when we are there. Please let me know how your trip to Mexico goes. Thanks, Mike

Hey Mike, Sorry you are a year ahead of us. We are alot of fun. We are looking at a repo cruise for the Spirit in 09. Word has it that it will be going to NOLA thru the canal. I'm all over that. I'm hoping it will go in Oct after it's Alaska and Hawaii run so we can book our usuall time. Ditch Destiny in 09 and come with us. How cool is it to just drive down to the peir? Plus to have the pleasure of cruising with a local.

I will definantly put in a word about Rosie and all the other stuff I do. I think Rosie will be great. She has been really nice.

Hi Debbie. All that sounds fun. Hopefully we can all get together one of these days. We will have at least 20 family members on our trip to the MR in March. I read a lot of bad stuff about the Destiny, but I belive a trip is what you make it, and my DW and I are adventouris, so I am sure we will like that one too. We are also looking at a Scandanavian cruise and I have my eye on a Meditterainian cruise that stops in Egypt. I have always wanted to see the Pyramids. The only draw back is you either start in Rome (OK) and end up in Turkey (ugg) or vice versa. Haven't heard back from Rosie yet. Hope she can handle 20 people.....Mike

Hi Mike

I have also heard lots of bad stuff about the Desitny. A vacation is what one makes of it. One can always find the bad in anything. I just don't look for it, and roll with the punchs. Stuff happens. I refuse to let negativity ruin my life. It's not good for the soul. I rather spend my time being happy, especially when I'm on vacation.

The Desitiny is going into dry dock a couple of months before I sail her so all should be good.

Rosie should be able to handle your group. Her husband Arturo has a van also and does tours. If they have enough people they do it together. This is what they are doing with our group. We have her faily booked up. As far as I know it's all Spirit people. Poor Rosie doesn't know what she's up against :eek: Hope there's lots of beer. :o

I wanted to book a cruise to the Med. but could bring myself to pay that much. I travel with two boys 10 and 12, so for the four of us it was alot of money. Thats why I switched to the Destiny. I can get us to PR fairly reasonably. I'd have to work way to much OT to go to the Med. I'd be dead. Maybe someday. I sure would like to see the Pyrimids also.

There are many things to do in Acapulco, most of which are included in the major guidebooks. I find the Moon and Lonely Planet guides to the Pacific Coast of Mexico to be very good.

Great pictures in your albums! Thanks!

Hi Debbie. All that sounds fun. Hopefully we can all get together one of these days. We will have at least 20 family members on our trip to the MR in March. I read a lot of bad stuff about the Destiny, but I belive a trip is what you make it, and my DW and I are adventouris, so I am sure we will like that one too. We are also looking at a Scandanavian cruise and I have my eye on a Meditterainian cruise that stops in Egypt. I have always wanted to see the Pyramids. The only draw back is you either start in Rome (OK) and end up in Turkey (ugg) or vice versa. Haven't heard back from Rosie yet. Hope she can handle 20 people.....Mike

Hi guys - we're doing Acapulco to Seattle next April on the Star Princess. I've enjoyed the suggestions you've made.

Mike - re: your Med cruise. Not sure if you've been to Turkey....don't discount it if you haven't. We actually just got back from the Med (Barcelona-Venice). We booked this itinerary because of all the stops in Italy. We ended up loving Barcelona, Marseille, Mykonos (Greece), Kusadasi (Turkey) and Istanbul (Turkey) the best! Italy was waaaaay too crowded. Unfortunately the Egypt dates didn't work for us - but hope to get there someday! Just remember if you fly into or out of Turkey, you need a visa. Have fun planning!

I'm off to look up Rosie for our day in Acapulco :)

• 4 months later...
Golferdog:

I read that Coconuts is a yummy place to dine in Zihua. Can you tell me how far it is from the cruise tender dock? What are your favorites dishes from this restaurant? We would like to go for lunch. Thanks for posting your experiences.

?...."Coconuts".... in Zihua......:rolleyes:

Anyone have any information on this restaurant?

Location? Walk from dock?

Selection of food? :p

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Acapulco, Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo. The following are two independent tours and one restaurant that we really enjoyed.

Acapulco - We did a city tour with Maria and were very happy with her and the tour. The price was very reasonable. You can e-mail her at: pinkladyaca@hotmail.com

In Zihuatanejo we had lunch at the 3 Amigos restaurant (Pedro Ascencio / 5 De Mayo, behind a church). It's owned by an American and the food / service was great. It was also very clean.

Manzanillo - We toured with Paco who owns Chimal Tours. We saw a lot of country plus lunch. He can be reached at:chimaltours@prodigy.net.mx

:mad: We just returned from the Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera cruise. We were scheduled to join another couple and visit the Turtle Sanctuary, Manzanillo Central Market, and Miramar with Paco of Chimal Tours. We had agreed on $40 USD per person for a full day tour.

There was no other couple and Paco handed us off to Carlos who didn’t speak English. Because there was so little communication we only spent half a day and were back to the ship about noon. Carlos said we owed $80 for the Turtle Sanctuary and another $80 for the Beach. That’s about all the English he could muster and Paco was nowhere to be found. I finally gave up and gave him all of the money I had with me - $120.

The tour wasn’t even worth half what we agreed to and Manzanillo is pitiful. The beach was OK but so are all of the beaches in Mexico. Avoid Manzanillo but if you must go, insist on an English speaking guide and get the price in writing before you go.

Los Gatos Beach is in Zihua, not Ixtapa, and it is a must. One of the best beaches I've ever been to. Lots of fun, great food, calm water, great snorkling.

Acapulco depends upon how adventurous you are. We explored the fort, which is right across the street from the cruise terminal. This was well worth the time, a very interesting presentation on the history of the area. We then went exploring through downtown Acapulco and the Zocalo. Very interesting, but not for the weak of spine. Lots of beggars and people trying to sell you all sorts of stuff. We spent the afternoon at Playa Condesa in Acapulco bay. Beautiful setting, dirty beach, interesting people watching. At night, we made a reservation at the El Mirador Hotel for dinner and watched the cliff divers. That was a lot of fun. You can make reservations through the internet, and take a taxi from the cruise terminal to the hotel.

All in all, Zihua was our favorite port, the beach and great shopping. I was glad I went to Acapulco, but I'm not in a rush to go back.

How did you make reservations on line for the El Mirador, I am not finding it.

• 4 weeks later...
We hired Paco from Chimal Tours for our day in Manzanillo...and it turned out to be our favourite port day of the entire trip !! He seems to have a knack for where to take you and makes everything fun....he is very knowledgeable ....we went shopping ( of course ), went to a fabulous local market ( not flea market, not touristy..this was a real market ), the turtle sanctuary, the salt mines were amazing....several beaches ....as the day goes on, and Paco gets an idea what you like to do, he just takes you there....air-conditioned Suburban, cooler full of ice-cold beer....it was perfect...can't wait to go back to Manzanillo !

How did you find this guide? He sounds great!!

Hi cgprncs17....here's Paco's website and email....we're still planning on returning to Manzanillo for a land trip and we'll definitely want Paco included in our plans....if you're talking to him, say HI to him from Cinderella :D

http://chimaltours.com/index.swf

chimaltour@prodigy.net.mx

btw...we actually found him right here on CC !!

Archived